TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

3PW August 21st

What up everyone and welcome to another McReview. Today, I will be going through 3PW's latest offering, which took place on 8/21. This show was heavily hyped up because of one match, the four corners heavyweight title defense. Here is how it went down:

Pro Pain Pro Wrestling (3PW)

8/21

From the ECW Arena in Philly, PA

Referees: Ref Molineaux and Ref Finnegan

Ring Announcer: Bob Artese

Official Attendance from 3PW: 533, even though the live crowd seemed less than that during some parts of the show.

One thing that should be made known, before reading this review, was that Christopher Daniels was stuck in Atlanta at the Hartsfield International Airport during the late afternoon. The show was forced to be changed by the 3PW booking team, making the show go longer than it was originally scheduled to be. It was imperative for Chris Daniels to be there, as he was part of the main event and cruical to the finish of the match. 3PW extended the length of the tag team royal rumble match as a result, which worked out, as it did buy 3PW time for Christopher Daniels' arrival.

The show kicked off with Commissioner Tod Gordon coming to the ring. His sex slave, Talia was missing. Gordon told us that Talia was not going to be here tonight. In reality, Talia was booked for WXW down in Florida. Gordon said that Talia wasn't there because the Pitbulls 2004 took care of her at the last 3PW show. A big "Tod sucks dick!" chant broke out. Tod then moved on and addressed the Ruckus issue. He said that Ruckus won the number 1 contendership at the last show, and was scheduled to wrestle Joey Matthews tonight. Due to Low Ki and Jerry Lynn, not being able to wrestle Chris Daniels and AJ Styles, due to Ki being in Japan and Lynn being injured, Chris Sabin, and 3PW Champion, Joey Matthews were put into the match. Therefore, Ruckus will not be getting his title shot tonight. Tod Gordon then hyped up the upcoming tag team royal rumble style title match, as well as the 4 way Heavyweight title match. Soon after mentioning Joey Matthews name again, 3PW Heavyweight Champion, Joey Matthews came out.

Joey Matthews (using "Gimmie Back My Bullets" just like the Briscoe Brothers as ring music) came to the ring. Joey runs down the people he's beaten in 3PW. Matthews mentions Daniels flight troubles. Matthews threatens to kick Tod's ass, but all of a sudden Harry Slash's "THIS IS EXTREME" ECW theme music plays. Out comes Paul "Striker" Heyman. The crowd pops huge for Striker. Striker is wearing a suit, with an ECW shirt underneath. He's also sporting various press tags around his neck, I mean Striker had more press passes around his neck than Bob Magee! Striker was also wearing a skinhead wig, with a pony tail, complete with a hat on top. A big ECW chant started up. Striker gets the mic and tells Gordon that he is "GUILTY... AS CHARGED!" The crowd continued to pop. Tod tells Striker that he should be focusing on the tag team title match. Tod says there are problems between Striker and Eckos. He lets Striker and the fans know that Striker and Eckos aren't on the same page. Tod leaves after telling off Striker.

Good promo here to set up the rest of the show. The Striker stuff was funny, and it set up his pairing with Rob Eckos for later on.

Ruckus d. Slyck Wagner Brown w/April Hunter

Ruckus was sporting his CZW Blackout shirt. Slyck Wagner Brown has changed the spelling of his name from Slyk to Slyck for everyone out there. Slyck was also sporting new tights baring the name change. This match was 13+ minutes of solid wrestling. The match started off with a few arm drags, before both men worked their ways into a standoff. The match went to the outside, as Ruckus was chucked into a guardrail. Later on in the ring, Slyck put Ruckus in a few submissions. During the middle of the match, April Hunter interfered, as she dropped a leg on Ruckus's neck. Ruckus was able to come back, as he hit his flipping kicks. Ruckus hit more of his fancy foot work on Slyck. Ruckus went for offense, but after a flip, Slyck cut him off with a clothesline. Slyck then hit some victim kicks. Slyck then hit a moonsault which resulted in a 2 count. Ruckus then went on the offensive with a dropkick, followed by a spinning neckbreaker. Slyck wouldn't go down, and came back with a Slyckslam (I'm guessing Slyck is now changing the spelling for all of his custom named moves as well) for 2. Slyck then went for a Brock Lock, which Ruckus broke up by grabbing the ropes. After more back and forth action, Slyck went for another Slyckslam. This time Ruckus rolled through and hooked Slyck for the three count.

