TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

We've got some good series coming up this weekend. The Twins visit the Cleveland Indians. If the Indians sweep, the impossible occurs and the Indians will share first place in the Central. The Giants visit Philadelphia for an important Wild Card battle (fire Bowa), and first place clubs meet as the Cardinals visit the Atlanta Braves.

I will be at the A's/Royals game Friday night. Mulder will pitch and in his last three starts he's failed to strikeout more batters than he's walked (10 strikeouts, 12 walks). I figure the Royals will help snap that streak for him.

The Jays are actually 2 games over .500 at home now after starting off 0-8 at SkyDome. What's really killing them is their horrible 19-40 road record.

I hope someone else wins the WC. The Cubs honestly don't deserve to get it the way they've played lately. It's one thing to lose a close one-run game against some of the best pitching in baseball. It's another to completely embarrass yourselves with rudimentary errors and poor pitching. Awful, disgusting play from the Cubs this last week. Sorry to sound so negative, but you can't excuse them playing this shoddy of ball; especially when this was supposed to be the team in the NL this season.

Guest GreatOne
The Jays are actually 2 games over .500 at home now after starting off 0-8 at SkyDome. What's really killing them is their horrible 19-40 road record.

That's got nothing on the M's 14-42 mark :angry:

Jayson Stark put together a list of the players who have cleared waivers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1858619

PITCHERS WHO CAN BE TRADED

Darrell May

Brian Anderson

Buddy Groom

Justin Speier

Elmer Dessens

Jason Grimsley

Al Levine

Steve Sparks

Gabe White

OUTFIELD BATS WHO CAN BE TRADED

B.J. Surhoff

Richard Hidalgo

Raul Ibanez

Jose Cruz Jr.

Robert Fick

Ben Grieve

Dmitri Young

John Vander Wal

(Then there's a second category of players who made it through, but are less likely to go anywhere, since they're still assuming reasonably regular roles on assorted contenders. That list includes:)

Kenny Lofton

Carl Everett

Ruben Sierra

Terrence Long

Brian Jordan

Jay Payton

OTHER BATS WHO CAN BE TRADED

Bret Boone

Tino Martinez

Shea Hillenbrand

Mike Sweeney

Placido Polanco

Geoff Blum

Charles Johnson

Billy Beane on PTI!

Saw this. Beane was a lot more mellow than I thought he would be. Actually talked about playing with his dog on the field. The media paints him as this whiny, confrontational type, but he seemed just the opposite.

I hope someone else wins the WC. The Cubs honestly don't deserve to get it the way they've played lately. It's one thing to lose a close one-run game against some of the best pitching in baseball. It's another to completely embarrass yourselves with rudimentary errors and poor pitching. Awful, disgusting play from the Cubs this last week. Sorry to sound so negative, but you can't excuse them playing this shoddy of ball; especially when this was supposed to be the team in the NL this season.

In other words, you're just giving up. I should have expected something like this given the way you had planned to take a break from watching the Cubs earlier this year when they lost like 3 in a row, and right after you said this, we came out and killed the Cards.

Just noticed that the Rockies are now only 10 games under .500. No big deal but they were about 30 games under just a few months ago. Haven't seen the numbers, but I would imagine they have one of the better records in baseball since the ALL Star Break. With that ballpark, the Rockies are never really that bad or really that good. They always seem to win between 77-84 every year.

I hope someone else wins the WC.  The Cubs honestly don't deserve to get it the way they've played lately.  It's one thing to lose a close one-run game against some of the best pitching in baseball.  It's another to completely embarrass yourselves with rudimentary errors and poor pitching.  Awful, disgusting play from the Cubs this last week.  Sorry to sound so negative, but you can't excuse them playing this shoddy of ball; especially when this was supposed to be the team in the NL this season.

In other words, you're just giving up. I should have expected something like this given the way you had planned to take a break from watching the Cubs earlier this year when they lost like 3 in a row, and right after you said this, we came out and killed the Cards.

And then proceeded to lose the rest of the games with the Cards and eventually fall so out of contention that we were looking at the WC before August was even here.

I've been of this team since 1994 (what a great year to start), so it's not like I haven't stuck by them through worse times. It's just that at this point, I can't let my fan bias towards them blind me. They're just not that great of a team. They were on paper, but then again, so were the Phillies. I'd love to see the Cubs win a World Series, but by them doing it this year (don't laugh), it'd just give them reason to overlook some of the most glaring issues they've got. Sammy Sosa and Moises Alou are still going to continue being liabilities not just at the plate but in the field. Kyle Farnsworth will continue to never reach that potential he had all those years ago. The team will continue to make mental errors, since all of this bad press about it in recent weeks have not made them fix them.

I just don't think this team is any real threat as long as Alou, Sosa, Grudzielanek and Farnsworth are a part of it. These guys are all past their prime or in Farns' case, a never was. Continue to build the team around great pitching, but 86 the liabilities like Sosa and Alou, clear some financial space in the process, and put that coin towards investing in younger, more promising guys.

Billy Beane on PTI!

Was this the Stephen A. Smith / Skip Bayless rev of PTI or the actual good PTI? After seeing my television bleed, I haven't felt brave enough to try out PTI again.

Guest Staravenger

Yankees wiping the floor with the Mariners ass 10-2 going into the top of the 6th.

I left an A's game early tonight for the first time in three years and for the first time because of the game itself in about six years. I left in disgust in the 8th inning after Joe Randa took Mulder deep as I just couldn't believe before that inning that Macha was leaving him in. Macha once again proved he has zero clue how to handle his pitching staff. Mulder appeared to me to be over throwing and possibly over compensating for an injury. As I posted early in the thread he has had a problem with his command of late. Tonight he was leaving a lot of pitches up in the zone. Even though he walked only two, one was a killer to Ken Harvey who swings at everything and he was ahead 1-2 and that was right in front of Nunez's grand slam.

Royals 10, A's 3. Don't get much uglier than that.

It truly was a horrible baseball night; for me at least. All the wrong teams won and not just that, they won by landslides. The Giants and Padres absolutely crushed their competition. The Padres have a shot at grasping first place for themselves today if the Dodgers polish off the Cubs and the Padres lay the smackdown on the Reds.

Giants are only 1 back in the wildcard, shaping up to be a 3 team race down the stretch. Out of the 3, I think the Cubs are the best team, but they haven't been playing like it lately. The kind of sad thing is the Cubs won't be playing these teams down the stretch, while the Padres and Giants will play multiple times in September.

I really dislike days at Wrigley when the wind's blowing in, since the Cubs can't wise up and learn to adjust their hitting. Instead of multiple home runs, we get LOTS of annoying flyouts. Kerry Wood actually just went deep and to no real surprise, the next two hitters were looking like they were trying to hit it out of the park. They should've at least taken notes from the Dodgers yesterday. They scored eight runs yesterday and all of them came in from singles. Ordinary basehits will do the job fine. No need to hit the two and three run homers. Too bad they can't figure that out.

Indians win again and are now just 1 game back of the Twins. This Indians team is eerily similar to the teams of the mid-90s in Cleveland. Wow, what a free fall for the Twins, a couple of weeks ago they were 8 games ahead and now they are playing for first tomorrow.

Come on al, just because the ace gave up his 35th homer of the year today doesn't mean anything.

*eagerly awaits seeing him sign a 9 mil/yr contract this offseason because he is a "winner"*

The schedule has Milton making 9 more starts on the year. Four of them are at home (where he allows 1.15 hr/gm) and 5 on the road:

Mil

Hou

Atl

NY

Fla

Can he average 1.67 HR allowed/start and hit the elusive 50 mark? Stay tuned and find out.