TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

Chrono Resurrection brought to a halt by Square

That is quite incredible looking. To think that's a fan made game blows my mind, since I don't think you could get a much better 3D representation without re-designs or making them cel-shaded.

I'd totally buy a remake of Chrono Trigger with a souped up battle system.

While an unpopular decision, SquareEnix is protecting one of their copyrights as a good company should. However, they definitely should consider bringing the Chrono Resurrection braintrust aboard for a project or two since they've at least shown a tremendous passion about their project.

I question whether or not that quality of 3D graphics would be able to be sustained for a PS2 RPG. I'm thinking not until we get into the next-gen series of game systems.

While an unpopular decision, SquareEnix is protecting one of their copyrights as a good company should. However, they definitely should consider bringing the Chrono Resurrection braintrust aboard for a project or two since they've at least shown a tremendous passion about their project.

Americans?! :lol:

Of course, they could put it on X-Box... :lol:

*slaps head*

Oh right...Forgot the whole "SquareEnix is a Japanese company" deal for a second.

Well, they at least have the foot in the door of the domestic game developers if the right people take notice.

*slaps head*

Oh right...Forgot the whole "SquareEnix is a Japanese company" deal for a second.

Well, they at least have the foot in the door of the domestic game developers if the right people take notice.

Yeah, and I would like to see a filthy gaijin company kick the asses of Square in the form of a Japanese-style console RPG, and on X-Box too.

Square USA actually did create Secret of Evermore--which was a great first effort. Yet, I don't think they actually released many/any projects after that. Meh. Too bad.

BTW, cool avatar Ced. What's it from? It looks familiar...I think I saw that girl on a DVD cover or something like that.

i think i was the only person to enjoy secret of evermore....

Nope. I liked it too, although I believed they could have done a much better job if they'd gotten the chance to improve. Does Square USA do anything besides translating and marketing the Japanese games?

Although, I think Square wouldn't want to risk Americans "ruining" their Chrono franchise. They like to ruin it by themselves.

Although, I think Square wouldn't want to risk Americans "ruining" their Chrono franchise.  They like to ruin it by themselves.

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew.

We all know that it's ruined to the point that beyond a miracle, it ain't being saved.

Hell, I don't even know how we could have a sequel to it.

Edited by Lightning Flik

I haven't had a console or paid attention to the console world in about 4 years, so could someone explain how Square went from "can do no wrong" god status to "can't do anything right" (as I'm guessing)?

It's called Square games just have been in decline since FF7.

That and other games have stepped up to be on par or better than Square.

All there is to it.

Edited by Lightning Flik

I haven't had a console or paid attention to the console world in about 4 years, so could someone explain how Square went from "can do no wrong" god status to "can't do anything right" (as I'm guessing)?

They did Kingdom Hearts right and seem to be heading that way with KH2. Most of their new **** is the same old **** but with a new coat of paint, though. The exceptions would be Final Fanservice X2, Final Fantasy Bone to Gamecubers, the Enix stuff, and I suppose Front Mission 4. I hear Front Mission 4 is actually good so I can't say what's up with that.

Plenty of people think they do a lot right, but I think I've mostly outgrown them. ;) If graphics are all you play a game for, well, they're probably on the top of the heap in that regard. If you gotta have more, though, you may be displeased. Square used to be the standard when they were basically the only game in town for US RPGs. However, since we now get a lot of the less mainstream stuff, they look mediocre in comparison.

So ironically, RPG gamers have a lot to thank Square for and a lot of things to hate them for. If not for them RPGs may not be as easily available in the US as they are now. However, so much of their work is mediocre, cliche, and annoying.

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew.

We all know that it's ruined to the point that beyond a miracle, it ain't being saved.

Hell, I don't even know how we could have a sequel to it.

Time travel provides tons of "alternate" timelines...there's lots you can do, especially if you ignore Chrono Cross.

Plus, if you don't have to strictly connect it with Trigger, you can base a new game around new or thematically similar characters.

You could have some 30 year old pretending to be a teenager who meets some old guy who turns a DeLorean into a time machine. :P

You doubt Square's ability to sequalize? Take a look at Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

...wait. That game provides the perfect example for why they shouldn't do a sequel. ;)

Aw man... I was looking forward to this so much... :(

Did anyone here download those sample songs they had? Their version of the Zeal Island theme is incredibly good.