TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jer

Tekken 5 at Evolution!

So, Namco debuted a playable Tekken 5 at Evolution this year, and people's first impressions seem really positive. WCM says that it's an early test version and that the final version won't be released here until Oct/Nov, but still, what they had there sounds pretty damn awesome. I'm really excited.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showt...?threadid=66129

Shauno's writeup is really good.

Looks promising.

Has there been any information given out in terms of the storyline for this one? I heard Heihatchi is finally killed off in Tekken 4, however where I got that I cannot remember.

UYI

I've been following all the news from the various location tests at Zaibatsu. I even became a supporter in preperation for T5. God, I can't wait. I want to get back in the groove of going back to the arcade every day. I really want to check out Feng Wei.

Has there been any information given out in terms of the storyline for this one? I heard Heihatchi is finally killed off in Tekken 4, however where I got that I cannot remember.

Yeah, the main story and 12 character bios are known, but most is just in Japanese(we've got translations though).

Heihachi won Tekken 4. He is killed shortly after by an army of Jacks. It seems like he is alive though. The story mentions a lone figure climbing out of the wreckage and some "mystery" person is running the Mishima Zaibatsu and hosts T5. It's surely him.

Guest JacK

Ahh damnit, that sucks. Why can't he just like . . . die and lose already. Or even retire. I'm sick of some old guy as the last bast, even worse when he's an old guy in a thong. It's sickening, really. I'd make Lee Chao Lan the final guy, but that's just me . . . Jack's are back I hope, that's cool, they have a cool name.

And do I see a guy named Raven as a character in that thread?Ok, found the pic, and he sure as hell doesn't look like Raven :( Do'h. But for some reason I see Bruce Irvin there. That seems odd and peculiar all at once.

Edited by JacK

Raven has more in common with Kunimitsu than Bruce, but according to Tekkenzaibats's sources Bruce is going to be one of the hidden characters.

Is Tekken 5 peing released to Arcades first, or is it going straight to the consoles? I dunno about other places, but there's no arcades lefta round here at all. Even the last few stragglers that managed to hold on these past few years despite having no new games at all have all since closed down.

It's coming to arcades first. Our last real arcade closed last year, so we're going to be doing a lot of driving, heh.

It's not going to be all that long between the arcade and the Japanese release, though, so if you have an import PS2 you'll probably be able to play it in spring 2005.

I read on British Teletext that Tekken 5 would be more an evolution of Tekken Tag's engine as opposed to the more realistic Tekken 4 system.

Can anyone confirm this?

And just for the sake of it, I preferred the Tekken 4 system.

Tekken 4's main problem is that Jin's cross fists time manuever, b,f+2,1,2 is unavoidable done properly.

Everyone that's played it says T5 is more like T3/TTT than T4. Uneven ground is out, the wall system is simplified and the controls are more oldschool(jumping and low blocking with D is back).

JFLS is not the only thing that makes Jin good. Actually it's probably somewhat overrated. Safe moves like 2,1 and the parry are just as big factors for making him so good.

Jin is too good, but he isn't alone. Lee, Nina and Fox are also too powerful. It's not just T4 either. None of the Tekken games have been balanced. In TTT Mishimas and Ogres dominate.

Nod, JFLS is never unavoidable on block and most people I've talked to say it's only his third best move, behind the parry and 2,1, in that order. 2,1 is +11 frames on hit and is only not an infinate to itself because of pushback, and the parry is almost totally safe, works on almost all mid/highs, gives free 2,4 and has a very long window so you don't even need to time it particularly well.

Jin is strong, but he's still fairly easy to get around unless you're playing people that can do JFLS every time and parry well. Scrub Jin is worse than scrub Lee. I don't think he ruins T4, although he does make tourney vids pretty boring. Yay, another Jin/Jin finals at Evo this year, can't wait for the vids~!

Jin is too good, but he isn't alone. Lee, Nina and Fox are also too powerful. It's not just T4 either. None of the Tekken games have been balanced. In TTT Mishimas and Ogres dominate.

Would you say they're the only ones (in TTT)? Because if so, geez, that's hardly a problem. They should dominate, especially the Ogres.

The "only" ones? That's like 5 characters.

And no, they're not the only ones more/less powerful. TTT(and every other Tekken) has a full set of tiers. Like Wang and Jun are the opposite of Ogres, they're awful and way underpowered.

Why should Ogre dominate? In a perfect world everyone would be totally balanced.

