TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

A's Firesale Continues

Guest TheDon

Bored you are a little late, I bet you to it. I just hope the mods will combine the two topics. My question for A's fans or anybody in the know is this. Is Zito next? What about Chavez? To think of how good this team would have been if they just kept everyone from the 2000 A's.

Zito is rumored to go to the Orioles or Dodgers. Chavez has six-year contract so they won't trade him. Likely all their arb eligible players will be dealt: Erubiel Durazo, Octavio Dotel, and Eric Byrnes.

My head is spinning right now.

Guest TheDon

You dont think Chavez is going to ask for a trade? If I were him I would be pissed. The guy signs a long term below market deal to stay with the A's while they get rid of every other All Star around him.

If they trade ALL of them, who in the hell is going to show up to As games next year?

Probably just a little more than have been showing up to Expo games the last few years. This is a Major League type of sabotage being done by owner Steve Schott. He wants them out of Oakland and he's going to get his wish. Who knows maybe they'll be contracted. Really I can't even get that emotional after being a fan for almost 20 years as I've prepared myself for this possibility for quite a while.

Guest Failed Mascot

I'm shocked personally. This came completely out of left field...still, Dan Haren is going to be very good. I believe Durazo will be moved as I said a week or so ago. If they offered Dotel arbitration then they'll just grab the picks for him.

The A's pitching rotation as of right now though is still pretty good.

Rich Harden

Barry Zito

Joe Blanton

Dan Haren

?

How long do you think before Billy Beane leaves in a huff and becomes GM of the Yanks?

I'm thinking 2007, he'll put up with the rebuilding for a bit and then just get tired of not being able to get the cheapest of free agents and leave.

I don't think the trade is bad at all for the Athletics. Mulder was useless in the second half anyway. They got a good haul in return. Dan Haren struck out nearly a batter an inning in the minor leagues, posted a better than 5:1 K/BB ratio, and boasts a career 1.22 minor league ERA. He's a good bet to be a good/great major league pitcher, at a small percentage of what they were paying Mulder. Kiko Calero pitched wonderfully wout of the pen last season, and Daric Barton is an insanely good catching prospect. Looking at Barton's OBP, it's surprising that Beane managed to stop drooling long enough to ask for Haren and Calero as well.

Thumbs up, and not just from a financial standpoint. This trade makes the Athletics better.

Thumbs up, and not just from a financial standpoint. This trade makes the Athletics better.

They've punted 2005 but it's made them better for the future...out of Oakland.

Really as a rationally thinking fan I know both of these trades could be great but from a fan who doesn't want to see his team gone in a couple of years these trades are horrible.

Guest Failed Mascot

So this means Zito is headed to an NL West team right? I mean Beane seems to be giving one of the big 3 to each NL Division at the moment.

Thumbs up, and not just from a financial standpoint.  This trade makes the Athletics better.

They've punted 2005 but it's made them better for the future...out of Oakland.

Really as a rationally thinking fan I know both of these trades could be great but from a fan who doesn't want to see his team gone in a couple of years these trades are horrible.

If they're going to move, they're going to move. I don't think any off-the-field shenanigans are going to make it less likely, save for a total collapse that makes Oakland an un-viable franchise. And if 1992-98 didn't do it, I don't think this is the death knell.

Another thing about Mulder. He hada 6.13 ERA after the All-Star break. If the A's could hang in with Mulder pitching like that, he shouldn't be missed. The A's still have Zito and Harden.

That's if the A's aren't contracted. Some what interesting the week contraction talk starts up again the A's start trading their name players.

At least I can look forward to Willie "Mays" Hayes and Pedro Cerano in A's uniforms next year.

Guest Failed Mascot

Everytime the A's win they'll slowly remove a strip covering the naked Billy Beane cardboard cut-out.

Chavez: “What the hell league you been playing in?”

New A's Player: “California penal.”

Chavez: “Never heard of it. How'd you end up playing there?”

New A's Player: "Pushed some guy into Mariano Rivera's pool"

New A's Player: "Pushed some guy into Mariano Rivera's pool"

New A's Player: "I stole Derek Jeter's glove and sold it on ebay."

New A's Player: "Gave some girl genital herpes"

NOW I know why the A's traded for Jason Kendall...he's going to win the A.L. West one game playoff over the Angels with a bunt!

Joe Morgan: "I told you the A's needed to manufacture runs to win".

New A's Player: "Took some steroids, drank beer in the dugout."

Chavez: “Ah. Well at any rate, welcome back.”

Come on Bored, don't be so down.

You acquired Keith Ginter from the Brewers so the future is getting bright for you!

And he only cost you two prospects.

I seriously think the A's are going to call Mitchell Freidmen and get Jack Morris on the phone to be Harris.

Eric Chavez: I play for the A's.

- Here in Oakland? I didn't know they still had a team.

Chavez: Yup, we've got uniforms and everything; it is great!

Jason Kendall: I'm hung over, my knees are killin' me and if you're going to pull this shit at least you could've said you were from the Yankees.

Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Billy Beane: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.

Steve Schott: Cross him off then.

Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

How about.....

Steve Schott: Slap a Milo on him.

Anyone who read Moneyball will understand that one.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

ok I'll play along

Arthur Rhodes: Hey! I'm right here!