TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Major Miscommunications With RAW

There was a lot of negative reaction backstage tonight at Raw centering around the Kane-Lita angle. Earlier today, the company realized that Lita was not at the show, even though she had been written into it. As best I can tell, there was a communication screw up between the Raw writers and talent relations and she was never notified that she had to be in Kansas City, despite the fact that an airline ticket was issued in her name (though it was never communicated to her). When they realized that she wasn't there, they had to rewrite the Kane-Lita segments. In their haste to get that done, they scripted the line about the baby not being the only person to die, completely forgetting the fact that Owen Hart died there in 1999. There was a lot of negative reaction backstage (and among fans) to the line when it aired, as many of the wrestlers couldn't believe that WWE would do that while the Raw writers basically said that they didn't realize what they had done. I don't even know what to say.

CREDIT: Dave Scherer/PWInsider

I wouldn't blame the writers as they honestly didn't know about Owen.

Now whoever didn't clue them in that death references would be in bad taste - blame them.

Stephanie's the head of the booking - how could she NOT know about Owen? Everything goes through her at some point. And with a long running angle like this, I'm sure it goes through Vince as well.

I think that in a mad scramble they all just forgot what city they were in. Probably an honest mistake, but you never know with WWE.

Guest Archibald Mutombo
Probably an honest mistake, but you never with WWE.

That's for sure!

:bonk:

I was wondering why there was no Lita interview. When a Lita interview is hyped, don't dash my hopes and not show one! That's just cruel!

Seriously, I'm sure it was an honest mistake. There would be no way they'd intentionally do something like that.

In their haste to get that done, they scripted the line about the baby not being the only person to die, completely forgetting the fact that Owen Hart died there in 1999. [/i]

No one in the audience that I'm aware of made the connection.

I kind of wonder how Gene Snitsky feels about "baby killer" being chanted at him.

I'd be willing to bet he likes the heat. He seemed really into the "its not my fault" promo he cut.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

It's not Snitsky's fault that the writers were oblivious to Owen Hart having died in the same arena that they wrote the interview in 30 minutes before air time

I don't get to watch the show until I get home from work in a little bit, but I'm confused here...

- Someone in the segment said "The baby wasn't the only one to die here."

- It was a scripted line, but the writers completely forgot about Owen Hart.

- Who was the other one to 'die' that the interviewee was refering to if it wasn't Owen?

I don't get to watch the show until I get home from work in a little bit, but I'm confused here...

- Who was the other one to 'die' that the interviewee was refering to if it wasn't Owen?

Actually, it was more "The baby won't be the only one who dies" and Kane was refering to Gene Snisky.

Guest Salacious Crumb
I wouldn't blame the writers as they honestly didn't know about Owen.

Now whoever didn't clue them in that death references would be in bad taste - blame them.

Stephanie's the head of the booking - how could she NOT know about Owen? Everything goes through her at some point. And with a long running angle like this, I'm sure it goes through Vince as well.

I think that in a mad scramble they all just forgot what city they were in. Probably an honest mistake, but you never know with WWE.

No, it's exactly the writers fault. It's their job to know these things and to write around them. If the wrestlers and fans know about it there's no reason why the writers shouldn't.

Actually, it was more "The baby won't be the only one who dies" and Kane was refering to Gene Snisky.

Well, if that was the case, then I think we're stretching a little bit for indignation.

No, it's exactly the writers fault.  It's their job to know these things and to write around them.  If the wrestlers and fans know about it there's no reason why the writers shouldn't.

Considering it is WWE, the writers may not have to know about even Attitude-era pro wrestling as part of their job. The fault for glitches like this starts at the top.

I just watched the tape and quite frankly, I really don't understand why everybody is making a big deal about this. Kane was doing an interview from a remote location and basically made a euphism for the fact that he's going to kick Gene Snitsky's ass for causing his wife to have a miscarriage.

This whole debate is stupid.

This whole angle is stupid.

Corrected for truth.

I just watched the tape and quite frankly, I really don't understand why everybody is making a big deal about this.  Kane was doing an interview from a remote location and basically made a euphemism for the fact that he's going to kick Gene Snitsky's ass for causing his wife to have a miscarriage.

Kane's a face now after having raped Lita and forcing her to marry him (and the grounds for that is really stupid as well). How fucked up is that?

Even if Gene did it intentionally (it's pretty much implied there's some EVIL MASTERMIND who sent him in to do a "job"), Gene "killed" something that's technically not alive, but Kane's recent and past criminal actions make Gene's look like jaywalking.

Lita wasn't showing, and if she miscarried this early in pregnancy, it's much more likely to be something completely unrelated to this incident (such as a birth defect Lita's system "caught" ).

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/miscarr.asp

When you conceive and a baby is created, it takes half its genes from the sperm and half from the egg that ovulated that month. At the exact time of conception, the cross-over of these genes takes place. Sometimes, for no reason other than bad luck, some information is lost and the pregnancy is destined from that point not to be. It might be that this lost information is not needed for many weeks, and the pregnancy will continue as normal until that time. When the needed information is not there, it is then that the baby dies and you begin to miscarry. Sometimes when this happens, the miscarriage doesn't happen right away. This is called a 'missed' miscarriage and may not be picked up until some weeks later, following a slight loss or period-type pains.

It's completely plausible, especially with wrestling's common "conveniences" that it is completely not Gene's fault.

Guest JMA

One of the things I actually like about this angle was the way Snitsky was introduced. Everyone assumed he was just some jobber from OVW that Kane was going to destroy. He then surprises everyone by causing Kane to fall on Lita, making her lose the baby. And now he's getting major heat from the crowd.

I suppose I'm thankful that the WWE is still able to surprise me, on occasion.

You remember Steph's 9-11 comment right?

You remember Steph's 9-11 comment right?

It makes me angry to just to think about that.

I mean, comparing 9/11 to her father's trial was just retarded. Fucking idiot.

One of the things I actually like about this angle was the way Snitsky was introduced. Everyone assumed he was just some jobber from OVW that Kane was going to destroy. He then surprises everyone by causing Kane to fall on Lita, making her lose the baby. And now he's getting major heat from the crowd.

I suppose I'm thankful that the WWE is still able to surprise me, on occasion.

It's good in that sense.

But it's bad in that this whole angle is pretty misogynistic (but then again, so is wrestling as a whole, but I think in this case moreso than usual).

Guest whitemilesdavis
Well, if that was the case, then I think we're stretching a little bit for indignation.

Bingo!

Wrestling fans sure have become ultra-sensitive in the last couple of years.

Hey, what city did Droz get dropped in, so we can all know to be hyper-sensitive about any "he's trying to end his career!" type hyperbole from the announcers. Even if they WERE trying to imply something about Owen, it's not the end of the world. And the fact that they most likely were NOT trying to imply something about him shouldn't be overlooked.

Hey, what city did Droz get dropped in, so we can all know to be hyper-sensitive about any "he's trying to end his career!" type hyperbole from the announcers.

I realize the request was half-joking, but in case anyone did want to know and could then complain ... 10/5/99; Nassau Coliseum in Long Island

Guest whitemilesdavis

They made no comment about Owen Hart. Period.

What? Now you can't say "die" in Kansas City because Owen died there? Give me a break. It was completely unrelated, and we all know it.