TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeSC

SLEDGEHAMMER!

Guest MikeSC

OK, to those who haven't picked this up --- PICK UP THIS DVD SET. This show was so far ahead of its time, it is just mind-boggling. A 1986-7 TV show that virtually nobody saw (it went up against Miami Vice, Dallas, and the Cosby Show during its brief 2 season run) that is still, easily, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The writing is perfect, the removal of the laugh track actually IMPROVED the show a ton, and the performances were exquisite. I sincerely hope they release the 2nd season (I never saw it) as this really is a great show.

I honestly cannot recommend this show highly enough. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen --- and a show that I'm STILL amazed that this was actually on a network, instead of HBO (which HATED it).

-=Mike

Wow, I used to watch this show all the time... heck, I even have both issues of the comic book. I didn't know it was out on DVD, but now that I do, I'll have to go and get it. I always thought it was a very smart sendup of "Dirty Harry" and similar cop movies/series.

Guest MikeSC
Wow, I used to watch this show all the time... heck, I even have both issues of the comic book. I didn't know it was out on DVD, but now that I do, I'll have to go and get it. I always thought it was a very smart sendup of "Dirty Harry" and similar cop movies/series.

It was so over-the-top in its comedy it was great. Only Sledgehammer attempted to prove that liberalism could be caused by eating too many doughnuts. :)

And ANY show where the lead does target practice in his apartment is GOLD.

-=Mike

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

One of the catchiest themes songs ever, too. I'll have to look into this.

Ooh, ooh! I saw it! Whole family used to watch it every thursday or whenever it was it came on.

Second season is really...odd...not spoiling if you haven't finished the first season set yet, you'll see what I mean.

That show had The Critic problems, high ups hating on it and such. Not to mention actual critics hated on it quite a bit too.

I bought the set this past week. It's not as good as I remember it, but I've only been able to check out one episode so far. Of the blurbs I've read in the booklet that came with the set was amazed to find that the concept was equal parts Dirty Harry and Get Smart. Although I can really see the Get Smart influence on it now. David Rasche is a great underrated actor and I do give him mucho props in the role.

Now the booklet also says that critics loved it, but that mainstream audiences didn't understand it and ABC mucked it by switching the time slot almost every week. Even though it did stay on Friday nights for most of its run.

Guest MikeSC
Trying to remember...

Didn't one of the episodes have a gun talking?

Nah. He spoke to his gun, but at least in season 1, his gun never replied.

But watching him make a suspect beat himself up never gets old.

-=Mike

Now the booklet also says that critics loved it, but that mainstream audiences didn't understand it and ABC mucked it by switching the time slot almost every week. Even though it did stay on Friday nights for most of its run.

You are right actually, it was just one critic (I believe wrote in TV guide) that was always harping on it. Check

http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/news.htm

for more info.