TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Evaluating Free Agent Catchers

I'll try and do all the positions as time allows. Schoolwork has a nasty habit of taking up my time, however. I list the top 10, and evaluate the top 5.

1. Jason Varitek

2. Damian Miller

3. Mike Matheny

4. Gregg Zaun

5. Doug Mirabelli

6. Dan Wilson

7. Mike Redmond

8. Javier Valentin

9. Todd Pratt

10. Sandy Alomar Jr.

Jason Varitek is a switch hitting catcher with power. The good is that he is easily the best catcher on the market. He is 32, so the usual concerns about catcher aging patterns apply. The problem with Varitek is that he is overrated. His .390 OBP was over 40 points higher than his career average, and it could be a fluke. He has shown inconsistancy in the past. He is good for a two or three year deal, but I would not bet the farm on him. I would be surprised to see him land outside Boston.

Damian Miller experienced a career revival with the Oakland Athletics. Unfortunately, he will be 35 next season. Miller posted 15 win shares this season. In his five previous seasons, he posted totals of 10, 11, 10, 10 and 10. Alot of consistancy there. I think he will regress to his previous level. Miller is underrated, and the Athletics value his defense, so I expect he will stay in Oakland.

Mike Matheny has been the Cardinals' defensive marvel for five seasons. He provides no offense whatsoever. His best career OPS was .679. The question obviously is how much do you value his defense? Yadier Molina can play defense, and at 21, he already has a better offensive season under his belt than anything from Matheny. At 33, Matheny is best served as a backup, but some team will likely hand him a starting job, based on his prior experience.

Gregg Zaun posted a career best .367 OBP in 338 at bats with the Toronto Blue Jays. Zaun's had great years sandwiched between bad years, so it is tough to judge what kind of performance you will get. Make no mistake, Zaun is a very good hitter, and will make an excellent backup somewhere. I would love to see the Phillies make this move. I am hard pressed to say which teams are likely to seek Zaun, but many teams SHOULD seek Zaun for their benches, including the Yankees, Cardinals, and Astros.

Doug Mirabelli's primary value is that you have to put someone at the end of a top five list. Still, Mirabelli has a career .331 OBP and .426 slugging percentage, about league average. And he can catch the knuckleball, so he has some obvious defensive skills. There are teams doing alot worse right now at catcher. Mirabelli is the kind of player the Oakland Athletics could plug in their lineup in a pinch.

I hope Miller's stock didn't rise TOO MUCH that a deeper pocketed team doesn't come along and snatch him away. I hope he resigns with Oakland.

How could Paul Bako not crack the top 10?!? Udmurt Korka-murt how?

EDIT: for reasons completely unbeknowst to me, I hit a key somewhere, probably paste, that put in the phrase "udmurt korka-murt." I was looking something up about Finno-Ugric mythology for somebody and that was the name of a house spirit that would tidy up the place when you were gone. Anyway, I somehow inserted it in the midst of my rage about Paul Bako not making the Top 10, and I'm just gonna leave Udmurt Korka-murt in there.

Is there a possible reason as to why JP has not re-signed Greg Zaun, i know there is infact a catcher waiting in the wings. I mean he has a great arm, but he isn't there hitting wise. At least 2 yrs away from being a starting catcher IMO.

Probably to give Quiroz some playing time. The shitty 2004 has kind of bought them some rebuilding time, so no one expects them to contend in '05 now, so they can get away with having a bunch of rookies play (Quiroz, Adams, Rios, and Gross are all going to be in their first full seasons and will probably get quite a bit of playing time and Bush should probably be in the rotation, at least to start the season).

Are there any catchers out on the trade market? I really wouldn't be surprised if Orlando Hudson got traded (especially if he wins the Gold Glove, his trade value will be high).

I can't imagine a shitter season then 2004 especially with all the talent. If that's the case then 05 is going to be very hard to watch. Wonder if we end up in the cellar again. What i wouldn't give to see the Jays get moved from the East to the Central, as JP's plan can not work in the AL East with the yankees and red sox spending as they do.

Well, they'll be playing young players, but they are good players who showed promise in '04. Ricciardi's said that his ideal payroll would be ~$70 million, and Rogers may still bump up how much he'll pay this year since they're almost breaking even now (though I doubt they were losing as much as they said they were a few years ago).

I think the Blue Jays will be much improved next season. Their pitching actually improved, but their runs scored fell from 2nd to 10th in the league. Just about all of their players performed at the bottom of their talent level. They should rebound, and Riccardi will patch the holes where needed. And they do have a great deak of young talent.

Just so you know, there is a good chance the reds will non-tender Jason LaRue, as he will get a raise above his 2 million salary, and they are not sure he is worth much more. I am not sure where you will put him.

Just so you know, there is a good chance the reds will non-tender Jason LaRue, as he will get a raise above his 2 million salary, and they are not sure he is worth much more. I am not sure where you will put him.

Second. He's just about on the level of Damian Miller, and he's younger than all but Javier Valentin.

Are there any catchers out on the trade market? I really wouldn't be surprised if Orlando Hudson got traded (especially if he wins the Gold Glove, his trade value will be high).

Hypothetical situation: Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty pulls a sign-and-trade with Mike Matheny, sending him to the Jays for Orlando Hudson to fill the upcoming 2B slot.

Are there any catchers out on the trade market?  I really wouldn't be surprised if Orlando Hudson got traded (especially if he wins the Gold Glove, his trade value will be high).

Hypothetical situation: Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty pulls a sign-and-trade with Mike Matheny, sending him to the Jays for Orlando Hudson to fill the upcoming 2B slot.

I think there's a rule in place that prevents a GM from pulling such a move, without the player agreeing to the trade.

Report today is the A's won't be re-signing Damian Miller. He's apparantly asking for a three-year deal and in that case I wouldn't keep him either. I doubt a catcher his age will have many teams offering three years so I wouldn't rule him still coming back to Oakland. Hopefully by 2006 John Baker will be ready and by 2007 either Kurt Suzuki or Landon Powell could take over so they only really need a one-year stop gap this season.

Guest Anglesault

I could see Matheny on the team next year, playing Girardi to Dioner's Posada.

Are there any catchers out on the trade market?  I really wouldn't be surprised if Orlando Hudson got traded (especially if he wins the Gold Glove, his trade value will be high).

I think there's a rule in place that prevents a GM from pulling such a move, without the player agreeing to the trade.

Yeah...I think free agents signed during the offseason can't be traded until May or June of the next season.