TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This (Half) Week in Baseball

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I never bother with sources, if your dumb ass can't use google by now that's your problem.

Anyway, do the Cubs have any sort of assurance that they can keep Normar for more than 3 months were they to go for him? It's safe to say he'd be an upgrade over Rey Rey, but they would probably have to trade quality prospects to pull this off.

Valentin has outplayed Nomar all year so the chances of the Sox going after him are nil.

Guest Anglesault

There are very few people on the Red Sox that seem to be mentally stable.

I don't mean that as a shot at the Sox from a Yankee fan standpoint, but really, some are just totally off the deep end (Pedro, Manny, Millar) some have this bizarre non-comformist thing going (Jesus, Nomar) and then there is Curt Schilling in general.

And all that hugging. Just a strange group of people in general. Makes the Yankees look normal.

And Manny needs a tailor.

Guest FrigidSoul

They could however move Jose Valentine to third though since Crede has been hitting poorly all season. I doubt they would go for more offense though since they still need to solidify the pitching.

Guest Choken One

I don't mean that as a shot at the Sox from a Yankee fan standpoint, but really, some are just totally off the deep end (Pedro, Manny, Millar) some have this bizarre non-comformist thing going (Jesus, Nomar) and then there is Curt Schilling in general.

And all that hugging. Just a strange group of people in general. Makes the Yankees look normal.

I slightly agree with you, which is why I like this brand of Red Sox more then about anyother team out there.

The Yankees are polished robots....The Red Sox are unconventionaly unpredictable and have a wild roster of characters and amazingly...I believe Manny is the most SANE person on the team. What does that tell you?

I don't know HOW Schilling's ego and Nomar's bitterness and Pedro's Paranoia can get along.

Interesting little bit of news..

The Red Sox say it is now a dead issue, but after fining him three times for noncompliance, Major League Baseball was prepared to suspend shortstop Nomar Garciaparra last week if the MLB logo on the back of his helmet was not visible.

Garciaparra was faced with a suspension starting last Tuesday, according to a source in the commissioner's office, after being fined a total of $4,500 in a dispute that began last season. Garciaparra had detached the logo from his helmet at that time, and had objected to being told to put it back, the source said.

"He said that we hadn't made an issue out of it when he was going bad, so why were we now making an issue of it when he was going good?" the source said. "Why did he care in the first place? I don't know, maybe it was a superstition thing."

MLB sent letters to the player and the Red Sox, and eventually the union entered the dispute, the source said. Garciaparra was fined $1,000 the first time, $1,500 the second, and $2,000 the third, the source said. Even after he reattached the logo, Garciaparra was seen smearing dirt on the helmet, obscuring the logo from sight.

Sandy Alderson, MLB's executive vice president for baseball operations, said yesterday he was aware of the Garciaparra situation but offered no further comment, other than to indicate it was his belief that Garciaparra was now in compliance with the MLB directive regarding the logo, which is about a square inch in size.

"It's a uniform issue," Alderson said.

"Clubs wear uniforms in which certain things are required to be on the uniform. Certain things also may not be worn on the uniform."

The source said that MLB no longer will tolerate the batting helmets of Sox players, including those belonging to Manny Ramirez and Trot Nixon, which are smeared with dirt and pine tar, obscuring the "B" logo on the front of the helmets.

CLEAN YOUR BATTING HELMETS!

Both Chicago teams, the Cubs and White Sox, surfaced in speculation here involving Garciaparra, but a major league source said the Sox are more than happy with the play of the shortstop and aren't close to anything at this time

What's the point of even printing that? The Chicago teams surfaced in speculation. That is pretty much saying, "I've heard alot of trade rumors." Which is no more than we know already.

I slightly agree with you, which is why I like this brand of Red Sox more then about anyother team out there.

The Yankees are polished robots....The Red Sox are unconventionaly unpredictable and have a wild roster of characters and amazingly...I believe Manny is the most SANE person on the team. What does that tell you?

I don't know HOW Schilling's ego and Nomar's bitterness and Pedro's Paranoia can get along.

Oh yeah. The Red Sox are nuts, and that's why I love them. Steinbrenner is the only Yankee with charisma right now, him and his bevy of press releases about everything. I'm wating for "I scratched my ass today. It felt good. In a way, it was like all the Yankee fans of America scratched their collective ass."

The Yankees are in fact, robots. Who needs the Yankees when you've got the anti-establishment, loudmouthed, paranoid, fight-starting, Jesus-impersonating, cowboying-up Red Sox?

The Mariners are expected to release John Olerud by the end of the week if they can't find someone to trade for him.

Guest Anglesault
The Mariners are expected to release John Olerud by the end of the week if they can't find someone to trade for him.

That's a shame. Hopefully John retires and gets a nice job within some organization.

Guest Anglesault

Oh yeah. The Red Sox are nuts, and that's why I love them. Steinbrenner is the only Yankee with charisma right now,

I'd much rather my team be efficient than charismatic.

If the reds do not do well this week Paul Wilson, Cory Lidle, Danny Graves, Todd Jones, Griffey and possibly Adam Dunn (arbitration) will be available for the right price. For Dunn the reds would want a #1 pitching prospect, for Wilson they would want a solid #2 pitching prospect, the rest would be salary dumps.

