TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle

Confession time - I've never been to an In-N-Out Burger. But in the end, a burger joint is still a burger joint. Some may suck more than others though...

Hey, I was at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto today and there was like a huge festival to promote this movie. I shit you not. They were giving out free burgers and blonde roller girls were skating around passing out tatoos and stickers and other freebies. I was about to get a John Cho cup but the dude gave me a cup with the logo on it instead. They had a sidewalk artist draw large version of the movie's logo. For some reason there were tents with charicature artists and spray-painted t-shirt lettering, too. There was a toss game where contestants had to throw these Fisher-Price rubber hamburgers into holes cut out on a board where Harold and Kumar's mouths are. The whole time I was there, all I could think was: "They're doing all this for THAT movie?"

Guest combat_rock
Hey, I was at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto today and there was like a huge festival to promote this movie. I shit you not. They were giving out free burgers and blonde roller girls were skating around passing out tatoos and stickers and other freebies. I was about to get a John Cho cup but the dude gave me a cup with the logo on it instead. They had a sidewalk artist draw large version of the movie's logo. For some reason there were tents with charicature artists and spray-painted t-shirt lettering, too. There was a toss game where contestants had to throw these Fisher-Price rubber hamburgers into holes cut out on a board where Harold and Kumar's mouths are. The whole time I was there, all I could think was: "They're doing all this for THAT movie?"

Well, then it had better be good....

BTW, does anyone know when it's out? Or is it already?

Meanwhile, over here in Dallas we don't have a White Castle, but I do know the tale. White Castle gives you a bag of 30 cheapass sliders for like 15 bucks...and it doesn't cost half as much for the bottle of pepto bismol you will need afterwards. It's all good.

Oh, and the place we all go to these days is the ihop about ten miles down the road. We could go to the one in our town, but it isn't 24 hours, and it's all no smoking...so we trek down a two lane road that has been under construction since Clinton was in the White House.

It's a ridiculous thing, but we go there so often as a group of five to ten people each night, there's enough material to write a movie that lasts three and a half hours. God, so many nights wasted over the last seven months. But eh, could be worse...I mean, I could be one of those preps who hangs out at Wendy's all evening, sitting on the tailgait of his truck, reminiscing about the time they played football two years ago....and were a Von Dutch hat...motherfuckers with their hats!! ;)

FYI....there is not much to do around here in these suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth.

Anyways...this will probably become a cult classic..has all the makings of it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
We could go to the one in our town, but it isn't 24 hours, and it's all no smoking

What kind of broke-ass IHOP is that supposed to be? Non smoking sections should be burned.

Hey, I was at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto today and there was like a huge festival to promote this movie. I shit you not. They were giving out free burgers and blonde roller girls were skating around passing out tatoos and stickers and other freebies ...(snip)... The whole time I was there, all I could think was: "They're doing all this for THAT movie?"

You forgot to mention that in Canada there is no White Castle. There's McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Harvey's and A&W, but nothing that sells stuff remotely like a slider. I think that most people just go to Timmy Ho's if they've got the munchies.

btw, have they built anything on that corner next to the HMV yet? I haven't been to Yonge/Dundas in a long time...

Waffle House too is a meeting place for a lot of my buddies, but any other people have the problem of there being like 20 WaHo's in your direct area, so that when someone says MEET AT WAFFLE HOUSE and everyone drives off it takes some phone tag to realize, "Oh you mean the one on Peachtree Industrial next to Pizza hut, not the one on Peachtree Industrial next to the movies, or the one on Peachtree Industrial next to QT, etc. etc."

i've had this experience many times. i can't tell you how many incidents i've had of calling people to meet with them at waffle house, asking them which one, them telling me the road it's on, and me calling from the OTHER waffle house on the same road wondering where they are. there's the waffle house on belair BEFORE the interstate, then there's the waffle house on belair AFTER the interstate (you can actually SEE one waffle house from the other one), then there's the waffle house on washington by evans 12, then there's the waffle house on washington by burger king, and many others.

Guest SP-1
That's why you go Steak and Shake. There usually aren't too many of those around, and they've got those great hats.

