TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steviekick

Comic commercials on TV?!?

from newsarama.com

--------------------------

MARVEL READIES TELEVISION COMMERCIAL FOR FF COMIC

For the first time since the early ‘80s, there will soon be commercials for Marvel Comics on television. The program, which is small, and in its initial phases, will be part of the build-up to the Fantastic Four movie.

As with the last time Marvel Comics appeared in television spots (GI Joe commercials, circa 1983) the new spot will be a hybrid toy/comic ad, featuring a Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four (the publisher's renamed all-ages "Marvel Age" line) comic as well as a Toy Biz toy.

As Marvel’s Manager, Sales and Marketing David Gabriel told retailers via a recent interview in Diamond Dateline:

“There will be a new Marvel Adventures title closely related to upcoming blockbuster Fantastic Four film, due in theaters next summer. This title will be aggressively targeted as part of a multi-million dollar ad campaign for ToyBiz, which will, for the first time, showcase the Marvel Adventures comics as part of a nationally televised 60-second commercial spot. Last time this happened the result was Marvel's hugely successful G.I. Joe comic.”

While it is true that comic book distribution was more robust in the early ‘80s than it is now, only Marvel (and to a much smaller extent Malibu) ever really pursued television commercials as a means to reach potential customers. With this advertising campaign (albeit tied to a movie), Marvel becomes the second major US comic book publisher to try television in as many years – last May, Tokyopop debuted a series of commercials specifically for their graphic novels on a variety of cable channels viewed by its demographic.

The ad featuring Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four is slated to begin in May, and will air nationwide. Marvel did not disclose specifics of which channels and cable outlets will run the ad, but told Newsarama that more information will be made available soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's a good idea, but it seems that so much of the comic book reading market isn't the youngsters who would be reading the Marvel Adventures line. I don't know on this one....

Its just an experiment anyways, Hopefully it pays off, I would love to see another huge comics boom, maybe then the prices will go down...then again with my luck they will go up again.

There's a chance the buzz the commericals create might reinvigorate the industry for all publishers.

But somehow I doubt it.