TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest converge241

What are you listening to right now?

Death In Vegas w/ Iggy Pop-Aisha

Tricky-Ponderosa

Guest Teq

The Way We Walk On The Moon by Arthur Russell

Could well be the greatest song I've ever heard. Sadly he died of aids in 1992.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue

Got this on someone's recommendation. Decent voice, decent strummy guitar, warm and sunny, basically pleasant MOR stuff--I believe Inc called this Starbucks music--that I can see myself listening to on a nice long drive in the spring with the sunroof open, maybe winding through endless Levittowny swaths of suburbia, thinking to myself about what my life would have been like if I didn't spend so many years up in a tourist-trap dump, isolated from good high schools, good grocery stores, any record stores, middle-class friends, and just a hell of a lot of, now in retrospect, much-welcome normality, but I've yet to form any sort of emotional connection with it in the vacuum that is me at my laptop. I don't think I will. Maybe I'd rather just listen to a Cubs game on the aforementioned trip.

EDIT: Hey, this got kinda low-key and gloomy. Still vanilla, but an overcast vanilla. A tasty mixed metaphor.

Foetus-Blessed Evening

Guest Oedipus Rex

What do you think of the 8-Bit Kraftwerk or whatever it's called? Listened to a few on their myspace music page, and they're pretty cool, but novelties nonetheless.

Guest Oedipus Rex

I don't have any idea. My friend gave me a copy in April along with some Mountain Goats. I didn't know I'd been taking it for granted.

Current 93-Moonlight, You Will Say

Guest Oedipus Rex

I'm czeching out Seamonsters by the Wedding Present. I think one of you rabblerousers had it as a sig for while, because I immediately recognized the cover art. PLAGIARISM!, maybe? This should be interesting, because it's from that time period which I've always thought of as a lull between the Smiths and the Britpop bands.

Okay, guy has a unique voice.

Joy Division-Isolation

I'm czeching out Seamonsters by the Wedding Present. I think one of you rabblerousers had it as a sig for while, because I immediately recognized the cover art. PLAGIARISM!, maybe? This should be interesting, because it's from that time period which I've always thought of as a lull between the Smiths and the Britpop bands.

Okay, guy has a unique voice.

Yeah, that's me. It's my favourite album ever.

An aside: I don't think it's possible for girls to like Seamonsters. Sure, there are exceptions, but this is pretty much a "guy" album without any of the stereotypical trappings of what's considered masculine. That can be said for The Wedding Present as a whole, really. Smog is the only other indie band I know of where women I've played them for were at a loss as what to do with it. (Not that Smog and Wedding Present are much alike.)

An aside: I don't think it's possible for girls to like Seamonsters. Sure, there are exceptions, but this is pretty much a "guy" album without any of the stereotypical trappings of what's considered masculine. That can be said for The Wedding Present as a whole, really. Smog is the only other indie band I know of where women I've played them for were at a loss as what to do with it. (Not that Smog and Wedding Present are much alike.)

I've included scattered songs on mix discs for female friends. "Corduroy" went over all right, but I never heard a whole lot of praise for most of the tracks. Even though they're desperate love songs, Gedge's lyrics are pretty base at times, in that "Well, I'm still in love with you, and I'm fucking this other girl, but I promise it doesn't mean anything...maybe" kind of way. Such a naked show of both obsession and contempt; in my experience, most women don't handle those things too well, especially when they go together.

I think I'll listen to this on the metro tomorrow morning and have a nice cheery day at work.