TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Agent_Bond34

The Official Rose Bowl Thread

Stop fucking jinxing USC! The way everyone here... well except Dama, thinks USC will pounce Oklahoma, it makes me worry that the football gods will just screw USC over, and the true USC fans like me have to suffer. So please refrain from all this "DUDE USC WILL TOTALLY CREAM OU!" crap. Tuesday night will prove who the better team is, so let's just wait til then like Dama.

Stop fucking jinxing USC! The way everyone here... well except Dama, thinks USC will pounce Oklahoma, it makes me worry that the football gods will just screw USC over, and the true USC fans like me have to suffer. So please refrain from all this "DUDE USC WILL TOTALLY CREAM OU!" crap. Tuesday night will prove who the better team is, so let's just wait til then like Dama.

Well the guys on ABC's pre-game show and the guys on College Gameday seem to think OU is as they put it "to physical" for USC and will win handidly.

So you aren't getting jinxed that bad. I think it evens itself out.

I'm on vacation. I'm bored. I watched my team lose tonight on a last second FG (the story of the season for me, it seems). And then I come in here and see Dama rooting for the Longhorns.

Dama. A Sooner. Rooting for the Longhorns.

Turn in your red and white colors, pronto.

That's all I'm going to say on that before I get tagged as egging Dama on.

As for the game itself, fuck. Michigan let an average QB (look at the stats) turn into Michael Vick against their defense and wound up losing their second RB in a row, not doing the Big 10 proud. Since Texas was favored, I wouldn't feel too bad losing to them, except for the fact I hate Mack Brown and hate seeing him vindicated for all his shit.

Well, at least he's still championshipless.

Well you know I was rooting for them to make the Big XII look better.

In bowl season I'm for every Big XII team. But during conference play they can all take a backseat to the Sooners for all I care.

However Texas did make me a little worried about what may happen in the Red River Shootout next year.

Well the guys on ABC's pre-game show and the guys on College Gameday seem to think OU is as they put it "to physical" for USC and will win handidly.

Still, I don't want to risk it. It seems to me that there's more people here that wants to see OU lose than people who wants to see USC win. It tires me, frankly. But such is life. This is not the thread to talk about it either. Texas beat Michigan plain and simple. I commend Texas for putting their money where their mouths were.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm sure it'll be 5-7 years before he wins his next big game. This probably has him on pace to finally get that big win over Oklahoma in 2010.

I'm sure it'll be 5-7 years before he wins his next big game. This probably has him on pace to finally get that big win over Oklahoma in 2010.

OU is losing 18 seniors including there QB, most of the recieving core, and most of the offensive line.

I think Texas has a shot next year. I'm just trying to be realistic.

I can already hear the sportswriters warming up a #3 preseason ranking or so for Texas and talking national title all season. I suppose they've got a right to it this year (finally, as opposed to just saying "they recruited extremely well!").

I can already hear the sportswriters warming up a #3 preseason ranking or so for Texas and talking national title all season. I suppose they've got a right to it this year (finally, as opposed to just saying "they recruited extremely well!").

Well until Texas lose that is. Texas will crumble to pressure. They always do. They won tonight but:

1. It was the Rose Bowl, with just pride on the line.

2. Against a Michigan squad who lost to Notre FREAKIN' Dame.

Guest Salacious Crumb

They'll still lose to Oklahoma next year. They may have won tonight but Michigan will probably find themselves back in a BCS Bowl well before Texas does. Unless Brown's whining becomes a yearly tradition.

Well his whining was obviously justified this year b/c they won and Cal got embarassed.

If I was playing for Cal, and we were having one of the most improbable years in school history (who seriously thought Cal would be ranked 4th this time of the year when the season started?), had a real good shot at playing in one of the most fabled bowl games, went down to Southern Mississippi to play the finale (which we win) and came home to hear we would be playing in a C-level bowl (Holiday), I'd probably be too pissed to concentrate on Texas Tech. But that's just me. No excuses though for Cal.

Unless Brown's whining becomes a yearly tradition.

I still don't get everyone hating Mack Brown for his plea to the voters. Is he supposed to just sit back and say "Yeah, sure guys, send Cal! They deserve it more than we do!"?

It's his job as the coach to help his team out any way he can. Jeff Tedford would have done the same thing, though maybe not as openly.

What did Mack Brown do exactly? Vince Young won the game for Texas. The final FG, barely made it over. Settling for a 38 yard FG with the game on the line, when Young is having the game he was having.

Guest Crazy Dan
I'm sure it'll be 5-7 years before he wins his next big game.  This probably has him on pace to finally get that big win over Oklahoma in 2010.

OU is losing 18 seniors including there QB, most of the recieving core, and most of the offensive line.

