TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banter

Sammy Sosa Traded to Baltimore

Guest OSIcon
Just because he was the only good reliever in an awful bullpen* does not make him any more suited for a job than LaTroy Hawkins.

I'd say Julio was one of the worst members of the Orioles bullpen last year. The bullpen was way over worked because of the sorry starting rotation, but there were a couple of stretches last year where the bullpen would pitch 4+ innings several days in a row and do a really good job. Ryan was a huge part of that of course, but the bullpen wasn't so bad that fucking Jorge Julio was the second best reliever.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

rumor has it the Cubs are closing on a deal with Burnitz.

muhaha.

So Al, thoughts on the trade? I don't think I've seen a full analysis of the deal from you, although it'd be tough to do without full knowledge of all the players involved.

I can't really do a full analysis until I see what the Cubs turn around and do in right field. From the Orioles' perspective, I like it. They get Sosa for just $7 million this season, and only give up a couple of B prospects, and Jerry Hairston, who was at a positional logjam anyway.

He's available, but ESPN was reporting that the Tigers were foolishly offering him $55m over 5 years. Several teams were considering him for an incentive-laden one-year deal, but that doesn't seem likely anymore. The Orioles were apparently scared off by his left knee, which makes a mutliyear deal seem especioally risky.

As for the Sosa deal, they're getting a guy who would have hit 45 or so homers in a full season last year, and they're getting him for less than half his actual contract. The minor-leaguers they're giving up don't matter much, and Hairston -- while he's come on strong the past couple years -- was definitely caught in a logjam at several positions. If Sosa isn't too much of a malcontent, this is a good deal for the O's. If he's a bitchy crybaby, then it's not.

If Sosa isn't too much of a malcontent, this is a good deal for the O's. If he's a bitchy crybaby, then it's not.

Just hope he doesn't "volunteer" to bat sixth. I hear that's how trouble starts.

That won't be a problem - he'll be able to slide into the cleanup role that he loves, batting after Roberts, Mora, and Tejada. Nobody else on the O's (unless Palmeiro makes a huge comeback) really fits that hole in the lineup.