Character unbalance is a problem even if it's the bosses that are overpowered. That's okay as long as you're playing the computer, but as soon as you start playing people, you want everyone to be as close to the same as possible. Designing bosses to be overstrong kills games. See SvC.

Surely you can see the logic in bosses being overpowered though. For example, in 'reality', as seemingly idiotic as that is to apply to video games, someone such as Bison would far surpass the strength and power of someone such as Chun Li.

Myself and my friends have a rule when we play each other - fight with a character that is equal to your opponent. It's not rocket science.

UYI

This is an unofficial translation of the Tekken 5 storyline, from one of the members of Tekken Zaibatsu.

After The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4 has ended, the violent battle of father and son, Mishima Kazuya and Kazama Jin continued at the Mishima Zaibatsu's Honmaru.

The result was, Jin was captured by the Tekken Forces, and Heihachi wasted Kazuya at the battle.

"So you (Kazuya) only has such skill after all, coward. And you (Jin), time to die right here."

The deadly battle between Heihachi and Jin has start to continue once again...The angered Jin who had grew a pair of black wings, his power even surpassed Heihachi's, at that time, for once Heihachi realized that his death was imminent.

But not long after that, Jin regained his oldself, then flew left Honmaru, left "Thanks my mother..Kazama Jun" words.

Exhausted Heihachi, was resting, leaned on a big Kanji character for a while. After that only silence, as if the previous battle was a lie.

However the silence was broke when an aircraft noise can be heard from afar.

That noise eventually turn into an explosion noise. When Heihachi thought, he heard noises like something was launched, one by one the Jacks were breaking in, tearing through the ceiling.

Heihachi instantly thought that this is one of Kazuya's plan, however, when Kazuya regained his consciousness due to the earthquake and the boom noises, he also failed to understand what has happened.

"Who (the hell) are you people?!"

As Heihachi screamed, at the same time, the Jacks altogether charging toward them both.

Eventhough, they would never willing to cooperate each other, Heihachi and Kazuya start to fought the Jacks.

However, eventhough how many they had defeated, the enemy numbers seem never decreased, the Jacks reinforcement keep breaking in.

And so, even the great Heihachi started to lose his breath. Then when this happened, Kazuya suddenly betrayed Heihachi by throw him right into the enemies swarm.

"RRAHHH!! YOU BASTARD!! KAZUYA!!"

Kazuya glanced the screaming Heihachi for a while, then take the chance, to charged through the hole between the enemies, and eventually escaped from Honmaru.

Straight afterwards, the Honmaru was vanished along with the explosion.

A man who wear all black, watched the incident calmly.(RAVEN!)

The man then gently touch his ear,then confirming that he was online, then reported one sentence.

"Heihachi Mishima is dead."

Right after that, a Jack came out from nowhere, suddenly attack the man from behind, but with one slash, the man split the Jack into halves with a blade . At the same time, the man's figure was vanished.

Honmaru is vanished without any traces, and the surrounding is covered by ashes.

But no one witnessed, among the ashes, the rubbles were blown up, and a figure appeared.

The prophecy has been furfilled. Heihatchi Mishima lives!

A few days later, the death of Mishima Zaibatsu head, Mishima Heihachi, reaches the people's ears all over the world.

While this supposed to be the end of the Mishima Zaibatsu, however, a mysterious person took over the toppest position of Mishima Zaibatsu, then bring the Zaibatsu back to its peaceful condition as if nothing was happened.

And then, after one month, the Mishima Zaibatsu sponsored and announced the opening of The King of Iron Fist Tournament 5. The enigmatic covered King of Iron Fist Tournament now, once again has open its curtain....

------

Credit: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showt...?threadid=65651

Bring your salt shaker.

Surely you can see the logic in bosses being overpowered though. For example, in 'reality', as seemingly idiotic as that is to apply to video games, someone such as Bison would far surpass the strength and power of someone such as Chun Li.

Myself and my friends have a rule when we play each other - fight with a character that is equal to your opponent. It's not rocket science.

Well even storyline wise usually even the biggest of big bad bosses are beaten by regular characters. Like look at Ogre. Paul and Jin beat him.

Also, Tekken is different than most fighting games. It's not like Shao Kahn or Shin Akuma where the bosses are either unplayable or only playable with a button code. They are just normally playable(though usually time released). Picking Ogre isn't any different than picking Kuma. The only thing that makes him a "boss" is the storyline and the fact that you always fight him on stage 10.

Maybe it isn't a big deal between you and your friends, but when you play at the arcade you can't rely on others to be noble.