TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Iggy's New College Football Rankings

This week is a perfect example of why I need to make my own college football rankings. Arizona State who is currently undefeated, beat Iowa last week by a score of 44-7. It was utter domination, as Iowa didn't even get their lone touchdown until the 4th quarter.

Yet look at the new ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, and you'll see that Iowa's ranked and Arizona State is not. "Why is that?", you might ask. Do they know something magical about Iowa that we don't? No, it's just that it was a late game, and most of the coaches didn't even bother to check the score.

Anyway, without further ado, here's Iggy's unbiased I-A NCF rankings:

.. Team .............Record Prev.

1. USC .................3-0 .... 1

2. Miami ...............2-0 .... 2

3. Oklahoma .........3-0 .... 3

4. Purdue .............2-0 .... 4

5. Texas ...............2-0 .... 5

6. Tennessee ........2-0 .... 8

7. Florida State .....1-1 .... 9

8. Boise State .......3-0 .... 6

9. Auburn .............3-0 ... 15

10. LSU ................2-1 .... 7

11. California ........2-0 ... 11

12. Utah ...............3-0 ... 12

13. Georgia ..........3-0 ... 13

14. Virginia ..........3-0 ... 14

15. Ohio State ......3-0 ... 16

16. Arizona State ..3-0 .... -

17. West Virginia ...3-0 ... 20

18. Fresno State ...3-0 ... 10

19. Stanford .........2-0 ... 17

20. Virginia Tech ...2-1 ... 18

21. Florida ............1-1 ... 24

22. Alabama .........3-0 .... -

23. Boston College 3-0 .... -

24. Wisconsin .......3-0 ... 23

25. Michigan .........2-1 ... 25

Nope. No way Miami deserves to be above OU. OU's ranked #2 nationally for a good reason. They have one of the best offenses in the country and a great defense. There's no reason they shouldn't go undefeated and they've backed it up on the field.

Miami's offense seems to have a little bit of trouble(the FSU game as an example)until fully pressured.

I can't believe you're already splitting hairs over whether OU or Miami is really number 2 in Iggy's rankings.

Oh wait, of course I can. We're three weeks into the season - can we wait until everyone's played a few more games before we start with the OU madness? Especially considering that Miami's beaten a very good Florida State squad - they did it ugly, and I'll call them on that, but they did it. When OU dispatches Texas with the same ease they usually do, then maybe we can have a reasonable comparison.

Eh.....I'll wait for the Red River Shootout. I think OU will be ranked #1 or have some more first place votes after they lay another shit kicking down on Texas.

And then REVENGE ON KSU! Though I would feel better about it if KSU had a better squad. But even if there squad isn't as good as last year Bill Snyder knows the in's and out's of the OU program which always makes his team a challenge.

These still make little to no sense.

The coaches poll makes little to no sense. (See my ASU/Iowa example above.) All of my rankings are completely justified by logic.

Nope. No way Miami deserves to be above OU. OU's ranked #2 nationally for a good reason. They have one of the best offenses in the country and a great defense. There's no reason they shouldn't go undefeated and they've backed it up on the field.

Miami's offense seems to have a little bit of trouble(the FSU game as an example)until fully pressured.

Oklahoma's a very good team, and I have them ranked third in the country.

They just haven't proven themselves like Miami has against Florida State, or USC has against Virginia Tech. In addition, they've failed to dominate mediocre teams, as they let Bowling Green stay in the game late into the fourth quarter, whereas USC has shown killer instinct in similar situations against Colorado State and BYU.

Boise State dominated the same Oregon State team that outplayed LSU, and would have won in Baton Rouge except for extra points. Their offense has also been utterly dominant through the year, as they are averaging 55 points a game, and no one has come close to stopping them.

However, they didn't play as well as they should have against UTEP as they actually let them stay in the game into the second half, so I dropped them a couple spots this week.

Ohio State has been struggling this year, even against mediocre competition, as they nearly lost to Marshall, and were far from impressive against Cincinnatti. They did do better against the Wolfpack, but I didn't think it was enough to warrant lifting them over teams that have dominated this year like Utah, Virginia, or California.

Boise State dominated the same Oregon State team that outplayed LSU, and would have won in Baton Rouge except for extra points.

That's easy to say, but you can also throw out that if conditions were better (no remnants of a hurricane left), LSU would have won by more.

Cal: at Air Force, New Mexico State. Is winning close games against mediocre competition better or worse than blowing out cupcakes?

Ohio State has only trailed 4 minutes at the start of the 1st quarter of the first game of the season.

I'll take close wins any day of the week, as long as they are wins.

Where the hell is Minnesota? If Wisconsin and Michigan are ranked than the Gophers should be has well.

None of those teams have been very impressive, but I gave Wisconsin a slight nod over Minnesota due to the fact that they didn't have a close game with a mediocre I-AA team, and that their defense looks like they'll be able to pull them out of the fire in a lot of close games.

I decided to give Michigan a little bit of a pass due to their performance last year. I kind of like to let undefeated teams fall no lower than 10 spots below their final rank last year when I start out, so I figured it was only fair to let Michigan stay within 20 spots of their final rank last year (5) with one loss.

these rankings dont make sense. Its just like he took teams and randomly shuffled the ones with losses around. Alabama isn't that good. Who has Virgina played to be ahead of Fresno State. Why is Fresno below Boise when they have beaten two teams on the road at stadiums where it is very hard to win.

First of all, Washington is terrible. They'll be lucky to win four games this year. And the reason Fresno dropped is that they only beat Portland State by 10, when PSU isn't even a very good I-AA team.