01. The Zombies - Care of Cell 44

02. Neil Young - Lookin' for a Love

03. Colin Newman - Alone

04. Wire - Kidney Bingos

05. The Wedding Present - Kennedy

06. The Smiths - Girlfriend in a Coma

07. Orange Juice - Three Cheers for Our Side

08. Big Star - Thirteen

09. The Homosexuals - Slow Soft Africans (Fast)

10. Swell Maps - Midget Submarines

11. Mission of Burma - Mica

12. Echo and the Bunnymen - All That Jazz

13. Hüsker Dü - It's Not Peculiar

14. The Pop Group - We Are Time

15. Mercury Rev - In a Funny Way

Good show.

12. Echo and the Bunnymen - All That Jazz

The Flaming Lips also did a version of this. Which came first?

EDIT: Nevermind. Allmusic solved that in a brisk manner. Anyway, the Lips combined both All That Jazz and Happy Death Men on their Wastin' Pigs EP. It's good stuff.

Also I reccommend a new London band called Bloc Party as my pick for the top. Check them out, they rock.

So what happens if that link does not work?

I WANT TO LISTEN TO SOME WIRE GODDAMMIT!

EDIT: I suppose it's logical that the link wouldn't work when the show's not on. So when are the airtimes, exactly? You've been whoring that fucking radio station forever, and I'm in the mood for Big Star, so tonight might just be the night for me to get hooked.

Edited by 5_moves_of_doom

Try again next week, dude. The show ended nearly four hours ago.

Plus, the Wire song I played tonight, while good, was from the band's largely suspect synth period of the 80s. Classic Wire runs from 77-79.

Darn.

And yes, I know, but while I overall am mostly horrified by '80's Wire, I know of quite a few diamonds in the rough song-for-song. No Pink Flag's album-wise, but there are definitely a few tunes that would make a Wire Best Of.

Anyway, to be honest, I wasn't most looking forward to post-punk that I already knew of -- I was more antsy to finally hear a Homosexuals song and see if they meet the hype (sure, hype via two or three people, but hey, I haven't heard anything bad about them.) This reminds me... since you're a Homosexuals guy and a Wire guy and seem to know your post-punk... why have I never heard you mention Gang of Four? I'm not doubting whether or not you've heard of them/own Entertainment! or anything, but you always seem to be raving about Wire and Gill and the boys need some love.

This has been a good thread. godthedog, whenever he decides to come back, should post in this thread so that he and I can join hands and raise our arms triumphantly, for the last couple of days have been truly great ones.

Unless of course, everyone goes out and loads up on Tindersticks, and it turns out that they suck.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Every time I mess with his account he posts as his Eyeball Kid account and won't talk to me. He's funny when he pouts.

Oh hey, Incandenza.

I listended to that Mount Eerie album a while back, and it was pretty good. Do you suppose the rest of the Microphones albums are worthwhile? And which one first?

So it was a good thing I asked. If Mount Eerie was distinctive, I probably wouldn't like the rest so much either, because at the time I thought "This could be kind of annoying if they handled it a little differently."

The percussion in Mount Eerie was the best part.

I think it's terrible. Bands should stop reuniting.

I must agree.

The Pixies have been playing phenominal live shows and are still as energetic and potent as ever (and I've seen them three times and want more, so trust me,) but if, say, the Smiths got back together, I would have nightmares forever. The Pixies are an exception the rule, really, as pretty much every other band reunion ever (even the beloved VU) has sucked.

...Though I'm all for this Slint reunion, and would be a sucker for many other reunions no matter how half-hearted they were (Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Talking Heads, etc.)

I've no objection to a reunion if the band goes into the studio and makes an album that stands up to their best work. From this year alone, I really, really liked Mission of Burma's OnOffOn and thought Camper Van Beethoven's New Roman Times was mostly dull.

I can't see how the hell Gang of Four will have anything like enough energy this time round, but I'll still go and see em. The Wedding Present are touring in February as well. Inc, have you heard anything by The Associates? Some of the instrumentals are pedestrian but Billy Mackenzie's vocals are pretty cool. He's mainly compared to Russell Mael and Scott Walker. Play some sparks.