TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Ominous factoid about U.S. Wartime Elections

Ask Yahoo - How many U.S. Presidents were reelected during wartime?

All 4 Presidents that went up for re-election during Wartime went on to win the election. Lincoln in 1864 (Civil War), McKinley in 1900 (Spanish/American and Phillipine/American Wars), Franklin Roosevelt in 1944 (World War 2) and Nixon in 1972 (Vietnam).

HOWEVER...

During their 2nd term, Lincoln (1865) and McKinley (1901) were assasinated, FDR (1945) died and Nixon (1974) was forced to resign, all within 2 years of being re-elected.

I seriously didn't realize this until just now.

*cues ominous music*

Guest MikeSC
Ask Yahoo - How many U.S. Presidents were reelected during wartime?

All 4 Presidents that went up for re-election during Wartime went on to win the election. Lincoln in 1864 (Civil War), McKinley in 1900 (Spanish/American and Phillipine/American Wars), Franklin Roosevelt in 1944 (World War 2) and Nixon in 1972 (Vietnam).

HOWEVER...

During their 2nd term, Lincoln (1865) and McKinley (1901) were assasinated, FDR (1945) died and Nixon (1974) was forced to resign, all within 2 years of being re-elected.

I seriously didn't realize this until just now.

*cues ominous music*

True, but keep one thing in mind --- Lincoln BARELY won in 1864. It was exceptionally tight.

Also, add in Monroe to the list of wartime Presidents who won.

-=Mike

True, but keep one thing in mind --- Lincoln BARELY won in 1864. It was exceptionally tight.

-=Mike

Monroe was president from 1817-1825, and as far as I can tell, there was no major war during his Presidency that the US was actively involved in.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Monroe was president from 1817-1825, and as far as I can tell, there was no major war during his Presidency that the US was actively involved in.

Meant Madison. Damn my spotty knowledge of old US Presidents.

-=Mike

...I mean "Screw you!" :)

Lincoln won by 191 electoral votes and 10.06% percentage points. McClellan won 3 states. Lincoln won 22.

Just some notes there

-=Mike

Meant Madison. Damn my spotty knowledge of old US Presidents.

-=Mike

...I mean "Screw you!" :)

And, oddly enough, while Madison made it through 2 full terms, he had 2 Vice Presidents that both died in office (George Clinton and Eldrige Gerry). Eldrige Gerry, the 2nd VP, died within 2 years of the Re-election of Madison (re-elected in 1812, died in 1814).

So, I think we can say that sorta fits in with the other 4.

Guest MikeSC

Lincoln won by 191 electoral votes and 10.06% percentage points. McClellan won 3 states. Lincoln won 22.

Just some notes there

For the MONTHS leading up to that, Lincoln and his advisors were fairly sure that they would not win. He pulled ahead late, but the election was NOT a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination.

-=Mike