TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

Initial BCS standings released

The initial BCS standings are out. They're very boring, with the exception of one mild surprise:

1. USC

2. Miami

3. Oklahoma

4. Auburn

5. FSU

6. Wisconsin

7. Utah

8. California

9. Tennessee

10. Georgia

11. Texas

12. Purdue

So, basically, the BCS standings are the polls, with the tiniest of adjustments (OU and Miami are separated by just .014). I liked the confusing asshole one much more. See a .pdf of the top 25 here.

I want USC, Auburn, Miami and OU to all end undefeated. Just to watch the heads of College football explode.

I could honestly make a case for any of the teams in the top four to be in the National Championship game. I can't make a case for Florida State, too many questions on offense.

And what happens if Wisconsin finishes undefeated as well? Man, talk about turmoil.

Hmm.......it'll work itself out after we go undefeated.....as long as we remain #2 in the polls and close the gap with USC.

OU is getting hurt for the same reason USC got hurt last year. A miserable conference. Last year the Pac-10 was miserable, this year it's decent.

Last year the Big 12 was strong, this year the Big 12 is below miserable.

Just give me five undefeated teams and let them explain to me how two of those undefeated teams are better than the other three teams. I want to see if they can pull off the explanation.

Better yet, give me Boise State as undefeated as well.

I loooove chaos.

I'm not sure anything will make the BCS see the light

If the split-championship-which-the-BCS-was-designed-to-prevent last year didn't do anything, it'd take something like a meteor landing on the NCAA...

The Big XII isn't below miserable. The Big XII North is below miserable which hurts the conference. The Big XII South is awesome with 5 great teams that eat the North for lunch.

Oh well I was reading what they were saying over on ESPN.com and they said that if things continue the way they are OU will just leap Miami after wins over A&M and OSU.

The feeling I'm getting and what I've actually heard said was the only way OU and USC don't meet in the Orange Bowl is if one of them lose. That the only way for either of these teams to be out is to lose. Otherwise everyone else could be undefeated but they have a stranglehold on it until they lose.

If the split-championship-which-the-BCS-was-designed-to-prevent last year didn't do anything, it'd take something like a meteor landing on the NCAA...

What split championship? And if it has anything to do with USC it's invalid.

Otherwise everyone else could be undefeated but they have a stranglehold on it until they lose.

That's what sucks about this incarnation of the BCS. If three or four teams go undefeated, whichever teams the voters thought was the best in the preseason are the ones that play for the national title. Who's to say that Miami's better than Oklahoma or not, or that Wisconsin's not playing the best football in the country?

I DESPERATELY want there to be 3 undefeated teams from major conferences this season, just so they can show BCS 4.0 to be just as big a crock as every other version that came before it.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Good, looks like yet another disaster for the BCS. It's really sad that this has only worked twice since it started being used.

What split championship? And if it has anything to do with USC it's invalid.

Whatever.

Guest GreatOne
The Big XII isn't below miserable. The Big XII North is below miserable which hurts the conference. The Big XII South is awesome with 5 great teams that eat the North for lunch.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, FIVE great teams? In relation to each other, yeah.

Three maybe, OU, Texas, and A&M

OSU and Tech in the pretty good range.

But hate to break it to you, the North is still part of the Big XII. Just like if the Pac 10 were split up (with two more teams, say BYU and Utah) Cal'd have to put up with Wazzu, UW, OSU, and Oregon dragging them down in the North (at least Stanford doesn't totally suck)

OSU is better than they showed this past weekend. A&M is just that much better. I think OSU will beat Texas. Hell there only other loss may be to OU.

Not every conference(except the SEC) has 8-10 great teams.

The Big XII has 1 Elite team, 3 great teams, 1 good team(Tech), 1 so-so team(Mizzou), and then 6 bad ones. That sounds about average. Not miserable. About on the level with the Pac 10.

Guest GreatOne

I wasn't judging OSU as a team on the A&M game.

The SEC doesn't even have '8-10 great teams'. Florida is your usual Ron Zook coached team, South Carolina could be decent, Tennessee's jury is still out, Arkansas, LSU and Bama are average, and Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Miss St are crap. So that leaves Auburn and Georgia.

And you can feel free to stop with the Pac 10 jabs anytime...................

I wasn't judging OSU as a team on the A&M game.

The SEC doesn't even have '8-10 great teams'. Florida is your usual Ron Zook coached team, South Carolina could be decent, Tennessee's jury is still out, Arkansas, LSU and Bama are average, and Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Miss St are crap. So that leaves Auburn and Georgia.

