TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This (Half) Week in Baseball

The ump WAS pretty all over the place (for both teams) all night, and Ortiz has a knack for not agreeing with 3rd strike calls. When the call came (it was borderline, IMO), Ortiz was mad, but seemed to be calm; once Francona came out to restrain him and the ref tossed him out, THEN he went bonkers. How much? It took Francona, the 3rd base coach, and one other guy to keep him away from the ump.

Once he got into the dugout, he tossed out two bats, one of which almost hit one of the other two umpires who were standing on the first base line.

Guest Anglesault
. How much? It took Francona, the 3rd base coach, and one other guy to keep him away from the ump.

Reminds me of the hideous called strike 3 on Posada where Torre and Kenny Lofton (of all people) had to come charging over to restrain Jorge. Posada calmed down somewhat after that though.

Guest Anglesault

Are you on drugs?

You seem to be rambling about nothing.

Nope. Just failed attempts at humor

Ah, we've all been there.

I called my parents house and told them to turn on ESPN News (My dad follows baseball and my mom watches the yankees) to see the Ortiz incident.

My Mom: That guy looks like Shrek.

Pretty good pitching matchup today between Lidle & Marquis in Cincinnati. 1-0 Reds right now, but Marquis keeps finding ways to get runners on base. the Reds may be due for a big inning.

Guest Choken One

The Reds blow a 4-0 lead again with Pujols delivering the tying home run shot but Dunn finally decides to swing and takes a monster out for 3 run shot to take the 7-4 lead and graves manages not to fuck it up and the Reds manage to hold onto a lead for a win.

Mets get destroyed by the Phils again. The Mets need to make a move or they won't be playing "meaningful games" in September. They are in a HORRIFIC team slump and if the Phils win tomorrow, they pretty much bury the Mets. By the way, if the Mets fall out of it, I will root hard for the Phils to win the division over Atlanta.

Guest Anglesault
The Mets need to make a move or they won't be playing "meaningful games" in September.

I was going to say something here, but I decided against it. I'm sure most of you can figure out what I wanted to say.

I don't think the ump's strike zone was all over the place. It was just incredibly small. At any rate, there was no need for Ortiz to go crazy like that. Bad calls are annoying, but throwing baseball bats around is stupid, especially when they come to as close to hitting others as they did last night.

And Ben Sheet's scoreless inning streak comes to an end, as Sosa homers in the first and Alou homers, as well. Good to see, but I still can't help but think how bad the Cubs would be if they didn't hit the homerun ball. Three hits against the likes of Sheets isn't out of the ordinary, but if they could get guys on base, these homers would be a bit more comforting. Of course, when you've got Paul Bako, Rey Ordonez and Corey Patterson in your lineup, not to mention the pitcher, three hits looks damn good.

Guest Anglesault
I don't think the ump's strike zone was all over the place. It was just incredibly small. At any rate, there was no need for Ortiz to go crazy like that. Bad calls are annoying, but throwing baseball bats around is stupid, especially when they come to as close to hitting others as they did last night.

1090083053_8229.jpg

The ump is just as much at fault.

Something tells me that "screaming" isn't a part of the umpire handbook on how to calm a situation down.

A lot of umps have been provoking situations further by barking back and perhaps, egging others on this year, but that's still no excuse for coming back out of the dugout and throwing a pair of bats at them.

Guest Anglesault
A lot of umps have been provoking situations further by barking back and perhaps, egging others on this year, but that's still no excuse for coming back out of the dugout and throwing a pair of bats at them.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with what he did. (I just think he fucked himself)

Something had to knock these umps down a peg, remind them that they are NOT the attraction, and get them to do their job.

Now these men know that if they constantly fuck up calls and then get in the players face (Something they should never, EVER do, and I fully support that umpire getting fired), they might end up getting hurt.

Now they have motivation to do their jobs the RIGHT way.

Maybe if Angel Hernanzez thought Ivan Rodriguez would punch his teeth in, he wouldn't throw him and his manager out of a game (with ridiculous arm motions) for LAUGHING.

You have a better way to solve this problem?

I'm not on the umpires' side, but when someone blows things so out of proportion as Ortiz did, I can't help but feel he's just trying to cause a spectacle and make the highlight shows. It's nothing more than overpaid athletes acting like infants because things don't go their way.

Guest Anglesault
I'm not on the umpires' side, but when someone blows things so out of proportion as Ortiz did, I can't help but feel he's just trying to cause a spectacle and make the highlight shows. It's nothing more than overpaid athletes acting like infants because things don't go their way.

I really don't think it's blowing the situation out of proportion. When you play baseball (Especially in a division with the Yankees) every game matters. If you feel that an umpire is (or has been, because I'm sure Ortiz' frustration had to be mounting to get that reaction) costing you games through utter incompetance, you can't blow that out of proportion.

BTW, I just learned that that photo was taken after Ortiz was run from the game. So the ump decided it would be a *smart* idea to continue screaming at a guy who he had already ejected.

It's HIS fault that Ortiz was so incensed that he threw baseball bats onto the field.

Ortiz is a relatively laid back guy. I doubt he did something like this to make the "highlight show"

I wasn't necessarily referring to just him when I said that. An incident like with Milton Bradley a few weeks back was a perfect example of overreacting simply for attention.

On a brighter note, Maddux looked like the Maddux of old today, throwing complete game shutout en route to a 5-0 Cub win. And Houston lost again. Time to start selling, me thinks, as the wild card is even starting to look too tough to snag.

I can't believe I predicted Houston to win the World Series. I can't believe it. I also predicted the Expos would finish above .500. And the Clippers would make the playoffs. I am never making a prediciton again!

Guest Anglesault
Even the best hitters don't bat anywhere close to 1.000.

I didn't ask them to. I asked them to hit well when they face bad pitching.

They eventually got around to it.

But after five hits against Bonderman (albeit a *good* five hits) and one hit against Moroth, resorting to bunts and infield singles against Don Knotts was irritating

They could be the Blue Jays, who stranded 13 runners in scoring position while going 0-for-15 in those situations. Just a bit frustrating.

Guest Anglesault
They could be the Blue Jays, who stranded 13 runners in scoring position while going 0-for-15 in those situations. Just a bit frustrating.

I've been through that this year too.

I do want to say that the whole bad pitcher mystery with this team confuses me more than it angers me.