TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rising up out of the back seat-nuh

Your "band to watch in 2005"

I'm surprised. No one has mentioned Guns N' Roses. Axl's going to swoop in and save music once again. He'll be the savior for next year.

Based on one listen to Silent Alarm, Bloc Party does very little to set themselves apart from the 30-or-so bands that have the same sound. "Positive Tension" manages to be above-average (and "Luno" is decent, too), but mostly there's no difference between this band and FranzFerdinandTheKillersHotHotHeat ad infinitum. Hell, if Paul Banks faked a British accent, there'd be no telling apart Interpol and the Bloc Party song "Plans."

The Futureheads have a fairly good grasp on what came before them; they aren't original, sure, but they do what they do well without sounding too much like any one band from the late 70s (granted, XTC is the biggest reference point, what with the slight vocal similarities).

Bloc Party sounds like what a bunch of kids who totally got their minds blown by Turn On the Bright Lights would sound if they formed a band.*

*Even if that isn't the case—even if they are well-versed in music history and own every Wire seven-inch from 77-79 and an original vinyl pressing of the Pop Group's Y—nothing on Silent Alarm convinces me otherwise.

Gotta add a new one on Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party

http://www.rancidyak.com/

I still don't like it!

You're senile.

Though I haven't heard the album and therefore don't know what I'm talking about, but hey.

EDIT: Oh, and I wonder what Prince is going to be up to this year. I hope we're not in store for some sort of half-decade wait for another album.

Edited by 5_moves_of_doom

Prince puts out at least one album just about every year. I think he's missed maybe 3 or 4 in the entire 27 years he's been recording stuff. This was just the first decent poppy one he's done in some time, and the first in a while to have a huge tour supporting it.