TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tyler; Captain America

An ADVANCED!~ computer question

Okay, so I'm trying to play Star Wars: KOTOR on my computer and it's insisting that my video card driver isn't new enough. It says that it requires a Detonator 45.23 driver for all NVIDIA cards, even though it accepts my card as a valid card (the card I have being a NVIDIA Geforce4 440 Go running on a 1.6 ghz Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with 256 mb of RAM and every other requirement met).

The problem is that NVIDIA's website doesn't support the "GO" line of cards with their Detonator drivers, and the highest driver version that Dell is supplying for the Geforce4 440 Go is 42.50. How can I either a) customize (or even just run) a 45.23+ driver from the website or b) bypass the requirement to run the game anyways? This is, as you can imagine, quite frustrating as I don't particularly want to return the game.

Hope you can help, computer guru's. I'm quite computer literate and I can supply additional computer specs if needed.

Since they pretty much are the same card (more or less) you can try uninstalling your current drivers and see if it will load the newest Detonators... no guarantee that it will or it will be stable.

Make sure you have a copy of the drivers for your card handy just incase it decides to get mucked up and you have to do safe mode to uninstall.

I apologize for entering into your thread with no offered assistance, however, since I have a similar problem, I was hoping you might be able to help.

I recently acquired 'Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines' for Xmas and finished installing it last night. After creating my character and loading up the intro, the video and audio *really* lagged to the extent that the audio would skip like a badly scratched up cd. Once it skipped for a full minute and on the same damn syllable.

Eventually, I turned everything - gamma, particles, etc - to the bare minimum as well as unchecking bump mapping, high quality audio, and environmental effects audio. The vid now runs better, but when it gets to the Prince's speech, its the same problem; skipping and lagging. I have not yet heard one coherent word from the guy...its that bad.

After posting this on another forum, I was informed it was my video card:

vidcard.jpg

and that my 'video card is a TNT64 which wont be able to cope with Bloodlines high requirements.'

So my question to you is this: How would I upgrade it? I see from the Nvidia Drivers page that you can download software for the card. Is that the same as upgrading it? This is not my computer and I would appreciate any additional information before I click that 'Go/Download' button.