TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

TNA Notes

NWA:TNA management had their hands full in a big way with Dennis Rodman at last night's Impact! taping. Numerous sources noted that Rodman shot down everything that was suggested by TNA, which was a point of frustration at the taping for many. In the end, Rodman was only willing to be seen coming out and sitting during the main event. Rodman did tape an interview backstage. I was told that if he even interacted with the wrestlers backstage, it was briefly if at that. At one point, Rodman even turned down getting involved to a lesser extent, which would have required him to throw a single punch for a heel to take a bump off.

I was told that the crowd was really hot the entire taping and for the dark matches before Impact! but lost steam bigtime towards the end. They actually headed out the doors during the final dark match in a big way, with more than half the audience walking out. The fans at the taping have been conditioned to know that after the taping ends, there is nothing they need to see taking place. TNA has actually enforced that pattern by letting their production staff ignore what is going on in the ring and begin to break down the Impact! set. TNA needs to put on "name" caliber matches at the end of the show in order to keep the fans in the building, and they need to make sure that production respects what is going on in the ring. It's one thing to begin to pack up backstage, but in front of the fans is an entirely different matter. If they aren't going to do that, they may as well scrap the post-taping matches, as the fans are already indifferent and it's disrespectful to the workers.

The original plan for Impact! was for AJ Styles to wrestle Alex Shelley. When Styles left the taping due to a death in the family, they replaced him with Primetime. Our deepest condolences go out to AJ and his family on their loss. It should be noted that TNA management did everything that could to help Styles get home immediately and should be deeply praised for that.

Speaking of Alex Shelley, I was told he looked great last night at the taping. I know there was interest in offering him a deal, but I'm not sure if he has come to terms.

Misc. Notes on the Impact! taping that Mike Lane's great report here on the site didn't cover. The three members of Team Japan last night were Nosawa, Kazushi Miyamoto and a masked member, who was none other than David Young. Young worked a dark match without the hood as well, so he ended up doing double duty last night at the taping. Mikey Batts, Lex Lovett, and Jerelle Clark worked a dark match, putting over The Elite Guard.

For those who asked, after the TNA PPV went off the air on Wednesday, the babyfaces cleaned houses on the heels and all met in the ring, leading a huge "TNA" chant. When AJ Styles got to his feet, the crowd began chanting his name. He saluted the fans and made his way around the ring slapping hands. I was told it was a really cool moment, and one that would have made a great PPV ending. That said, I thought the cliffhanger on this past week's PPV was awesome.

The Chicago Sports Review ran a piece on TNA this week, featuring quotes from AJ Styles, D'Lo Brown, and Jonny Fairplay putting over the product. They are scheduled to run a piece on Fairplay next week. To read the article, click here.

For those of you in the New York City area, remember that Impact! will air today at 3 PM starting this week.

Sounds like Rodman wasn't worth the hassle at all. Glad TNA is getting some more mainstream press. First, Newsday, now this. Classy move on TNA's part to pay for Styles to get home. Stuff like that will go along way toward keeping workers happy. And glad Skipper is getting the airtime in his place, because he deserved a nice spot as well. And Johnson is right on in the bonus match situation. If the company acts like the match in the ring isn't important, fans are just not going to pay attention to it at all.

Guest whitemilesdavis
NWA:TNA management had their hands full in a big way with Dennis Rodman at last night's Impact! taping. Numerous sources noted that Rodman shot down everything that was suggested by TNA, which was a point of frustration at the taping for many. In the end, Rodman was only willing to be seen coming out and sitting during the main event. Rodman did tape an interview backstage. I was told that if he even interacted with the wrestlers backstage, it was briefly if at that. At one point, Rodman even turned down getting involved to a lesser extent, which would have required him to throw a single punch for a heel to take a bump off.

Well, what do you know, TNA? You ask for stupid crap, you get stupid crap. I, however, fully expect them to sign this jerk. TNA just seems incapable of making good decisions.

According to Meltzer, the death in AJ's family was that his brother had committed suicide. :( I don't really know what to say in that situation. My best wishes go out to AJ and his family. It's really unfortunate he has to deal with that.

That's really sad for AJ and his family.

As for having their big name matches at the end of the taping, why the heck aren't they doing that now? Stupidity.

The Rodman appearance also sounded ridiculous.