TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Benoit DVD Discussion Thread

Guest FrigidSoul
Frigid... shut up.

*throws you through a plate glass window and into the Graphics and Testing forum*

Did anybody else notice after watching the main presentation in the legal disclaimer it says people can't use the signature moves of wrestlers because the WWE has copyrighted them? I'd love to see a random lawyer run up to somebody and hand them a summons to court after said person goes and gives a friend the Stone Cold Stunner or something like that.

It's an awesome DVD, I plan on watching the "indy/Japan/ECW" part and then going to the gym and then watching the WCW/WWE half...

And by the way, ONE THING...

For *ANYONE* that *EVER* argues that Mankind/Taker is a 5-star match, because the "bumps were amazing" and "sick" and "one of a kind"....

WATCH BENOIT/ANGLE CAGE MATCH FULL.

German Suplex....OFF THE TOP ROPE.

Top of the Cage Moonsault.

Top of the Cage Headbutt (with a highly fucked up neck...a move Benoit did NOT want to do).

And then tell me Foley/Taker is "5 stars"...

If anything, Angle/Benoit is 10 stars, on that scale.

Guest FrigidSoul
You can copyright WRESTLING MOVES?

I don't know if they legally can, but they sure as hell think they can. I'd have to believe the only thing they could copyright was the names of signature moves...but it says right there at the end that you can not perform them because they're legally copyrighted.

Guest tangerine

Let's not bring up that stupid arguement again all right. (I'm refering to the HIAC comment).

Myself personally, I'm watching the Feature first and then likely bump around with the randomizer.

Guest thatdude21601

Maybe my bootleg DVD of the '94 J-cup has bad audio, but I'm pretty sure they put in some canned heat anyway for the Benoit DVD(entrances/finishes).

Watching a J-cup match with the scratch logo in the corner is funny.

Tazz shooting on Sasuke, and then Cole shooting on the ring announcer made me giggle.

Guest wildpegasus

Top of the Cage Headbutt (with a highly fucked up neck...a move Benoit did NOT want to do).

Do you know why he did do it than? Is what he said on the DVD -- That he didn't want to do it?

Guest FrigidSoul

He explains why he did the Top of the cage headbutt on the DVD in the main feature on Disc 1.

Just got the DVD, first time I've seen Benoit/Regal from the Pillman show and it's tremendous. It's also the first time I've seen Benoit's ECW work, and it's weird to see a clean shaven Al Snow looking about 14 yrs. old and Benoit with long wavy hair. On the negative side, Todd Grisham KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT WRESTLING and should have never been chosen to do the commentary. He mispronounced Liger's name and made some terrible mistakes, like saying Japanese wrestling is just like Lucha Libre. Malenko seemed more comfortable than Benoit doing the commentary and had some great one liners. It's been great so far.

The Paul Orndorff footage was pretty damn sad....

Overall though, this is a bitchin' DVD. I love it. The Al Snow match was a pretty damn good beating, and I love the Japan stuff.

And I wish 2 Cold was still around in the states. He was the shit back in the day.

Guest wildpegasus
He explains why he did the Top of the cage headbutt on the DVD in the main feature on Disc 1.

Thanks, but I won't be getting the DVD for quite awhile. Would you please elaborate?

Guest FrigidSoul

Thanks, but I won't be getting the DVD for quite awhile. Would you please elaborate?

Ok, well then just for you.

He said that at the time he questioned whether or not he should do it because he had been experiencing alot of chronic pain in his neck. When he got up there though and felt the adrenaline and the fans reaction he shrugged it off and just fucking went for it. He then goes on to say something about how it didn't make his neck feel any better or something wise ass-ish.

Guest wildpegasus

Ok, well then just for you.

He said that at the time he questioned whether or not he should do it because he had been experiencing alot of chronic pain in his neck. When he got up there though and felt the adrenaline and the fans reaction he shrugged it off and just fucking went for it. He then goes on to say something about how it didn't make his neck feel any better or something wise ass-ish.

Thanks once again. I appreciate it.

Bischoff during Benoit/Guerrero on Nitro...

"Just a reminder..1-900-909-9900...call the Hotline, he has got some HOT...I mean DOUBLE-HOT info. for you!"

Meanwhile Benoit is trying to break Guerrero's arm. Oh god...DEATH-BOMB by Benoit on Eddie.

Yeah, Sullivan and Booker's themes are edited, too.

Odd, on the MAIN FEATURE, Bret's WCW theme is heard.

Yet during the EXTRA match Bret/Benoit, he has a new theme inserted.

Guest tangerine

The Music is a pesky meaningless thing and if it "irritates" you, then you have emotional problems to worry about.

Subject:    Shipping notification from Highspots

Date:    Mon, July 26, 2004 6:13 pm

To:    [email protected]

This is to notify you that your Highspots order has been shipped.  To

check the status of your order, or track a shipment, please login at

Highspots.com and select "My Account" at the top of the page.

Yay! Now for the 6 months it takes to ship things internationally :(

God bless America, my home, sweet, home.

Guest Dynamite Kido

First off I got this yesterday and watched most of it. I basically watched the feature(which I thought was very well done) and some matches. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the first match of Pegasus Kid(aka Benoit) vs. Jushin "Thunder" Lyger. I decided to watch it with the Malenko/Benoit/Grisham commentary and let me say that I honestly despise the way the WWE does stuff like this. First off, Grisham can't even say Jushin correctly as Dean corrects him. Now I know that he might have not been a wrestling fan before working for the WWE(which I hate when guys in that position aren't even aware of statistics and wrestling history.) but that doesn't excuse the fact that this happened.....and they couldn't even be bothered to edit it out. WTF? You mean to tell me you are an announcer for the WWE and you don't even know who Lyger is? FUCK YOU GRISHAM!!!!! Not to mention that he refered to the IWGP Jr. title as the IWGP title and had to be corrected.......and basically just sounded like a total jackass compared to Benoit/Malenko. Otherwise though......the DVD has been great so far.