Really good match to start the show off. I don't get why some indy fans don't like Slyck's work, and when I asked a few fans, they didn't really have any definitive answer. Match came off very well. My only gripe with it was you couldn't tell if Slyck was trying to be face or heel, as the crowd sometimes popped, but then sometimes booed for him througout the match.

Tag Team Royal Rumble Match

To Crown the First ever 3PW Tag Team Champions

A new team would enter every 5 minutes

Slyck Wagner Brown/April Hunter d. Pitbulls 2004 (Mike Kruel/Gary Wolfe) w/Jasmin St Claire

Order of Entry:

Striker/Eckos (As The Bushwhackers)

Double Trouble (Rebel/Jack Victory)

Meanie/Roadkill

Pitbulls 2004 w/Jasmin St. Claire

Striker/Eckos (As Nikolai Volkoff/Iron Shiek)

Slyck Wagner Brown/April Hunter

Striker/Eckos (As The Roadwarriors)

Order of Elimination:

Striker/Eckos (As The Bushwhackers)

Double Trouble (Rebel/Jack Victory)

Striker/Eckos (As Nikolai Volkoff/Iron Shiek)

Meanie/Roadkill

Striker/Eckos (As The Roadwarriors)

This then set up The Pitbulls 2004 w/JSC vs Slyck Wagner Brown/April Hunter, which saw Slyck/April win after April hit a bodypress on Kruel from the top rope for the three count.

There was one story this whole match and that was the work of Matt Striker, and his sidekick Rob Eckos. Similiar to Mick Foley's three appearances in a Royal Rumble match, Striker/Eckos came out three times in different garb. First Striker/Eckos came out as The Bushwhackers which had the crowd going nuts. Both guys were licking each others heads, and hitting battery rams. After being eliminated, Striker/Eckos came back as Nikolai Strikeroff and The Iron Shiek. (Eckos) Striker sang the national anthem the whole entire time and was placed over the top rope during his singing. As Nikolai/Shiek made their way to the back, Striker was still singing and capped off his song with "I hope you enjoy the match." It should also be noted that Eckos had fake curled boots, as well as a handlebar mustache that wouldn't stay on. Later on in the match, Striker/Eckos came out as The Roadwarriors. The second the first guitar note of "Iron Man" played, the crowd was on their feet and cheering like crazy. Both were sporting versions of spiked shoulderpads and donned face paint. LOD chants were heard very loudly as well.

During the parts Striker/Eckos weren't in the match, the crowd started "WE WANT STRIKER!" chants. The crowd even booed loudly when Striker/Eckos were eliminated. It goes to show you that all you need is charisma to get over with a crowd. It does help that Striker is one of the better wrestlers today as well, but Striker is so over in 3PW that he doesn't even need a title belt, although I do think the 3PW crowd would like to see him in a main title program. Either way, Strikers work was very appreciated by the 3PW crowd and he is arguably the biggest face in the promotion.

As far as the rest of the match, the match wound up lasting 40+ minutes. The crowd was very anti-Pitbulls, as many Shitbulls chants started. The crowd seemed dissappointed that the Pitbulls were in the finals, but then again, it's because they wanted Striker/Eckos in at the end.

The finals between Slyck/April against Kruel/Wolfe picked up towards the end. Tod Gordon, who is mad at Jasmin St Claire for having the Pitbulls attack his sex slave Talia at the last show, came out. He clotheslined Jasmin down, and Jasmin was out for the rest of the match. Slyck then hit the Slyck Slam on Kruel in the ring. Slyck then battled in the aisle with Gary Wolfe. A dazed Kruel made his way back to his feet, only to eat a body press from April for the 1-2-3.

Overall- the match was extended to Daniels flight problems, but people will remember Striker/Eckos's work, not the length of the match.

Intermission was up next. After a few more beers and a quick update call to Mike Zevon, 3PW returned.

CJ O'Doyle vs Monsta Mack went to a no contest.

This match went several minutes. Both guys wrestled back and forth. All of a sudden the newly crowned 3PW tag team champions, Slyck and April came out. They circled the ring. Slyck asked Monsta Mack what was taking so long, as he thought Mack should've been able to beat O'Doyle pretty quickly. Slyck said he could beat O'Doyle in 4 minutes. April laughed, and said she could beat O'Doyle in 2 minutes. This set up...

