TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Evaluating Free Agent Shortstops

This is the interesting position in the free agency market, with a ton of useful players available.

1. Nomar Garciaparra

2. Edgar Renteria

3. Christian Guzman

4. Omar Vizquel

5. Orlando Cabrera

6. Jose Valentin

7. Rich Aurilia

8. Royce Clayton

9. Barry Larkin

10. Alex Gonzalez

Nomar Garciaparra had a poor season by his standards, lowering his value. He is a potential bargain. Garciaparra holds a .322 career batting average, third among active players. His four most similar batters at his age are in the Hall of Fame. He still has quite a few years left. I think the Angels, Mariners, and White Sox will show interest.

Edgar Renteria had a subpar year, posting just a 287/327/401 line. Still, he has hitting potential, speed, and he is a superior defender. At 29, he could be an excellent long term investment.

Christian Guzman is just entering his prime years, which could mean a boost to his offensive numbers. But his key is his defense, which is excellent. Guzman is an option for teams looking to improve defensively, and at 27, he is the youngest player out there.

Omar Vizquel had a good year offensively, boosting his value. His offense will decline, and his defense is just average at this point. Still, he can make a nice fill in for a season.

Orlando Cabrera is overrated. He boasts a gaudy .316 career OBP, and he turns 30 next season. He is good on defense, but you can find that anywhere. Based on the Red Sox' title, someone will likely overpay for his services.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

the White Sox look like the're going to go with first ballot Hall of Famer Juan Uribe at short. arg.

Guest cpac

This is one of the better crop of players available. It is going to be interesting to see what Boston, St. Louis, Chicago and whomever else do. I would love to see where Nomar is going to end up he must be killing himself right now for sulking and crying himself off a World Series team.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

he's definatly good defensively, I'll grant you that, but I'm always afraid of Beltre years. At least he's not Nefi Perez I guess.

Uribe posted a .327 OBP and .506 Slugging percentage last season, at the age of 24. He's also above average defensively. You could do a LOT worse.

Get Fuzzy's got to be the best comic strip going now.

That is all.

Uribe posted a .327 OBP and .506 Slugging percentage last season, at the age of 24. He's also above average defensively. You could do a LOT worse.

Orlando Cabrera is overrated. He boasts a gaudy .316 career OBP, and he turns 30 next season.

Not to take the thread off course, but what would you consider to be a "good" OBP? How would you rank OBP scores? (i.e. most people would consider .260 to be an mediocre batting average, whereas .300 is considered good)

Orlando Cabrera is overrated. He boasts a gaudy .316 career OBP, and he turns 30 next season.

Not to take the thread off course, but what would you consider to be a "good" OBP? How would you rank OBP scores? (i.e. most people would consider .260 to be an mediocre batting average, whereas .300 is considered good)

I'm not trying to answer for Al here, but what I see when I look at those numbers is this: Cabrera, in the prime of his career, has a .316 lifetime OBP, which is bad. Uribe, who is young and still improving at the big-league level, posted a .327 OBP last year (to go along with a pretty decent SLG), and has plenty of time to improve on that mark.