You could just not watch it with that commentary in the future...

Anyway, Amazon's streak of getting me things, even in Canada, within 2 days comes to an end, as today is Day 3 with no DVD. That's acceptable and all since they usually estimate 10 days or more, but I was getting used to that 2 day service.

Guest BurnToShine
Anyone else irritated by the way they edited Benoit's current theme music into the match entrances?

Well, it's not the current one, it's the WWF Volume 5 one. And it's irritating. They did the same thing with the Mick Foley discs, inserting the WWF Cactus Jack theme into his WCW and ECW matches. I'd rather they just skip the entrances than dub over fake crowd noise or fake music.

The inexplicable one was Booker T's music. At the time, he used the SAME SONG HE USES NOW! The FUCK?

Guest krazykat72
You mean to tell me you are an announcer for the WWE and you don't even know who Lyger is?

Honestly, I'd be shocked if many people in the company aside those who have frequented Japan or if any of the McMahon family are really familiar with many Japanese wrestlers. I'd even say about 90% of the WWe fan base has no clue who Lyger is.

Hell, Chris and Dean were pretty clueless about what's going on in Japan now (60-70 companies one of them stated) . Being in the WWE is a *really* demanding job. Granted he should have done some homework and been able to tell the difference between that and Lucha, but's lets not get crazy here.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest Dynamite Kido
You mean to tell me you are an announcer for the WWE and you don't even know who Lyger is?

Honestly, I'd be shocked if many people in the company aside those who have frequented Japan or if any of the McMahon family are really familiar with many Japanese wrestlers. I'd even say about 90% of the WWe fan base has no clue who Lyger is.

Hell, Chris and Dean were pretty clueless about what's going on in Japan now (60-70 companies one of them stated) . Being in the WWE is a *really* demanding job. Granted he should have done some homework and been able to tell the difference between that and Lucha, but's lets not get crazy here.

-Paul Jacobi-

I didn't start watching Puroresu until I was about 17 or 18 and I knew who Lyger was WAY before that. It's mainly because of his run in the early 90's in WCW that I remembered him from. Now, I figure most people in the WWE SHOULD or WOULD know who he is. Even if they don't......they should have done their homework before presenting something like this on a DVD. It's understandable......but not inexcusable.

Guest tangerine

The problem with that is, Tazz bothered to do his homework and so did Cole.

Although Tazz likely knew the stuff before hand but at least cole didn't come off sounding like a jackass like Grisham did.

So saying because WWE is such a demanding job, he shouldn't chatised for not knowing anything when the other commetary proves that a little homework is possible.

All Grisham had to do was GOOGLE liger and would have had enough enough info and took him 20-30 minutes. Perhaps watch the match before they taped the commentary.

It doesnt matter to me because I didn't bother to listen to that commentary, I listened to Tazz/Cole whom came off smooth and knew most of their shit.

Another interesting thing is that Benoit was a star football player at his school. I'm suprised that Jim Ross doesn't spout that out every chance he gets on Raw. They love to talk about guys that played football

Guest FrigidSoul

I watched the Sid/Benoit match from Souled Out for the first time last night...and to be honest I liked it. Only problems I saw with it was the crowd didn't appear to know where they were, and when they figured it out they were cheering on the world's second most famous European pro-softball player. Another problem being that Sid didn't seem to really sell the Figure Four while he was in it. Otherwise it entertained me and I thought they made Benoit look really smart where-as Sid passed him off because he had such a size advantage to him that he thought he could just power his whole way through.

Whats more annoying than the music is the fact that they edited out Jesse on commentary again for Benoit/Scorpio creating that weird scene with long pauses without any commmentary. If WWE really cared about the quality of these releases they would just pay off Jesse.

Also, why can't WWE use any music from WCW. When they bought WCW I thought they also bought the rights to the music WCW created. They used the 4 horseman theme during the introduction but then dubbed Benoits music in the matches. Also, on the Foley dvd they edited out Mr. Bang Bang. Michael Hayes wrote that song, surely he would allow them to use it.

I'm pretty much done all of it and this is, without question, the best DVD set the company has put out (IMO, of course).

I'm not saying this as a Chris Benoit fan but more as a pro wrestling. This is the first DVD the company has put out that has shown the most range in terms of promotions, eras and matches. From the Stampede footy to backstage at WrestleMania XX, it covers it all and paints a portrait of a very driven and passionate artist.

I didn't expect to get as emotionally involved as I did with the feature and I found myself fighting back tears when I saw Benoits eyes well up talking about how he owes everything to Stu. I couldn't fight them a second time when Benoit looked at the camera with tears in his eyes and said "I miss him. I miss Owen". Ditto for when Malenko talks about what Benoit said to him after he came through the curtain at MSG.

The matches, as expected, rock ass. Sure, I could've done without the music editing and Todd Grisham comes off looking like an absolute putz, but that's minor. Except for possibly the Flair DVD, the WWE has never put out a feature that shows how much passion and love a wrestler has for the business.

Along with what Curry said, another emotional moment is when Nancy, his parents, and children come to the ring to celebrate after WM 20. Benoit and Eddy both said they were legit tears in the ring that night. The line that sums up the journey that Benoit took comes in the Wild Pegasus v Black Tiger match from 94 when Malenko says "who could have imagined 10 years later and these guys would both be world champions"

Just to be picky...Dynamite Kido...

you said that Grisham sounds like a dumbass because he called it the IWGP Title, unlike Benoit/Malenko.

Benoit refers to it as the IWGP Title during the main feature.