TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Giambi diagnosed with benign tumor

Link

NEW YORK -- Yankees slugger Jason Giambi was diagnosed with a benign tumor and has been placed back on the 15-day disabled list.

Giambi was out of the starting lineup for the seventh straight game Friday night while the team kept waiting for test results to show why he's felt so weak for so long.

"The evaluation is not complete," general manager Brian Cashman said before New York played Baltimore on Thursday.

The Yankees hoped to get some answers earlier this week after Giambi went through extensive tests at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Diagnosed with an intestinal parasite on June 29, the former AL MVP is batting only .221 with 11 home runs and 36 RBIs. He's in an 0-for-21 slump.

"It's different levels of doctors in different fields," Cashman said at the time. "It's taken longer, but so be it."

"Until he finds out completely, he's curious, worried," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "He's not feeling the way he should. Sure, he's concerned."

Giambi was elected to start at first base for the AL in the All-Star game despite his struggles this season. He didn't start eight straight games around the time of his diagnosis, and has repeatedly said that he's been fatigued.

Benign is medical speak for not currently dangerous. In any case, I remember Dave Dravecky's bout with cancer, which was a scary situation itself. Hopefully Giambi can recover.

Guest Anglesault
Link

NEW YORK -- Yankees slugger Jason Giambi was diagnosed with a benign tumor and has been placed back on the 15-day disabled list.

Giambi was out of the starting lineup for the seventh straight game Friday night while the team kept waiting for test results to show why he's felt so weak for so long.

"The evaluation is not complete," general manager Brian Cashman said before New York played Baltimore on Thursday.

The Yankees hoped to get some answers earlier this week after Giambi went through extensive tests at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Diagnosed with an intestinal parasite on June 29, the former AL MVP is batting only .221 with 11 home runs and 36 RBIs. He's in an 0-for-21 slump.

"It's different levels of doctors in different fields," Cashman said at the time. "It's taken longer, but so be it."

"Until he finds out completely, he's curious, worried," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "He's not feeling the way he should. Sure, he's concerned."

Giambi was elected to start at first base for the AL in the All-Star game despite his struggles this season. He didn't start eight straight games around the time of his diagnosis, and has repeatedly said that he's been fatigued.

Benign is medical speak for not currently dangerous.

Is it not dangerous or not cancerous?

I always thought benign meant non-cancerous (but could pose some danger)

Ah ok. I'm no medical expert, so if anyone knows more about this stuff, feel free to correct me. Keep in mind, that does not include Giambi = steroids comments.

My dad works with this stuff for a living, benign= NOT CANCEROUS.

i.e. if a mole is benign, it's just a mole. If it's malignant, it's cancer.

Therefore Giambi's tumor is not cancerous, but might still be removed, if feasible to prevent it from forming any other complications.

Ah ok.  I'm no medical expert, so if anyone knows more about this stuff, feel free to correct me.  Keep in mind, that does not include Giambi = steroids comments.

My dad works with this stuff for a living, benign= NOT CANCEROUS.

i.e. if a mole is benign, it's just a mole. If it's malignant, it's cancer.

If a mole is malignant, it must post at TSM.

Not trying to steer this completely into medical territory, but what exactly is a tumor? Can a non-cancerous one spread and turn into a cancerous tumor?

I thought you all might find this very interesting, I emailed the ESPN story to my dad, and this is what he had to say (bolded parts mine for emphasis):

Well the combination of systemic symptoms (weakness, fatigue) with a BENIGN

tumor is intriguing because most benign tumors just affect the area where

they are localized. So it has to be a tumor producing something (hormones,

for instance) that have a systemic effect. The main candidates are a

pituitary tumor (actually most pituitary tumors are benign), and a thymus

tumor which can cause a debilitating weakness. Pituitary tumors are far more

common, so thats where I'll bet my money. (As an aside, many pituitary

tumors produce steroids, and I have to see whether taking steroids may

predispose one to a pituitary tumor).

Take that for what you will...

Not trying to steer this completely into medical territory, but what exactly is a tumor? Can a non-cancerous one spread and turn into a cancerous tumor?

A tumor simply is a "an abnormal mass of tissue". Basically something on, or in your body that's not usually there. They are either benign (non cancerous), and confined to a local area and not capable of spreading to other parts of the body (but could still be dangerous in other ways if found in a sensitive part of the body like the brain), or malignant (cancerous) which means the bad cancer cells are capable of spreading to other parts of the body by invading other tissue by a process called metastasis. That make sense?