TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyJaymzV1

DVD Steals & Deals

Guest TonyJaymzV1

This is inspired by the wal-mart dvd bin, but includes every store, website, etc. Basically, tell people a deal you got, and either A) Brag about it or B) Help others get the same deal, if they can.

I was at EBGames last night, going through their bin of randomness and saw Once Upon a Time In China trilogy, in a box set, for 10 bucks. Now, me with my recent love for all things Kung Fu(Thank you Hero and Shaolin Soccer) I wanted to pick this up so badly....but nI only had 15 bucks left on me, and me and the gf still had to eat food. ARGH! Also in the bin were:

Gamespot Previews(A 2 disc set of nothing but videogame previews...I don't know why but I'd kill to have that in my collection, it was only 5 bucks.)

A Sonny Chiba 4-Pack for 7 dollars

Beast Wars Vol. 1 for 10 dollars

Panic Room 3-Disc Special Edition for only 15 bucks.

Then, we walk over to borders, where they didn't have The Essential Punisher, which pissed me off...but anyways, they have a rack of cheap dvds and there were a ton of gems for collectors:

Charlie Chaplin Collection Vols. 2, 4, 5( 3-4 old chaplin classics on each disc, 5 bucks per dvd)

A&E The Movies:Frank Sinatra( Okay this looked awesome...It's a DVD with a featurette about Sinatra and his movies, and then includes 3 of his movies, including The Manchurian Canidate. 10 Bucks)

The Directors: Martin Scorseces(sp?)(A DVD put out by I think the Indie Channel, but basically it talks about the director, his works, etc. 5 Bucks)

Aliens:The Truth( A documentry about aliens for 3 bucks...just loked interesting)

And a TON of Bela Lugosi movies for like 5 bucks each, like The Ape, etc. the Ape is a good movie, I'd recommend it.

And then we walked over to Suncoast Video, and while I didn't buy it last night, a couple months ago I went in there and they had a Resovoir Dogs movie poster, for 6 bucks. It's awesome.

so yeah, share your deals.

Best Buy has the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre for $6.99. It's the one in the black case that came out either last year or early this year, looks to have good extras.

And I picked up Dog Soldiers at Circuit City for $6.99, very cool survival horror movie about a team of soldiers in the woods doing a training exercise...untill werewolves show up.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

Two Pack of Fliescher Superman cartoons for 5.99 at Best Buy. Very much worth buying.

CD-Wow.com is an awesome UK DVD/CD shop that Downhome told me about. Their prices are cheap even after exchange, and they don't charge shipping - even if you live overseas.

I recently found a site that had a 'hidden' URL for a 1.50 pound discount on any purchase...

Visit: www.cd-wow.com/burton and follow the instructions.

I ordered Undead a few months ago, and just placed an order for Shaun of the Dead the other day, for 10.50 pounds - which is only like 22 bucks Canadian! :)

Guest TonyJaymzV1

About the Superman Cartoons: A year or to ago, I was in a dollar store...well a five dollar and bnelow store called Five Below...anyways I saw a VHS for 3 bucks that had 75 Cartoons on it, including:

5 3 Stooges Cartoons

3 Old School Superman Cartoons

Shitload of Awesome old-school bugs bunny cartoons

Casper...Casper kicks ass

and even an old school Spiderman cartoon from the 60's.

I don't know where you'd be able to get it, but if you find it, pick it up, so cool.

I can't wait till I've built up my DVD fund again...I'm a lil short on cash so I've got to wait... I'm picking up Hero, Shaolin Soccer, Undead, Shaun Of The Dead, etc.

Heres a deal: At Wal-Mart, They now have Dollar DVDs at the front of the store, well, I was just there and saw

The Adventures of Robin Hood(The old, old live action movie)

The Most Dangerous Game/???(I forget what the 2nd movie is, but TMDG was one of my fav. short stories, so I'll probably pick it up)

Sherlock Holmes and The Speckled Band

Casper, The Friendly Ghost cartoon

CD-Wow.com is an awesome UK DVD/CD shop that Downhome told me about. Their prices are cheap even after exchange, and they don't charge shipping - even if you live overseas.

Yes, CD-Wow is an outstanding site. If you go to say, CD-Wow.net, don't take that as their lowest price on what you are looking for though. They have different sites, like www4.cd-wow.net and others where the prices are different. Here is an example.