Guest FrigidSoul

There are plenty of teams interested in him, he just won't wave his no-trade clause(he's a 10/5 guy) because he's happy in Seattle.

If I am the Cubs, I want to plunder more than just Nomar from the Red Sox, the Sox need Randy Johnson more than a possible rental of Garciaparra, and yet the Sox need the Cubs prospects to make the deal with AZ.

Of course as a Cards fan I really do not want them to upgrade that much.

If the reds do not do well this week Paul Wilson, Cory Lidle, Danny Graves, Todd Jones, Griffey and possibly Adam Dunn (arbitration) will be available for the right price. For Dunn the reds would want a #1 pitching prospect, for Wilson they would want a solid #2 pitching prospect, the rest would be salary dumps.

Just think if the bullpen didn't blow Paul Wilson's leads, he have 12 wins right now and he would be that much more attractive. (Ironic because I believe the Reds won all four of those games too.)

I think Dunn sticks around mainly for the fact that Griffey and Kearns cannot stay healthy. And I think eventually Dunn will hit better.

ugh, Mets call up Scott Erickson and he will start Friday v the Phils. Get ready for James Baldwin v 2.0 At least they demoted Ginter, who was growing on my nerves lately. I see the Phils putting up some real crooked number against Erickson. Thome and Abreu are probably drooling at the chance of facing "Tops out at 84 MPH" Mister Lisa Guerrero.

Guest FrigidSoul

Erickson is married to Lisa Guerrera? That lucky son of a bitch.

As far as Cinci goes, if they fall out of it the major players that will be available are Graves, Wilson, Lidle, and possibly Kearns because of his health issues. Dunn, Casey, and Griffey Jr aren't going anywhere.

Guest FrigidSoul
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer is reporting that first baseman John Olerud's days in Seattle are over. Olerud will be designated for assignment or released outright on Thursday, making room for minor-league first baseman Bucky Jacobsen to bring his powerful swing to the big leagues. Olerud has a no-trade clause in his contract and recently vetoed a deal that would have sent him to San Francisco in exchange for J.T. Snow. A 15-year veteran from nearby Puget Sound, Olerud has struggled this season, hitting just .245 with 22 RBI this season.

That explains Bucky not playing in the Triple-A all star game. Alkeiper Sickels can go more into depth on him since I just know he's a power hitting first baseman who I believe won the Triple-A Home Run Derby this year.

Erickson is married to Lisa Guerrera? That lucky son of a bitch.

Very true, but he is also lucky that he is now on an actual Major League roster. His last good year was 1991! Hopefully he does not last long.

Guest FrigidSoul

Just found this as well while looking around.

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Washington Post regarding Ponson, who's had an awful season but could likely benefit from a change of scenery: According to sources, Orioles owner Peter Angelos was investigating the feasibility of trying to void Ponson's contract based on the "loyalty" clause in the Major League Uniform Player's Contract that requires a player to 'keep himself in first-class physical condition, among other things.

I know Uncle Carl is a penny pincher, but Dunn & Pena are still the only viable options to play OF for an extended amount of time. And Wily Mo still has to learn how to hit right handers.

Reds would be stupid to drop Dunn, he's the only Red to play in every game this year, and in the future I am sure he can transition over to first base.

Guest Anglesault

There are plenty of teams interested in him, he just won't wave his no-trade clause(he's a 10/5 guy) because he's happy in Seattle.

I couldn't immagine no one being interested in him.

I also don't quite understand what the last place Mariners think getting rid of Olerud is going to accomplish.

Guest FrigidSoul

They're opening up a roster spot along with first base for their future first baseman. They're new GM didn't need long to fuck that org up and send it into rebuilding.

Just found this as well while looking around.

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Washington Post regarding Ponson, who's had an awful season but could likely benefit from a change of scenery: According to sources, Orioles owner Peter Angelos was investigating the feasibility of trying to void Ponson's contract based on the "loyalty" clause in the Major League Uniform Player's Contract that requires a player to 'keep himself in first-class physical condition, among other things.

Well that would be nice, but believe it or not I heard they were trying to shop him around to trade him again although I think he has a no trade clause. And any team willing to take him must be either extremely desperate or extremely stupid.

And this Os/D-Rays game is, while still a relatively close game, more boring than the All Star game and taking just as long to play as well. Im going to blame the time on among other things ESPN taking really long breaks (even though its blacked out on ESPN here because of CSN having it) and the crappy pitching from both teams.

Guest Anglesault

Detroit has one of the worst PA announcers ever. Just like that woman in Boston a couple of years ago, they feel they need to get all excited and scream the players names.

That explains Bucky not playing in the Triple-A all star game. Alkeiper Sickels can go more into depth on him since I just know he's a power hitting first baseman who I believe won the Triple-A Home Run Derby this year.

Jacobsen's 28, so he has no real upside. Right now is as good as he is going to be. He's tearing the cover off the ball in AAA, hitting 312/423/658. He's a good fill in for the Mariners, but he's probably not their first basemen for of the future.