And you can feel free to stop with the Pac 10 jabs anytime...................

I'll quit when you quit with the Big XII and OU jabs.......

The SEC doesn't even have '8-10 great teams'.

Okay, I'll hear this out.

Florida is your usual Ron Zook coached team,

If by that you mean in the Top 25 and would have an undefeated record this season were it not for LSU's comeback and Tennessee's 4th Quarter heroics, sure.

South Carolina could be decent

As much as I hate USC, I have to defend them for a change. They're not on the level of Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee just yet, but they're still a good team that's always overlooked and can ruin a better team's day.

Tennessee's jury is still out

Recover from blowout at home by beating the #3 team in the nation on the road, currently ranked #11 in the AP poll.

Yeah, that jury's a bitch.

Arkansas, LSU and Bama are average

Arkansas is currently in the same boat as USC in that they aren't top-tier yet they can beat anyone who doesn't take them seriously. Fortunately for Auburn, they prepared. LSU is recovering after the Georgia thumping put them at rock bottom, overcoming a huge deficit on the road at Florida, and with a needed Bye week to recharge for a late-season run to what should end up being only a two-loss season. Alabama plays hard every week and could very well beat Tennessee this Saturday.

and Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Miss St are crap.

Yes, yes, no, and yes. Ole Miss has recovered from some early troubles to possibly have a pretty respectable season, and is yet another of those teams that can shock a higher-ranked opponent.

So that leaves Auburn and Georgia.

And Tennessee. And Florida. And LSU. And Arkansas. And South Carolina. And Alabama. And Ole Miss.

The SEC's biggest enemy might be its own great teams. You end up with everyone beating each other.

Guest MikeSC
The SEC doesn't even have '8-10 great teams'.

Okay, I'll hear this out.

Florida is your usual Ron Zook coached team,

If by that you mean in the Top 25 and would have an undefeated record this season were it not for LSU's comeback and Tennessee's 4th Quarter heroics, sure.

Zook doesn't win big games, but to claim that Florida is less than a top-level team is absurd.

I'll say this --- Florida would dispatch Texas with ease.

South Carolina could be decent

As much as I hate USC, I have to defend them for a change. They're not on the level of Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee just yet, but they're still a good team that's always overlooked and can ruin a better team's day.

Having watched their game this weekend, it's a team where the coaches, in spite of injuring the starting AND 2nd string QB's --- and having a phalanx of solid RB's to use --- STILL insists on running the QB incessantly. And they have an elite WR who they don't throw to.

S. Carolina is not all that good of a team --- and I am a huge fan of theirs --- but they have a knack for playing games close (their 2 losses are by a combined 8 points). They don't untalent the good teams, but their chances against anybody save Florida or Auburn are decent.

Tennessee's jury is still out

Recover from blowout at home by beating the #3 team in the nation on the road, currently ranked #11 in the AP poll.

Hell, they are one of the best teams in the country right now. That Auburn so easily handled them only shows how great Auburn (who was supposed to be excellent last year) is.

Arkansas, LSU and Bama are average

Arkansas is currently in the same boat as USC in that they aren't top-tier yet they can beat anyone who doesn't take them seriously. Fortunately for Auburn, they prepared. LSU is recovering after the Georgia thumping put them at rock bottom, overcoming a huge deficit on the road at Florida, and with a needed Bye week to recharge for a late-season run to what should end up being only a two-loss season. Alabama plays hard every week and could very well beat Tennessee this Saturday.

Arkansas is hit-or-miss (I don't expect them to win in Columbia in 3 weeks). LSU has been killed by bad QB's. Neither guy they have can do the job and the defense, while good, cannot be expected to do all of the work. Alabama is just not good. Their freshman QB is, on his best days, mediocre.

and Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Miss St are crap.

Yes, yes, no, and yes. Ole Miss has recovered from some early troubles to possibly have a pretty respectable season, and is yet another of those teams that can shock a higher-ranked opponent.

Hell, Ole Miss will likely make a bowl. Their offense is clicking now and they do just enough to win some games.

The rest, yes, are absolute garbage.

So that leaves Auburn and Georgia.

And Tennessee. And Florida. And LSU. And Arkansas. And South Carolina. And Alabama. And Ole Miss.

The SEC's biggest enemy might be its own great teams. You end up with everyone beating each other.