At most of the CD-Wow sites the upcoming 3-disc Spaced set is about $30-$32. However, if you go to this CD-Wow site, you can buy it for only $26. That total goes up and down every once and away depending on the exchange rate. That specific site is in Austrailian dollars.

Just click here for a link that will lead you to a CD-Wow site to get $1 instantly off of everything. Just go to the link, click on the CD-Wow link on their site, then once there click on the US flag over on the left. All items will show $1 off.

I usually use www4.cd-wow.net unless I can get what I want cheaper using the above $1/off link.

Click right here to go to a site that can help you find great prices at CD-Wow. They also have links to various vouchers, coupons, etc... for the site.

As far as GameStop goes, it is a hell of a place to pick up DVDs if you play your cards right. The reason you see people getting the delex versions of films, like the 3-disc Panic Room and the 2-disc Master and Commander (my cousin picked that one up) for $14.95 or so is because in the GameStop computer, they do not have the delux versions of the films in their computer. So when they have one for sale, it defaults to the price of the lesser version.

I also picked up the ENTIRE Dilbert TV series box set there for about $11.

When GameStop has their "buy two get one free" sale, you can really come up with some damn good deals there.

Then we have Ingles in this area. Over the past two weeks or so I've picked up the following at $5 a pop, all in perfect conditon in their original cases with all inserts.

Buffalo Soldiers

The Cooler

Elephant

Equilibrium

Identity

Lost in Translation

Lucky

Northfork

Osama

Paper Moon

Pieces of April

Runaway Jury

Spartan

The Station Agent

Tears of the Sun

Touching the Void

Also, DeepDiscountDVD.com has a ton of great deals. I'll find a list of some of them and post it here if you guys want.

This is another good link, as it's a daily list of online DVD price changes, both prices that went up and down.

And I picked up Dog Soldiers at Circuit City for $6.99, very cool survival horror movie about a team of soldiers in the woods doing a training exercise...untill werewolves show up.

Damn, did that not get any notice at all in the US?

Personally I think it's better than 28 Days Later and since it was in a similar veign (low budget brit horror but rather good) I thought it might have got some form of following / attention.

Worth a view just for how it blends a really good survival horror with bits of comedy that you would imagine wouldn't work (e.g Matrix references and a gross-out comedy segment with a dog)

Guest Askewniverse

Toys R Us is having a buy two DVDs, get one free deal going on right now.

R2-D2: Beneath the Dome is only $2.49 at Suncoast.

Overstock.com had a bunch of $2 DVDs last night, but by the time I found out about them they were OOS. The big winner was the Naked Gun Collection for $2, but there were a few others. Mostly fullscreen too, which is why Im not too depressed over missing the deal.

Heres most of what was on sale for $2:

43226 K-Pax (DVD)

77482 Goldmember (DVD Full Screen)

74405 America`s Sweethearts (DVD)

74715 Catch Me If You Can (DVD)

74729 Inspector Gadget 2 (DVD)

81587 Holes (DVD)

81697 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (DVD)

85715 School of Rock DVD (FS)

85738 X2: X-Men United (DVD)

85788 Seabiscuit (DVD)

86371 Naked Guns Collection (DVD)

86376 The Italian Job (DVD)

86757 Paycheck (DVD)

As far as GameStop goes, it is a hell of a place to pick up DVDs if you play your cards right. The reason you see people getting the delex versions of films, like the 3-disc Panic Room and the 2-disc Master and Commander (my cousin picked that one up) for $14.95 or so is because in the GameStop computer, they do not have the delux versions of the films in their computer. So when they have one for sale, it defaults to the price of the lesser version.

I've picked up a few OOP WWE DVDs at Gamestop (Mick Foley: Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops at the Gamestop in Shirley, NY), and I found my best find, an almost pristine South Park Season 3 set for only $9.99 at one of the Gamestops in Smithhaven Mall.

Netflix and Blockbuster Online are the best deals, but you need a DVD-burner and a moral compass that doesn't always point due north. If you have those things, you can get DVDs for less than $2 each.

Guest Askewniverse

Borders coupon for 10% off a regularly priced DVD (expires 10/18/04). Also, if you buy something in-store this week, they'll give you a 25% off coupon for next week. The 25% coupon should come with your receipt.

Even though Borders usually sells DVDs for MSRP, it may be worth checking out. The one in my area had a few OOP DVDs in stock, including T2: Ultimate Edition.