And freakin' AWESOME Chili. TAKHOMASAK~!

Guest TheJewof2001

I just watched the trailer and this is one funny movie. Doogie is in it, nuff said.

btw, have they built anything on that corner next to the HMV yet? I haven't been to Yonge/Dundas in a long time...

No. Right now it's still surrounded by boards and huge L'oreal Ads. I've peeked in occasionally and I can tell you that right now it's still one massive hole that they still seem to be digging out. The new Eaton Centre is finally shaping up nicely, though.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

I'm interested, there hasn't been a good stoner flick recently and the asian guy(god I hate saying that) always seems to make me laugh.

As long as there's a joke about White Castles irritatingly tiny burgers and how it relates to cooling off the munchies I'm sure to laugh once.

We could go to the one in our town, but it isn't 24 hours, and it's all no smoking

What kind of broke-ass IHOP is that supposed to be? Non smoking sections should be burned.

One located in the middle of preppie suburbia...the town I live in is damned anal. Only one restaurant to have a cigarette in...in a town of 60000.

Non smoking sections blow. No doubt.

Guest combat_rock

I wouldn't say that non-smoking sections blow, but not having any choice at all does. There's a big difference.

Guest Choken One

I agree...Non-Smoking sections are a good thing.

Excuse me for not wanting cancer seeping into my eggs and toast. If you want that cig so bad, step outside and choke on it and inhale more cancer but don't bring it to my plate.

I'm interested, there hasn't been a good stoner flick recently and the asian guy(god I hate saying that) always seems to make me laugh.

You can say "the Korean guy" for a change of pace...

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I agree...Non-Smoking sections are a good thing.

Excuse me for not wanting cancer seeping into my eggs and toast. If you want that cig so bad, step outside and choke on it and inhale more cancer but don't bring it to my plate.

You motherfucker you, I'm glad you're banned now.

*blows smoke in his children's faces*

Yeah, I too saw the sneak preview at the new Deluxe 16. This movie was hilarious, awesome stuff. Not sure if it's the best stoner comedy ever but in terms of recent stuff I'd rank it with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back in terms of stoner comedies that had some sophistication.

You know what's funny? After seeing it we (my brother, my friend Ian, and I) went to the nearby White Castle down the road! I bet half the crowd from the theater was there, haha.

Guest tangerine

I feel sorry for all the pimply 15 year old geeks and 55 year old grannies working the counter for White Castle when this movie finally goes national.

Oh, make no mistake. This movie more than any other I've seen really gives you the urge to consume a product. In this case, it is White Castle hamburgers. I wasn't even hungry (I'd eaten Chinese earlier in the day) but after the movie I was ready to go to White Castle. Heh.

Guest Vitamin X

*bump*

Well I saw it last night after the Vilage was completely sold out, but even the 12:30am showing of Harold & Kumar was pretty packed, so I expect those two to be the top two for this weekend.

This movie made me want to get high more than anything, damn job hunt. This movie was MUCH better than Dude, Where's My Car? but the comedy is somewhat similar. I'd recommend it, though it's surely not a "highbrow" comedy and probably better aimed at younger folks.

this movie was EXTREME!!!!

Dull movie. The only part I really laughed at was Kumar imagining going through life together with the bag of weed. That "freakshow" crap was awful and the end was too Back to the Future-ish for me. You could even call it "too Super Mario Brothers-ish". I'm not too hyped for Harold and Kumar Go to Amsterdam. Overall, it was disappointing. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a WAY better "buddies-on-road-trip-resulting-in-hijinks" movie, but whatever floats the stoners' boats, I guess.

It's called Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies in Britain, since White Castle isn't known at all over there.

I have no idea what CM Funk meant in his critiques. Unless this does extremely well, and I'm talking SUPER well, there won't be a Harold and Kumar Go To Amsterdam. And if by too BTTF-ish you meant a guy who gets bullied around stands up for himself, then welcome to any film that has a downtrodden guy who gets picked on.

Saw it again last night, and it was just as funny.

EXTREME CHEDDAR!!!!!!