The SEC will get 7 bowl teams (Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, S. Carolina), which is damned impressive.

-=Mike

The SEC is not as good as you maintain, Kotz. This year it appears to have one juggernaut, two very close contenders in Georgia and Tennessee and some very good but problem-addled teams in Florida and LSU. Its basement teams are as shitty as they've ever been, and everyone else is middle of the pack.

Admittedly, it's still the most impressive conference overall this year. But with NC State and Virginia Tech starting to find their stride and A&M and Oklahoma State looking better than expected, the gap has closed substantially.

Guest Salacious Crumb

5 teams? Texas is the biggest fraud in the country right now. OU, OSU and A&M are the only teams in the Big XII worth a damn this year. Texas is a voter favorite so they'll always be overrated but I doubt they could beat anyone in the top 25 with the team they currently have unless Vince Young is out for the season. The ACC, PAC 10, SEC and Big Ten are all better conferences this year. Hell Conference USA might be a slighty better conference this season.

5 teams? Texas is the biggest fraud in the country right now. OU, OSU and A&M are the only teams in the Big XII worth a damn this year. Texas is a voter favorite so they'll always be overrated but I doubt they could beat anyone in the top 25 with the team they currently have unless Vince Young is out for the season. The ACC, PAC 10, SEC and Big Ten are all better conferences this year. Hell Conference USA might be a slighty better conference this season.

Yeah my ass CUSA is better.

The teams in the Big XII south are good enough to make the conference tough to play in. Just as tough if not tougher than the Pac 10.

Fact is that while OU doesn't play in the toughest conference in the country there schedule still isn't a cakewalk as they have to go through 3 legit Top 25 teams to finish the season.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'd take Louisville, UAB, Southern Miss and Memphis over anyone in the Big XII who isn't OU or A&M right now. Same with the Pac 10 as USC, California, Stanford, Arizona State and Washington State could easily beat anyone in the Big XII who isn't OU or A&M.

No I still think that Texas(there D is good and if they can run they're dangerous) and Oklahoma State would give beat a lot of those guys.

WSU? OSU would eat them for lunch. Same with ASU and Stanford.

They're a lot better than they showed against A&M. A&M is just really good. The battle between OU and A&M in College Station will be pretty good.

For some reason the Big XII and OU is always getting shit on. I don't know why. People like put on blinders and refuse to believe that any teams in it are any good.

Probably because of their shitty performance in the bowls last year. I mean Oklahoma got beat by LSU, Texas got beat by Wazzu, Missouri lost to Arkansas, KSU got beat by Ohio State, and Oklahoma State lost to Ole Miss. I think Texas Tech and Nebraska were the only Big XII teams to win bowl games last year.

Probably because of their shitty performance in the bowls last year. I mean Oklahoma got beat by LSU, Texas got beat by Wazzu, Missouri lost to Arkansas, KSU got beat by Ohio State, and Oklahoma State lost to Ole Miss. I think Texas Tech and Nebraska were the only Big XII teams to win bowl games last year.

Yet the OSU/Ole Miss game was very close. So was the Sugar Bowl(LSU's offense got dominated by OU's D in the second half). It's not like they all got blown out by 30 points.

Guest Salacious Crumb
No I still think that Texas(there D is good and if they can run they're dangerous) and Oklahoma State would give beat a lot of those guys.

WSU? OSU would eat them for lunch. Same with ASU and Stanford.

They're a lot better than they showed against A&M. A&M is just really good. The battle between OU and A&M in College Station will be pretty good.

For some reason the Big XII and OU is always getting shit on. I don't know why. People like put on blinders and refuse to believe that any teams in it are any good.

They just aren't outside of OU, OSU and A&M. Those teams are good but the rest of the conference is painfully average to worse. That's not a shot at OU, OSU or A&M, they can't help it if the rest of the teams suck. But they are one of the weaker conferences in football right now.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Texas is an 8-3 or 7-4 calibur team which is pretty average to slightly above average. Voters never learn their lesson with Texas though. But Texas always grows fat off of low calibur teams and get crushed when they run into any upper tier team.

Guest Salacious Crumb

That's not a huge feat when you beat up on the likes of New Mexico St., Tulane, Houston, Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State and North Carolina for at least 4 or 5 of your games every year.

Understand it's my position that Texas has been one of the biggest frauds in college football the last 4 or 5 years.

Well I don't think they have been really. I think they just get beat down by a team that is just obviously better than them and is generally better than most if not all of the country.