I got a copy of "The Girl Next Door" for free when I wasn't supposed to on the night it came out. I went to Best Buy and during the late summer they were doing the deal if you sign up for Entertainment Weekly and NetFlix, you saved like $5 bucks on the DVD and got it for like $10 to $12 bucks. The special for that week was Girl Next Door, which I figured I could wait the month til it goes Pre-Viewed at most stores. I decided last second just to do the deal on it, as it would be about the same price and I was getting a bunch of other stuff with Gift Cards and Reward Zone certificates anyway. When I got to the drawer, the girl ringing me up wasn't paying much attention and I left thinking it seemed like I got out of there cheap. I looked at the reciept when I got home and she had reduced the price of "The Girl Next Door" to 0.00, which was good, seeing it was one I didn't know if I really wanted anyway.

As for deal wise:

I recently got a copy of the Blair Witch two pack that looks brand new that also has a collector's pendent and the CD-Rom games for $10 at Babbages.

I never saw this movie before, but Virgin had it in a 75% off bin, I got Flirting with Disaster for $1.75.

My favorite still was when my store was getting rid of traded in stuff and I got a bunch of good DVDs (and some mediocre ones, just for fun) for $3.99.

I also got the two-disc Gladiator in perfect condition for $6.99.

Guest MWSC

Back in August, I purchased The Simpsons Seasons 2, 3, and 4 for $50.00. The sets were used, which doesn't bother me. I got the sets at Gamespot, and Gamespot was having a buy 2 DVD/Game get 1 free DVD/game sale. So for $50, I got 3 season of the Simpsons and saved myself $70 from buying the sets brand new.

Back in August, I purchased The Simpsons Seasons 2, 3, and 4 for $50.00.  The sets were used, which doesn't bother me.  I got the sets at Gamespot, and Gamespot was having a buy 2 DVD/Game get 1 free DVD/game sale.  So for $50, I got 3 season of the Simpsons and saved myself $70 from buying the sets brand new.

That reminds me....

Back in July or August...FYE had the sale for the Simpsons Season 1-3 for $14.99-$5 mail in rebate...then a few weeks later they had I believe Season 4 for $26.99 minus a $10 mail in rebate...

So I got Season 1-4 for $47+tax.

cant go wrong with the walmart bargain bin, the other day they had the rehash dvd best of wrestlemania 1-9 , as well as one 2 dvd set that I picked up called classic superstars of wrestling which has a best of booker t early years (gwf ) and a classic superstars one which has a lot of old awa matches and others 5.50 for two 1 hour dvds not too shabby

my local suncoast had some cheap dvds from UPW and OVW as well

HUGE deal here-

At Wal-Mart, you can get Wrestling Gold volumes 1-5 for $15. This is a GREAT set because it's several hours of Memphis wrestling and Southwestern Championship Wrestling (Joe Blanchard's promotion) with commentary by Da Meltz and Jim Cornette.

There's also some really good matches in there, too, including the Rock And Roll Express vs. Randy Savage and Lanny Poffo.

Got the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the remake for a grand total of 10 dollars on Sunday at Rite-Aid.

I have NO idea why they had them or why they were cheap but they were not re-packaged and both worked perfectly. I am most pleased.

I didn't really like the remake but for 5 dollars...why the hell not?

Guest TonyJaymzV1

an AWESOME two weeks, Movie wise for me.

Wal-Mart DVD Bin, I got the following for five bucks each:

Last Call- Movie about F. Scott Fitzgerald. Awesome movie, great acting from Jeremy irons and an impressive Neve Cambell.

The Incredible Hulk 2-Pack: Has the two of the three made for TV movies that they did in the 80's after the series run. The Hulk Returns, which has Thor(They where trying to have a Thor series, and this was gonna be the jump start the series) and The Trial Of The Hulk, which had Daredevil and The Kingpin. Both are really good movies, hold up even now. Plus the DVD set has a booklet which is real indepth, the creators really loved and respected the characters.

Night of The Living Dead/ Carnival Of Evil- Carnival of Evil is just some cookie cutter horror movie from the 50's but still worth a look but NOTLD comes off looking clean and the transfer was done real well. No extras, but you get what you pay for.

HBK:Boyhood Dream- Basically recaps HBK's 96 year.

Best of WM:1 thru 9: Pretty good synnopsis of the first 9 WMs.

