TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DonWestMark03

ALPHA MALE!

Guest DonWestMark03

By the way, Nelly's Bandaid, you can save yourself a lot of time, and just use the quote button to quote people, instead of typing the quotes over again, or copying and pasting them.

Monte Brown's Pro's:

-Charismatic. The fans seem genuinely into his character, and I can't really blame them.

-Natural. He seems damn fine in the ring in the sense that he knows where he is at all times, not just kayfabe-wise.

-Gimmick. He's into his gimmick COMPLETELY. He's not playing it off as a joke, like most probably would with this gimmick, but he's making it believable, as if he really IS hunting his opponents.

-Psychology. He sells fairly well, has decent timing for someone as green as he is, and most of his moves focus on the ribs (knocking the wind out of the opponent) and the head (knocking the opponent out).

-Look. He just LOOKS like a professional wrestler, like an animal that would rip out your heart to get what he wants. He has a killer look to him in the ring, his facial expressions always making sure the fans know he wants to not only win, but brutalize his opponent.

Monte Brown's Cons:

-Moveset. When Brown was first in TNA, his moveset was quite large. He would hit several different kinds of power moves, and hit them crisply. He would use moves in each match that he'd rarely used before, if ever. Now he resorts to the crossface punches to the ribs, slowing down the pace, and hitting the same spots in every bout.

-Finisher. This only differs from the moveset because it is THE move that is supposed to help define the worker. While THE POUNCE is effective in the sense that it can be hit quick and is easy to do, like all great finishers are (Roberts' DDT, DDP's Diamond Cutter, Foley's Mandible Claw, Rock's Rock Bottom, Austin's Stunner, etc.), it is just a glorified shoulderblock, with no real force behind it. It makes sense because his football background is made known to all TNA fans, but it doesn't make sense because for such a strong, "brutal" wrestler (in kayfabe) as Brown, his move is a transition hold. It would be like the high-flying Amazing Red using a body splash as a finisher: it doesn't make sense when the fans know he can use better moves.

-Attire. A very small con, but a con nonetheless. His jaguar-striped (as leopards have SPOTS) tights have got to go. Come up with a design that suits him instead of something from an 80's aerobics video.

-Promo's. While he does seem comfortable on them, he resorts to using his "catchphrases" too much. He just uses them to end his promo's, and doesn't build to them at all. One thing a great catchphrase should do is have build to it, or at least be spontaneous enough that it catches on. Brown's catchphrase of "and that's the POUNCE........PERIOD" seems too overly forced for him. His promo's when he was first in TNA were eons better, and then he was only a midcarder with no real programs going on.

What's funny, though, is that most of the con's are the things that the bookers are responsible for, and not the worker.

I agree with Laz.

By the way, it's nice to see you back in the folder, Laz. you've been missed.

Guest whitemilesdavis

I know it's been said before, but Brown needs someone to carry him to a few great matches. D-Lo can't do it. Maybe Shelley, now that he is a TNA regular?

I don't think it's that Brown needs to necessarily be carried to a really good match, I think it's just he needs to drop the "indestructable monster" routine in the ring and become a wrestler that is vulnerable, but still dominates. Remember how much the IWC liked the fact that Brock Lesnar was being pushed as a monster, but still sold for everybody to make it seem like they had a chance? Monte should be doing the same.

But, if they want to stick him in the ring against somebody that could help teach him, I'd say put him in with Jerry Lynn. He's the most experienced person on their active roster (that isn't FJJ), and could probably teach Monte a few things.

Guest The Last Free Voice

I like the idea of a program with D-Lo, as their styles SHOULD mesh pretty well, and D-Lo could teach him some things. Problem is that thus far that hasn't worked out so well.

Guest whitemilesdavis

Laz is dead on. Don't waste Shelley yet. A feud with Lynn could make Brown look GREAT, and well, it's not exactly like they've got much for Jerry right now. That has potential to be really good.