TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Redskins vs. Broncos Monday Night Football Chatter

Actually, the "McNabb choker" remarks, at least made by me and (I'm 99.9% sure) Slayer, aren't really directed at McNabb, but rather at ESPN.

Correct

I figured so, but I don't like putting words in other posters' keyboards.

Crap, how'd I miss this?

I never saw McNabb as a choker ever... ever...

I just had an overachieving Pop-Warner QB ask me if it was ok for him to lose three straight conference title games...

Guest Vitamin X
Actually Brunell is only expected to be the starter this year and possibly the beginning of next season. His contract is setup to where once the number start to escalate he will be cut or the contract will be reworked.

Ramsey has stated already that he wants to stay with the Skins, and is confident in Gibbs....

This is exactly why Ramsey won't ever live up to his potential. They're taking away valuable NFL experience when he needs it most, in favor of trying to win now with Brunell. Players need PLAYING TIME in order to get better. This is where the Bengals went wrong with Akili Smith, this is where the Chargers are going wrong with their quarterback situation (why a change at quarterback when there's so many other important positions they need to fix first?!), and it's not going to help Ramsey any to spend time on the bench after he's been out on the field and playing.

ermm, Chad Pennington sat on the bench 2 or 3 years, and look how he turned out? Pretty damn good. You don't think Joe freakin' Gibbs knows how to coach? He has a history of keeping at least 2 potential starters on the roster. If this was Spurrier doing it, I might question it, but Gibbs knows what the hell he is doingl.

Pennington, Vick, hell even Favre all sat out their first seasons. But once the job was theirs, it was theirs and they didn't change that. One of the first things Bill Parcells wanted to emphasize with the Cowboys was picking a starter and sticking with it, and when Quincy failed the drug test this summer, he had to move on, however he gave Quincy a vote of confidence he never had before and responded by playing his best season, albeit he still needed some work. And we all know how well Belichick giving Brady the vote of confidence worked out for them, and even Bledsoe was able to respond when Brady was out for the AFC Championship game during their first Super Bowl run. Yet Brady has never faltered, and having a coach who believes in you and isn't willing to pull the plug so quickly (hello Tim Couch!) definitely helps.

Confidence and self-assurance are two of the most important things a young quarterback needs to have, and that may be all part of the reason why Brunell and Warner have had such down seasons recently, because of the young guys looking over their shoulders (Bulger and Leftwich, respectively). Now that Brunell has the starting spot locked up for sure, that's great and gives the Skins a hell of a chance quite possibly in the short-term, but long-term when Ramsey comes back, he won't have quite nearly the amount of experience he should have and won't be as ready.

Oh please, azif the Cowboys QB situation is even comparable. Dallas had a squad full of backups. Parcells did the same exact thing. He didn't walk into camp and declare a starter. He had an open competition. Washington has a proven veteren that can win games NOW, and a young stud that is learning a brand new offense and coming off a nightmare of a season that could have perhaps caused him to get a little shell shocked.

And who says that benching him will help any? It worked WONDERS for Akili Smith, I'm sure.. And by that same reasoning, wouldn't Brunell also be quite shell-shocked after the nightmare season HE had? Skins fans forget he was benched in favor of Leftwich. Older QB's need confidence too.

And I believe Pennington was on the bench sitting for 2 years.  Spurrier got Ramsey into something dangerous, and then walked away from the team. leaving Ramsey in limbo. Blame Spurrier, not Gibbs.  Gibbs is doing what a new(well not technically) coach does when he takes over a team, makes the players fight and prove themselves and earn a starting spot.  Ramsey showed FLASHES of greatness last year, but that is no reason to throw him back into the fire under a brand new offense.

I blame Spurrier for being an asshole and walking away from the team instead of trying to develop Ramsey. HOWEVER- The correct action in developing Ramsey isn't necessarily to treat him like he's a rookie all over again and make him wait a year on the bench learning the system before going out there and playing. Gametime experience is what is going to make a quarterback greater, not sitting on the bench. McNabb didn't become a great QB until he had a few games under his belt, same with Vick (the jury is still out on whether Vick is really a "great" QB or not, in my opinion), and just about any QB out there has needed time to mature while playing before they can be great. Ramsey has some playing time now, but he's going to be rusty as hell when he gets back onto that field as a starter, mark my words.