The Whole Wide World: Awesome movie about the creator of Conan the Barbarian and his relationship with his wife. Great movie.

Searching For Paradise: Interesting movie, to say the least. I don't want to give it away too much but this movie is worth a look no matter what. Its about a young girl who has an obsession with a famous actor. After the death of her father, which she ahd a great relationship with, she finds out his dark secret and decides to goto New York and look for said actor. Good movie, great style.

I picked up a bruce lee two pack, for 10 bucks, which had Big Boss and Chines Connection, plus some Bruce Li/Bruce Le etc. kung fu movies.

Clerks:X for 20 bucks. 'Nuff said.

Today I got Kingpin:Producer's Cut from Target for 8 bucks.

I got Cowboy Bebop Movie/Series off ebay for 30 bucks, and Big O series for 22 bucks.

the best news? I just got hired as an Shift Leader( think third tier management, under Asst. Manager and Store Manager) at a Blockbuster. The pay is great but the best thing is 5 free renatls a week, and I can rent stuff before they ebcome widely available. AWESOME!

Guest M. Harry Smilac

Took my sealed Sopranos season three to FYE for credit since I got it as a gift about two years ago and haven't opened it yet.Love the show but it gets re-run on hbo enough.

Anyways the price sticker which I removed before going to FYE was for $75.99 at kmart,well I got $100 store credit.

So I strolled over to their martial arts section and someone must have bought every Zatoichi dvd,kept the ones he liked and brought back all that he didn't.Which means they had a bunch of them "used" although they had only been watched once for $10-15.Grabbed Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo,Zatoichi at Large and Zatoichi the Outlaw for $10 a piece which they sell for $29.99 regularly.Liner notes are still intact and the discs are perfect.

Next was the wrestling section and I grabbed Eddie's dvd for $22 and noticed the handful of ecw dvds they have left were marked down from $29.99 to $9.99 of which I had most of except Guilty as Charged 2k1 so I snagged that.

Headed over to comedy and grabbed 3 O'Clock High and Repo Man for $10 a piece.

So basically I took in a dvd set i've never watched and probably wouldn't and walked out with more shit then I could get through in a day plus a $12 credit still left over.Not mention getting 33% more in store credit then the actual set cost originally.

Sunday was a good day.

Guest nugget
Took my sealed Sopranos season three to FYE for credit since I got it as a gift about two years ago and haven't opened it yet.Love the show but it gets re-run on hbo enough.

Anyways the price sticker which I removed before going to FYE was for $75.99 at kmart,well I got $100 store credit.

So I strolled over to their martial arts section and someone must have bought every Zatoichi dvd,kept the ones he liked and brought back all that he didn't.Which means they had a bunch of them "used" although they had only been watched once for $10-15.Grabbed Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo,Zatoichi at Large and Zatoichi the Outlaw for $10 a piece which they sell for $29.99 regularly.Liner notes are still intact and the discs are perfect.

Next was the wrestling section and I grabbed Eddie's dvd for $22 and noticed the handful of ecw dvds they have left were marked down from $29.99 to $9.99 of which I had most of except Guilty as Charged 2k1 so I snagged that.

Headed over to comedy and grabbed 3 O'Clock High and Repo Man for $10 a piece.

So basically I took in a dvd set i've never watched and probably wouldn't and walked out with more shit then I could get through in a day plus a $12 credit still left over.Not mention getting 33% more in store credit then the actual set cost originally.

Sunday was a good day.

so how is fye with trading in stuff like that? I recently ordered a couple fox season sets off amazon for $14.99 a piece, a few of which were blind buys, but if i can about $50.00 for a set, i may have to do that. Was this returning without a receipt, or was this trading in a used item, how did they treat your exchange?

p.s. - here is the link for the fox season 1 dvds http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/featu...2353222-3287904

Guest HTQ's Personal Bitch
Carnival of Evil is just some cookie cutter horror movie from the 50's

Get bent!

Guest TonyJaymzV1

Get bent!

lol maybe i should wtach it again, huh.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

Get bent!

lol maybe i should wtach it again, huh.

At Best Buy from today to the 30th

3 for $20

Poltergeist

The Legend of Hell House

Jacobs Ladder

Children of the Corn (NOT Divimax, old one)

Evil Dead 2

Scream

The Faculty

Fright Night

Blair Witch Project

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Childs Play

The Amityville Horror

April Fools Day

Jeepers Creepers

The Believers

The Fog