TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Yankees/Twins ALDS Thread

losing 22-0 has to account for a big chunk of that.

It accounts for three wins. Remove that and the Yankees become a 92 win squad.

and I've tried to avoid this argument, and he's a great player to be sure, but may I say for the record that the Jeter love has reached ridiculous new highs. I knew as soon as he scored that the clutch tag-up would be invented the next morning. My favorite line actually came for Reggie Jackson, "Jeter won't be remembered for hitting .350, he'll be remembered for clutch performance"

Reggie Jackson is notorious for that. Not just for Jeter, but for anyone. To Jackson, a game of baseball is all about grit, determination, etc., with these traits determined by how one performs in the heat of the contest. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Jackson was a great clutch performer who hit .227/.298/.380 in 163 League Championship Series at bats.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I more enjoyed it because Jeter has never in his life hit .350

I more enjoyed it because Jeter has never in his life hit .350

Well, he's hit .349.

.339, .311, .324, .314, .324 and has had 3 seasons with over 200 hits. 3 with 190 or more. About .314 in the playoffs with 13 home runs. I'd say he's a more than a good hitter.

Guest Anglesault
The thing that should really worry Yankee fans is that they overperformed their pythagorean record by 12 wins. Contrary to some posters' objections, that DOES have a measure of future performance.

They have beat out that meaningless statistic for almost the entire run. Every year from 1994 through the present with the exception of 1997. They've somehow managed.

The thing that should really worry Yankee fans is that they overperformed their pythagorean record by 12 wins.  Contrary to some posters' objections, that DOES have a measure of future performance.

They have beat out that meaningless statistic for almost the entire run. Every year from 1994 through the present with the exception of 1997. They've somehow managed.

It's hardly a meaningless statistic. It is a useful predictor of future performance, and it gives you a pretty good idea of where a team is starting from. The Yankees have outperformed it every year since 1998, which I think could be one of three factors. Luck, Mariano Rivera, and/or Joe Torre. In any case, that the margin is 12 wins this season is unusual, and in fact it is the highest figure in baseball season. Of course, George Steinbrenner will hardly rest easy this offseason, so it really does not matter.

We had some success with a live chat for a Red Sox/Yankees game earlier this season, and given the length of this thread thus far, I will probably run a live chat for tonight's game as well.

Guest Anglesault
It's hardly a meaningless statistic. It is a useful predictor of future performance,

Just not with this team.

::gasp::

They most know the secret!

It's hardly a meaningless statistic.  It is a useful predictor of future performance,

Just not with this team.

Yes. Compile an insanely good record in one run games. The common link with these teams is Mariano Rivera.

Guest Anglesault

It's hardly a meaningless statistic.  It is a useful predictor of future performance,

Just not with this team.

Yes. Compile an insanely good record in one run games.

Which is somehow a sign that they're going to sink to the depths of hell?

Just not with this team.

Yes. Compile an insanely good record in one run games.

Which is somehow a sign that they're going to sink to the depths of hell?

89 games is hardly the depths of hell, except to a Yankees fan. But would you expect to run this pitching staff on the field again and expect to win 100 games? Of course not. The Yankees need improvements to maintain their current level.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Yay! The Angels are out so I get to take out my frustration on the pathetic Yankees pitching!

That didn't take long...

Guest Anglesault
There's been a change of plans. Due to the overwhelming excitement of the WNBA Finals, that will be our main theme of discussion during the chat.

Are the Liberty still in it?

Seattle vs Connecticut I believe. Good year for Connecticut, men's and women's national titles, and now WNBA finals.