TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

The Baroque cycle

Holy shit, it's already finished? I saw him speak for the first book like a year and a half ago, and haven't even finished it!

So, has anyone read this? Neal Stephenson has the potential to be one of the best sci-fi authors today, except he seems to have trouble writing endings to his books. (Diamond Age being a perfect example of a genius book that just completely deflates in the 3rd act). Is the series worth diving into? I've got too many books to read.

I have nothing to add except that I plan on reading these books one day.

But I need to set aside about six months to do so, because, while I like Stephenson and I think he's a quality writer, the guy can't seem to wrap up a novel unless it's past the 1,000 page mark.

It's funny, Cryptonomicon was his first really long book, and one of his only books that seemed not to fall apart in the end. Now all the Baroque ccle books are really long. It seems it takes him a long book to wrap something up properly (of course I'm giving the baroque cycle the benefit of the doubt.)

I read the Baroque Cycle.

I REALLY liked the stories. I admit it got a leeettle far fetched at the end, but it was truely enjoyable the entire way through.