TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

HTQ's Classic Japan Match #2

Bunch of fun spots, the Oklastampeed w. Owen holding on, Bammers standing suplex, Benoit and Owen trading germans, Owen taking two sick backdrops, Williams throwing better chops than Benoit :) , Owens dropkicks, and some nice whacky transitions. I love me some Steve Williams, that out-of-nowhere backdrop spot was fantastic. Him coming in hot, putting Owen in the corner for some chops, and then throwing him down for a headscissors, and then picking him up after and whipping him towards the ropes was wonderfully random.

It's kinda odd watching Benoit work the same moves 'bout 15 years ago as he does today, just without the WWE formula and of course his approach is different. He's varying it up now throwing in a lil MMA spots which is cool and I hope he evolves more towards that way and works it around his traditional spots.

For what its worth and I'm not 100% sure but I think Owen's active if not only year in NJ was 88 and Williams as I remember left in 89 for AJ. So the match must be from somewhere in 88.

Thanks for the match once again, it only makes me want to pull out the AJ/NJ oldies and watch them until I pass out.

Guest Loss

Early 1990 maybe? When did Benoit start with NJ? I know Meltzer didn't start talking about him until '90, and I've never heard of him having any matches in '89.

Guest Ray

I believe the TV date for the match is 7/8/90.

6/30/90? is the taping date.

Benoit started wrestling in Japan in 1987.

Guest wildpegasus

Benoit's first match in Japan was against Funaki who would later wrestle in Pancrase. Very early 1987. I know of a few Benoit matches he had in 1987 New Japan but for the most part I think he was still training in the dojo. No footage that I know of has appeared of his matches from that time although I could see a match or two showing up some day. Benoit went under the name "Dynamite" Chris Benoit.

However, you can see footage of Benoit ringside watching one of the Takada/Koshinaka matches. I forget which match it was.

Benoit than went back to Japan on FEB/10/1990 and debuted under the mask as "Pegasus Kid" in a tag match of Pegasus Kid/Sano vs Lyger/Nogami on the joint All Japan/New Japan show.

Guest Ray
I know of a few Benoit matches he had in 1987 New Japan but for the most part I think he was still training in the dojo. No footage that I know of has appeared of his matches from that time although I could see a match or two showing up some day.

It would be a dream come true, for me, if a tape existed with some of those matches. Especially something like this -

Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki vs Chris Benoit & Keiichi Yamada - NJPW Event, November 9 - Tokyo, Japan

Guest Coffey

It seemed like the whole match was building towards Bam Bam & Dr. Death squaring off in the ring...but we never got the payoff.

Both men broke up pinfalls and stared one another down for example.

Guest TigerDriver91
I believe the TV date for the match is 7/8/90.

6/30/90? is the taping date.

Benoit started wrestling in Japan in 1987.

Thanks, Ray.

NJPW 2/5/87

Tatsutoshi Goto/Naoki Sano vs. Chris Benoit/Shinya Hashimoto

NJPW 8/2/87

Kensuke Sasaki vs. Chris Benoit

Guest Pariah
It seemed like the whole match was building towards Bam Bam & Dr. Death squaring off in the ring...but we never got the payoff.

Both men broke up pinfalls and stared one another down for example.

Great match, that twelve minutes just flew by

But on the Bam Bam/Williams point. If you watch the finish again you can see Bam Bam point at Williams as if to say 'you should of broken that up'. I'm not sure if its true but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the intended finish.