TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

JBL on "Crossfire"

Guest JMA

John "Bradshaw" Layfield was on CNN's "Crossfire" just now. He was only there for a very short time, but his appearance did surprise me. He was asked whether the majority of wrestling fans were Republicans or Democrats and he said they were mostly Republicans because most wrestling fans are Southern. He also said most wrestlers were Republicans, then he changed his answer and said most of them were Independents, depending on who's in office at the time. He also mentioned that he supports Bush and made a few jokes.

Like I said, it was a very short segment close to the end of the show.

I would guess most wrestling fans in the US would be Republican because wrestling appeals to men, and men are more likely to vote Republican than women.

I'd like to see some Neilsen evidence that shows that wrestling is more popular in the south. That sounds like a stereotype to me.

Missed it, but for some reason, I'm not too upset. Maybe because Crossfire is probably the worst show on TV today :throwup: If you've ever seen the show, it's like this: Take the worlds most sterotypical liberal, then the worlds most sterotypical conservative, put them in a room, let them argue for 30 minutes, and taa-daa, you have Crossfire, a show you don't want to get caught up in (unlike the game Crossfire, but that's a totally different story :) .)

Guest JMA
The only democratic wrestler I can think of is Mick Foley.

Don't forget The Rock. According to Foley he's a Democrat as well.

Guest GreatOne

Yeah but according to Foley Hogan and Sullivan pulled WCW out of their creative hole as well....................

?

But The Rock spoke the 2000 Republican National Convention.

Not to mention he attended this year's convention also.

Rock, if I recall correctly, is a former democrat who changed to Republican sometime after Foley's book came out.

He speaks but he doesn't campaign like some celebs do. He lets his thoughts known at the convention and then he pretty much fades out of it.

Bradshaw does seem like a intelligent man at times although I am a little shocked to hear most wrestlers are Republican.

Guest JMA
Rock, if I recall correctly, is a former democrat who changed to Republican sometime after Foley's book came out.

I don't know about that. Foley recently said that Rock was a Democrat.

Guest JMA

?

But The Rock spoke the 2000 Republican National Convention.

Not to mention he attended this year's convention also.

I believe he also attended the DNC in 2000. I'd always heard Rock was a Republican as well, so Foley saying he was actually a Democrat was VERY surprising to me.

I don't know about that. Foley recently said that Rock was a Democrat.

I'm still not sure how much of a memory Foley has. Nice guy, but I would need more info than the hammered brain of Mick.

He might be a democrat, he might be Republican, heck he might even be an Indy. But I'm not exactly sure Foley has enough brain cells active for me to trust anything he says.

Guest Loss

Considering that wrestling is a dirty business that's about making money at all costs and playing on racist, sexist and homophobic stereotypes, it doesn't surprise me that most of the people who do it for a living are Republican.

I have a feeling Paul Heyman is a liberal.

Considering that wrestling is a dirty business that's about making money at all costs and playing on racist, sexist and homophobic stereotypes, it doesn't surprise me that most of the people who do it for a living are Republican.

I have a feeling Paul Heyman is a liberal.

The same Heyman that pushed the Gangstas, that had men beat up women all the time, that had Stevie Richards hinting he was gay to get heel heat

All the women in ECW were portrayed as goldiggers who went where the belt and money were (Francine, Missy, Electra) or sexpots (Beulah, Missy, Kimona) who deep down really just wanted to have sex with everyone (men and women). Dawn was portrayed as a typical hot looking clueless ditz.

The FBI didn't play on ethnic stereotypes? (even if it was lighhearted)

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but Heyman is just like all other promoters in this regard

Guest JMA

I do think that Heyman isn't a big Bush supporter. Of course, this is only based from a past "True and False" at WWE.com, so it's just speculation.

Guest GreatOne

The same 'dirty business about making money at all costs' that we all love, I guess we're in the same boat of filth.

Which, to paraphrase Foley, is it not unreal for people to be supposed fans of the business and then bury the same product they claim to love? Hell I don't know smarks do it on this board everyday, so it must not be.................

Guest Loss
The same 'dirty business about making money at all costs' that we all love, I guess we're in the same boat of filth.

Which, to paraphrase Foley, is it not unreal for people to be supposed fans of the business and then bury the same product they claim to love? Hell I don't know smarks do it on this board everyday, so it must not be.................

I love wrestling, probably more than almost anyone here, and have watched it longer than almost anyone here. I want them to clean up and fly right -- offer worker benefits, do mandatory drug testing, treat women with respect, push smaller guys and stop allowing internal politics to kill the product. I want wrestling to be around forever and be huge. I want it to be mainstream and I want it to be treated with respect. But wrestling is kind of a self-depreciating business in many ways, especially in WWE where even using the word wrestling isn't allowed.

So no, it's not unreal. I think the reason most of us are hard on them is because we want them to be the best they can be.

Guest GreatOne

Suit yourself, but I could care less if it's mainstream or not. One of the most successful metal acts ever became friggin lame pop posers AFAIC when they went mainstream, and I'm sure Vince McMahon is just dying to open himself up to the same kind of bullshit attacks from the PTCs of the world again if the biz returned to 98-99 levels.

If its' fate is to be that nice little action show that occasionally goes over the line that the mainstream ignore then so be it and I have no problem with it, hell it's not like it's affected The Rock's career prospects or anything, same for when ESPN--who hates WWE but suspiciously is never averse to having WWE stars on their programs occasionally.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

There's a difference in being a Repulican in 2000 when it seemed like the only difference between Bush and Gore was blue ties or red ties, and saying you're a Republican in 04.

In 2004 if you say you're a Republican its much different because there is a clear difference in the two parties. One group is run by zelots and the other are normal politicians with all the flaws that goes along with that. I wont say which is which.

Guest GreatOne

Actually both parties have the same zealots/normals within themselves, it just disappears closer to election time.