TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

my TV's broke

Alright - I dropped my 3-year old 19" TV the other day while I was moving it to clean.

It fell straight to the ground (about 3 feet) with the screen hitting first.

The glass didn't break, but when I plug it in and push the power button, I just hear a clicking sound and it doesn't turn on.

Money-wise, would it be better to get a new TV or get it repaired?

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

If it costs more than half of a new tv to repair, then get a new tv.

It's probably better to get a new one anyway, especially after dropping it.

Guest suplexmasta

Sounds like the powerswitch came loose. If you know how to solder, this shouldn't be a problem, just pop the case and see if the wires are hooked up to the switch. If not, you're screwed.

Semi-Off-Topic: I once had my TV fall off my dresser (about three feet) while I was cleaning underneath. Hit me square in the head. I screamed. Then I recovered, picked up the TV and it still worked perfectly. Best TV ever.

Be careful that the screen isn't busted too, you may not have broken the glass (and that shit is hard to break) but the inside of the screen may be busted all to hell.

Look at the screen and see if there's anything strange. If there's a black circle or star pattern in the middle then the tube's likely fucked and it's over. If that looks okay then pop the back cover off and see if anything is disconnected. Other than that there's tons of possibilities so take it somewhere where they'll check it out cheap. Ask them if they'll give you that back if you buy a new one from them.