7 Open Water $5,000,000/$23,502,000

8 Alien vs. Predator $4,800,000/$72,065,000

9 The Bourne Supremacy $4,605,000/$157,708,000

10 Suspect Zero $3,400,000/$3,400,000

11 Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 $3,300,000/$3,300,000

12 The Manchurian Candidate $2,830,000/$59,003,000

13 Garden State $2,750,000/$10,816,000

--------------------------

The idea of Anacondas is just crap to me. The first one was balls, and this one looks like a remake, except with more snakes.

Hero was only in 2031 theatres, which is 900 less than the snakes. Giving it an $8,765 per screen average.

Garden State was only on 745 screens. Giving it the second highest per screen average of the top movies, $3,691.

Superbabies bombed. But no one saw it doing otherwise. Suspect Zero did the same. Not a huge screen count (1500), and no major name power.

And Bourne is still kicking ass. 6 weeks in release and it's not dropping badly.

Guest Samurai Johnny Frankenstein

I doubt Bourne will hit 200mil, but thats still an amazing figure

Hero doing so good is great news, even though I've already seen the movie about a year ago. Hopefully more Asian movies will start to break into the worldwide market in the future, the general public is missing out on so many great films...

A good movie is Number One? The end of the world can't be far off...

..the freaky thing is, this is the only board I've been to where people have said it's a good movie... :huh:

At a lot of other boards it seems like everyone hates the movie..

I've yet to look at official reviews..or at yahoo movies or anything, so I don't know what the critics are saying, but yea, it's just odd at some boards 'most' say it isn't that great, but seeing the replies here, it's a 'Work, of, art'. :P

..the freaky thing is, this is the only board I've been to where people have said it's a good movie... :huh:

I've yet to look at official reviews..or at yahoo movies or anything, so I don't know what the critics are saying, but yea, it's just odd at some boards 'most' say it isn't that great, but seeing the replies here, it's a 'Work, of, art'. :P

I thought this movie looked like complete crap, but I was VERY surprised that the reviews are so high.

It has a 94% fresh rating at rottentomatoes.com. Check it out here.

How is it that a JET LI movie does so well?

How is it that a JET LI movie does so well?

Because it's a fucking good movie.

Yes, it's that simple.

Are you even familier with Jet Li aside from the films he has been in here in the USA?

I'll probably be checking out Hero soon enough...

However, it is just me, or is this the worst summer for movies in a long, long time? So often I'd check movie listings and see NOTHING worth watching, and half of it is god-awful garbage.

This summer we got Van Helsing, CINO, Garfield, AVP, BG2, Without a Paddle, The Village, Yu-gi-oh, Day After Tomorrow, Thunderbirds, Troy and White Chicks. There are probably plenty of others just as bad that I've forgotten about.

There was only a handful of movies that were even at least decent.

I'll probably be checking out Hero soon enough...

However, it is just me, or is this the worst summer for movies in a long, long time? So often I'd check movie listings and see NOTHING worth watching, and half of it is god-awful garbage.

This summer we got Van Helsing, CINO, Garfield, AVP, BG2, Without a Paddle, The Village, Yu-gi-oh, Day After Tomorrow, Thunderbirds, Troy and White Chicks. There are probably plenty of others just as bad that I've forgotten about.

There was only a handful of movies that were even at least decent.

But we also got-

Shrek 2, Harry Potter, Spiderman 2, Bourne Supremacy, Manchurian Candidate, I Robot, Open Water, Collateral and lots of other good movies.

Every summer has major clunkers and the ones you listed mostly bombed.

"Shrek 2, Harry Potter, Spiderman 2, Bourne Supremacy, Manchurian Candidate, I Robot, Open Water, Collateral and lots of other good movies."

The Shreks don't interest me, I don't care about Harry Potter, Manchurian Candidate was a decent remake of a much better movie, Open Water is "meh" to me, I, Robot sucked, but compared to how bad other movies sucked it didn't suck all that much.

That's still not a huge number for a #1 opening.

It sure as hell is when you take into account that it's a foreign language film. From boxofficemojo.

HOLLYWOOD (Box Office Mojo) – The penultimate gasp of summer 2004 showed some unexpected kick courtesy of a two-year-old, subtitled, period piece -- albeit one sold on dazzling visuals and action.

Wiring $18.0 million from 2,031 locations over the weekend, Hero eclipsed Bring It On's $17.4 million as the biggest end of August opening ever and posted a distant second best foreign language debut behind The Passion of the Christ's $83.8 million. It also nudged past Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's peak 2,027 theaters to become the widest Asian release of all time.

Guest El Satanico

Yeah, 17 mill is a huge opening for a non-religous subtitled foreign language film.

I didn't like all those movies either- but the general concensus was that the movies of the summer of 2004 were MUCH better then films in recent years.

The popcorn flicks actually got good reviews.

Guest CronoT

Here you go: http://www.epinions.com/pr-In_Theaters-Hero_2004

That's a good website. I'm a reviewer on it.

6th week in release:

The Bourne Supremacy: 9th place, down from 7th

This week: $4,646,125

Overall gross: $157,748,855

Screen count: 2079

Catwoman: 37th place, down from 24th

This week: $124,019

Overall gross: $39,389,097

Screen count: 166

I know it's not right to kick someone when they're down. But this figure just makes me happy.

Guest MikeSC
Tell me about it.

Hey, wait...why am I being pitied by Mole?!?!?!

Well, you DID go see Princess Diaries 2.

No poon is worth that.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Hey, Mike: Republicans are stupid.

At least we don't watch Princess Diaries 1 or 2. :P

-=Mike