TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This (Half) Week in Baseball

If the Jays weren't horrible, tonight's loss could have been the worst ever. Batista takes a 2 hitter, 5-1 lead into the 8th before he hits the wall. He gives up 2 runs and leaves 2 on before getting an out and getting pulled for Vinny Chulk who gets the 1st 2 guys out before walking someone and serving up a nice grand slam to Texiera and giving the Rangers the nice 7-5 win. I don't think I've ever seen a game turn from a sure win into a heartbreaking loss so quickly.

What the fuck is wrong with this team?

Guest Anglesault
If the Jays weren't horrible, tonight's loss could have been the worst ever. Batista takes a 2 hitter, 5-1 lead into the 8th before he hits the wall. He gives up 2 runs and leaves 2 on before getting an out and getting pulled for Vinny Chulk who gets the 1st 2 guys out before walking someone and serving up a nice grand slam to Texiera and giving the Rangers the nice 7-5 win. I don't think I've ever seen a game turn from a sure win into a heartbreaking loss so quickly.

Am I the only one that counts three outs before the grandslam?

Guest Anglesault

ah.

I think Kruk said it best.

Bad things happen to bad teams

But they shouldn't be a bad team, that's the problem. They won 86 games last year and improved their starting pitching, which was one of their biggest problems. The only change made in their offence was Chris Gomez replacing Mike Bordick, not exactly an earth shattering move. They shouldn't be in last place.

But they shouldn't be a bad team, that's the problem. They won 86 games last year and improved their starting pitching, which was one of their biggest problems. The only change made in their offence was Chris Gomez replacing Mike Bordick, not exactly an earth shattering move. They shouldn't be in last place.

I'd say an injury to Carlos Delgado and the collapse of Josh Phelps hurt the team.

Guest FrigidSoul

Not to mention injuries to Vernon Wells and Roy Halladay. I really do think Halladay was over pitched last year. I don't see the need for any pitcher to throw 11innings in one game, especially when their team doesn't have a chance at the playoffs. Its just asking for future problems.

Not to mention injuries to Vernon Wells and Roy Halladay. I really do think Halladay was over pitched last year. I don't see the need for any pitcher to throw 11innings in one game, especially when their team doesn't have a chance at the playoffs. Its just asking for future problems.

That was a ten inning game, and Halladay threw just 99 pitches. I don't know why the boxscore never updated through the tenth inning, but Halladay's 2003 Game Log shows the full stat line.

Guest FrigidSoul

Look at his IP numbers too

2001: 105.1

2002: 239.1

2003: 266

He went from doubling his IP and entering a number he'd never before seen from 01 to 02 to further increasing it last year.

He's had the most IP in the last 2 seasons with 505.1 IP.

Second most IP in the last 2 seasons is Bartolo Colon with 475.1 IP.

Its not very surprising he's having shoulder problems.

They were generally efficient innings however. Halladay only walked 32 batters in those 266 IP. Pitcher Abuse Points ranks him all the way down at 43rd over last season, and only once did he top 122 pitches. I am not saying the workload hurt his arm, but there is no indication that the injury resulted from overuse.

His IP doubled from 2001 to 2002 since he started '01 in A ball to work on his mechanics and didn't get called up until a few months into the season. And he stayed in for the whole 10 innings because, like Al said, he didn't throw very many pitches (he took a no-hitter into the 7th, I think, and it was against the Tigers) and Tosca wanted him to get the win, probably since he figured it might help his Cy Young chances. And now he's gone for 4-6 weeks.

And Delgado getting hurt didn't help, but he wasn't really setting the world on fire before he got hurt, same with Wells. I really don't know what's wrong with Phelps, either. He's shown some flashes where he's been on fire, but you know he's pretty far down the totem poll when he wasn't playing 1st while Delgado was out and wasn't even DHing most of the time.