April Hunter d. CJ O'Doyle in 30 or so seconds

April was able to pick up the win after a testicluar claw.

I thought this was a bad move by 3PW, as CJ O'Doyle is over with the 3PW crowd, and to have him go down so fast didn't make any sense at all. After wrestling for 20 minutes before hand, April was easily able to beat one of 3PW's fastest rising wrestlers. 3PW either made April look really strong, or CJ really weak.

Monsta Mack, who was still in the vicinity said he wanted a match. He called out Roadkill. This turned into...

Roadkill d. Monsta Mack

This wasn't either mens best work. This match featured many garbage can shots. Towards the end Mack was crotched on the top rope. Roadkill then went to DVD Mack through a table, but missed the table. Roadkill then picked Mack up and hit another DVD, this time through the table for the win.

This match just came out of nowhere. The crowd booed the match during various parts, which was unfortunate for both guys, as this was just an off night for both guys, after looking good for so long in 3PW.

Main Event

For the 3PW Heavyweight Championship

Christopher Daniels d. © Joey Matthews, AJ Styles and Chris Sabin in a 40+ plus Elimination Match

Order of Elimination:

Matthews d. Chris Sabin

Matthews d. AJ Styles

Daniels d. Matthews

This was a great match. All four guys looked really good in this match. One big spot in this match is when AJ and Sabin hit double top rope dives on Matthews and Daniels. The crowd was really into this match, and many fans and other journalists are calling it the best match in 3PW history. I haven't seen every 3PW match, but this is certainly the best 3PW match I've ever seen. After Sabin and Styles were eliminated, Daniels and Matthews battled it out. After many false finishes, Daniels put Matthews away with the Last Rites for the pinfall. The crowd was very happy with the finish.

POSTMATCH: Daniels took many pictures and posed with his newly won championship.

Final McWord

This was one hell of a crowd, which made the show more enjoyable. Everything that was supposed to get over got over, as I don't even think 3PW thought Striker would've got as loud as a reaction he did. This was easily the best I've seen Rob Eckos do, as I never seen a crowd give him so much heat before. The gimmick really suits his abilities here.

This show was all built up around the Heavyweight Title match, and in my opinion it certainly delivered. Chris Daniels got to the building seemingly minutes before his match and was able to put on one hell of performance.

3PW was scheduled to return on September 18th, but due to problems with the building, the show is being cancelled. The building will be hosting a boxing event instead, and the building, not 3PW, cancelled 3PW's date. Even with the show now being cancelled, it does make decisions alot easier for hardcore indy fans, as JAPW has a stacked show that day.

3PW will return on October 16 at the ECW arena. There's a rumor that 3PW will have a major surprise at that show.

Also scheduled for October 16 are Chris Daniels and Slyck Wagner Brown/April Hunter first title defenses. Also booked are Striker/Eckos, Ruckus, and AJ Styles. Also Chris Sabin will be back as 3PW were very happy with his work.

3PW is looking into running shows in California and Internationally, and once anything official breaks, it will be posted here on the DOI.

I really enjoyed the first and last matches alot. The Striker stuff was really good too. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was April squashing CJ O'Doyle.

There were many luminaries at the show including Dave from JAPW, The RHP, Mongo from Super Luchas, Nick Knowledge, and others.

Overall- A good show with lots of ups and little downs. The Philly crowd seems really happy to have Daniels and AJ around, and they are easily the top 2 draws for 3PW.

It should be interesting to see who challenges Daniels for the championship. I'm guessing either Matthews or Ruckus. Striker and Eckos seem to be the natural opponents for Slyck/April.

That does it for this report. Keep checking the DOI for more updates.

Sean "The MiC" McCaffrey

[email protected]

Guest SoCalTF

Why are all of Jasmin St Claire's friends making it seem this show was great and giving many off the wall attendence figures?

Why are all of Jasmin St Claire's friends making it seem this show was great and giving many off the wall attendence figures?

The place was pretty packed. And calling me Jasmin's friend while being a member of this board is kind of silly.

Guest SoCalTF

The place was pretty packed. And calling me Jasmin's friend while being a member of this board is kind of silly.

I was talking about Bob Magoo and "TheMic".