TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

Yet another FF question

OK, 8 team league, snake draft, and I pick lucky number 8. I think there's an outside chance of me getting Alexander or McAllister, but barring that, I'm probably looking at a QB/WR combo. Here's the question: Assuming that Culpepper, P Manning, Harrison and Randy Moss are all available, what QB/WR combo should I get?

Points structure is:

6 pts per TD

1 pt per 50 yds thrown

1 pt per 20 yds received

1 pt per 20 yds rushed

-2 pts per INT

If you are going to go QB/WR, I would go with Culpepper/Moss. But I think I would have to grab one RB at either 8 or 9, even if it is overpaying a bit. If you wait until 24 to grab your first RB, you'll be hurting.

If you are going to go QB/WR, I would go with Culpepper/Moss. But I think I would have to grab one RB at either 8 or 9, even if it is overpaying a bit. If you wait until 24 to grab your first RB, you'll be hurting.

I have thought of that. My normal strategy is "best player available", and to try to avoid the sheep mentality. We'll have to see what happens.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I wouldn't get Culpepper over Manning. Culpepper tend to throw INTs because Moss is his only option and is more injury prone than Manning.

He can pick up Travis Henry, McGehee, Antwain Smith, Fred Taylor, Wheatley at round 3 & 4.

In an 8 team league especially, I would not want McGahee, Smith, or Wheatley in my starting lineup. And you are not going to get Henry and Taylor at the 24th and 25th slots. You might get Taylor there, but certainly not both.

Then maybe it time to rethink your strategy? Maybe overload on the best WRs then use them as trade bait. Whats the worst RB line up you can expect......Marshall Faulk & Tiki Barber or Fred Taylor & McGahee?

Guest goatfish

Honestly, if I were in your position in an 8 team league, I'd consider grabbing Harrison and Moss. You'd probably have to go RB/RB with your next picks, but with your picks in the fifth/sixth round, there's still a lot of QB's that can put up good numbers avaliable like Brooks or Green or Pennington, whereas the WR's that are still avaliable don't have the same amount of value. If you want to play outside the system and maybe start a run on WR's, i'd seriously consider going with the stud WR's.

(wow, my first double post!)

That's pretty much the dilemma. There's nothing invalid about the "stud RB" strategy, but when you're in a position where that isn't likely to be in the cards for you, you need to adjust...

Guest Kageho

Wait and see who's taken in the first 4 picks.

If it is mostly RBs, do a QB/WR pick up and follow up with RB/WR for your next two.

If it is mostly QBs, do a RB/WR pick up and follow it up with QB/WR.

If it is mostly WRs, do a QB/RB pick up and follow it up with WR/WR or possibly WR/RB.

The reason I say this is because a lot of times with Yahoo drafts, whoever has the first few picks pretty much will determine what type of round it is. From my recent drafts I've been in, the draft usually will allow quite a few people to drop if these are the cases, and you'll be able to scoop up some prime players.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

assuming you cant get one of the good backs, I'd take Moss and Harrison. There's no point in spending a top 10 pick on a QB.

So of course the guy at the office organizing this throws a curveball at us - the league is now 10 teams, so I'm assuming that there may be a shuffling of draft positions. Lovely...

Guest Rrrsh

I'd take a RB no matter what in the 1st round.

If you NEED to take one of those four, take Manning for his lack of picks.

I probably wouldn't do it, but if QB/WR is what you want, then take Manning & Moss. In a league where passing TDs = running/receiving TDs, Culpepper takes a huge hit, and his terrible turnover ratio and injury-prone status makes him hard to count on. Manning is a consistant, safe pick, and he may make a run at Favre's consecutive game streak before he's done. He is far and away the #1 QB on my board.

WR is much closer. Harrison is safer, but Moss has more upside. However, what makes this the easy choice for you is avoiding taking two Colts. If Manning has a bad game, then you will get nothing from Harrison either. In my experience it is better to spread your top guys around different teams. If the Colt & Vikings have seperate bye weeks (I'm not sure), that is ever more reason to take Moss over Harrison. Definitely don't take Culpepper/Moss. The Vikings are one of the least consistant teams in the league, and the above would affect them even more than the Colts duo. If you must have Culpepper for some reason, take Harrison with him.

I also generally take an RB in the first round like the people here, unless I really don't like who's left and Moss or Harrison are still there. I never take a QB in the first round.

As I said, they added 2 teams, which now gives me #8 and #13 (two of my lucky numbers, oddly enough).

So far, some odd developments, as Manning and Culpepper were taken #1 and 4, respectively. So it looks like I'll land one of Lewis, Portis or Alexander, which isn't bad at all from where I sit (cubicle hell).

That is one unusual draft. So was #2 and 3 smart enough to get Holmes and LT?

Yeah. My buddy was #2, and he's not too familiar with fantasy football, so basically I told him that for his first pick he takes Holmes or Tomlinson, in that order.

I've already realized it's like watching the World Series of Poker, where Negraneau realized he was in deep shit for trying to bluff against people that don't understand what a bluff is. In other words, expect the unexpected...