I think Texas has a shot next year. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Actually, since this is a Mack Brown coached Texas team, they will still find a way to lose. Even if the Sooners were starting their cheer squad, Mack Brown would find a way to lose.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Texas is the college football equiviliant of Kansas in College Basketball

always supposed to be great but just choke every fucking year like it's written in some ironclad legal contract with fate.

Both schools had won national championships before. They just got taken over by choking coaches (though some would argue that Kansas purged their problem).

Since we're kind of looking ahead now, I think Texas and Michigan should both be tremendous next year.

Vince Young really grew up over the course of the season, and actually looked like (gasp) a very good QB against Michigan. I don't really think that losing Cedric Benson will hurt them much, because they've got four of their five starters on the line coming back, and the line got Benson about 90% of those yards anyway. His backup averaged 10.5 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, the defense loses Derrick Johnson, but also returns nine starters. Honestly, for Oklahoma to beat Texas next year, I think Adrian Peterson has to run for 300 yards minimum. Not to say that won't happen, but if I ever thought Texas might beat Oklahoma, next year would be the time for it.

Meanwhile, Mike Hart's going to be awesome next year, and Henne will be a lot better too. The Wolverines should have the talent to finally break through in the Rose Bowl next year unless they get stuck going against a one-loss USC team or something.

Why is everyone giving Mack Brown so much credit for this one? Great game and Texas played wonderfully, but I feel like the most credit you can give him is for telling Young to run often today. Several of his big runs were on otherwise busted plays, and he made them happen with help from his offensive line. Brown got his team there and made some decent calls, but this was the Vince Young show whenever anything started to go wrong.

Why is everyone giving Mack Brown so much credit for this one? Great game and Texas played wonderfully, but I feel like the most credit you can give him is for telling Young to run often today. Several of his big runs were on otherwise busted plays, and he made them happen with help from his offensive line. Brown got his team there and made some decent calls, but this was the Vince Young show whenever anything started to go wrong.

It sounds more like everyone is saying Texas won in spite of Mack Brown.

Oh, I should have been clearer. I meant on post-game stuff and not on here. These boys know the score. I suppose it's bad form to not give credit to Brown in the media.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I saw some of this too and they seem to make a pretty good case for Oklahoma winning that game. You won't win a bowl game if you're getting sacked on every series.

My two cents on the Rose Bowl:

I'm not really into college football and haven't watched it for a few seasons so it was kind of odd to see a Rose Bowl that didn't feature a Pac 10 team agains t a Big Ten team. I didn't watch the whole game but Vince Young doesn't seem that special to me. Maybe he is at the college level but I can't see him doing the things that he does now at a professional level and I think that's why I have trouble getting into college football. Michael Vick was the only QB that I ever got to see play collegiate football and think that he would be able to run all over an NFL defense because he had enough speed. Most of the plays that I see where a player jukes 5 players and breaks 6 tackles are made by players who I can't see doing that in the pros. When Vince Young scored, it just made it look like he was playing against an incompetent defense with no speed.

Oh, I should have been clearer. I meant on post-game stuff and not on here. These boys know the score. I suppose it's bad form to not give credit to Brown in the media.

Well the boys on TV always credit the coaches if the team doesn't have a real distinctive player. For example, USC has Bush, Leinart, etc and OU has White, Peterson, etc. So it is easier for them to say "Wow USC won because of Bush!" or whatever. Texas... has Vince Young, who prior to the game was a blip on the radar. Has Cedric Benson who WAS a blip on the radar in the game. So they say the coach. Just my theory.

A lot of his runs were on busted plays. That was impressive. Especially the run he made where he was getting sacked and he just broke lose and took it in.

I'm still trying to figure out where the Texas D went in this game. Everyone thought that was what was going to win the game for Texas and the defense turned out to nearly kill them.

Both these teams should be very good next year, but Texas has 3 games that are going to be extremely tough to win: one being at Ohio State, another being the Red River Shootout, and the last being at Texas A&M.

Michigan's toughest game is probably at Iowa in October. They get Notre Dame and Ohio State in Ann Arbor, so if they can take care of business on the road next year, they have a great shot at the national championship.

Both these teams should be very good next year, but Texas has 3 games that are going to be extremely tough to win: one being at Ohio State, another being the Red River Shootout, and the last being at Texas A&M.

Michigan's toughest game is probably at Iowa in October. They get Notre Dame and Ohio State in Ann Arbor, so if they can take care of business on the road next year, they have a great shot at the national championship.

Texas has got to play at Ohio State? God damn they might(probably will) lose that game.

They're losing some good defensive players and Cedric Benson and Ohio State looks to be stacked.