TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edmond Dantes

Zab Judah defeats Cory Spinks

Guest Edmond Dantes
ST. LOUIS (AP) - Zab Judah spoiled Cory Spinks' homecoming. Judah claimed the undisputed welterweight title Saturday night, beating Spinks with a ninth-round technical knockout and silencing a mostly partisan sellout crowd. "I was hungry, I was determined," said Judah, of Brooklyn. "It's my time, it's my era."

Judah lost a unanimous decision to Spinks in April in Las Vegas. He knocked Spinks down in the 12th round of that fight and referred to the rematch as the 13th round, saying he simply ran out of time.

Judah was the aggressor throughout this fight, neutralizing the crowd of more than 20,000 that chanted for Spinks, the son of former heavyweight champion Leon Spinks, who accompanied his son into the ring.

Spinks got the star treatment during introductions, with rapper Nelly accompanying him into the ring and leading the crowd in a singalong. Before Saturday, Spinks had twice successfully defended the title.

On Friday, Judah said he thought fighting in St. Louis would be an advantage for him and not Spinks because of the potential distractions.

"I'm very disappointed," Spinks said. "I let a lot of people down, but I have to hold my head up. I have to take this like a man."

The fight was stopped at 2:49 of the ninth round, after Spinks was knocked down for the second time by a big Judah left hand. Judah pressed the attack after the first knockdown and avoided Spinks' desperate efforts to tie him up.

Spinks said he had been "groggy" and his corner didn't agree with the decision to stop the fight.

"I had no problem, I was going up the steps to stop it myself," said Kevin Cunningham, Spinks' trainer and manager. "This just wasn't Cory's night."

All three judges had Judah (33-2, 24 knockouts) comfortably ahead when the bout was stopped.

Judah's victory was his third in a row since that April loss to Spinks in Las Vegas, and it paves the way for a deciding third bout, presumably in New York, because Judah is from Brooklyn. Both fighters said they would be interested.

"Oh yeah, I want to fight him again," Spinks said. "This was a good fight. I gave him a chance and I hope he gives me one in return."

The fight was the first major bout in St. Louis in more than 40 years, and it was a sellout, helped by Spinks' large following.

But Judah set the tone from the first round, stalking Spinks while the champion mostly danced. He also staggered Spinks, dropping him to his knees at the bell in the seventh round, but it was not judged a knockdown.

Spinks (34-3, 11 knockouts), sensing he needed a big finish, had a strong start to the ninth round and connected with a big left about 40 seconds in and then followed with a nice right and a combination.

None of it affected Judah, who knocked down Spinks for the first time with about 50 seconds left in the round.

"Spinks did exactly what I thought he'd do," Judah said. "He was running from my left hand, which made him pull back and let me take it to his body."

Judah's 100% correct in saying that this rematch was basically the 13th round of their April 10th encounter (the same night unknown Lamon Brewster outlasted Wladimir Klitchko). Had that fight went one more round, Zab would've finished Spinks off, more than likely by KO like tonight. Unfortunately, Spinks was too far ahead on points for Zab's last few strong rounds and his knockdown of Spinks in the 12th to matter. This sets up a "rubber match" somewhere down the line since both men have won one fight apiece. The question is: what St. Louis rapper can Spinks have accompany him to the ring this third time since I've already seen him use J-Kwon and tonight, Nelly? I know! CHINGY! Homo.

Spinks should have never beaten Ricardo Mayorga for the Welterweight title in the first place (in December 2003). I wish Mayorga hadn't moved up in weight, lost to a returning Felix Trinidad and retired due to some pressing legal matters. Then he could have beaten Spinks for my pleasure a long time ago. But for tonight, I'm happy. Zab's a good fighter who deserves it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, I had it picked in the sixth, but got the same result. If Spinks had some real mustard behind his punches, and was more solid, he'd be very dangerous, because he's a gifted counterpuncher and knows how to work the jab. Judah's just tougher, and needed time to break Spinks' rhythm. Good fight, though.

Guest Edmond Dantes

Spinks is a slippery fighter but you're right about his lack of punching power. I think his record of only 11 knockouts in 34 fights speaks for itself.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Zab only recieved 100K for the fight, so we know it wasn't for the money.

Glad to see Zab finally get what he deserves. Now that he's the champ, where does he go from here? Mosley? De La Hoya?

Zab reclaimed his spot with the revenge fight. Spinks was clamouring for a 3rd fight but after this fight and the fact that Judah, was on the brink of KOing Spinks in the first fight, I don't think Judah has anything more to prove against Spinks, and I feel he should move on.

Judah is faster & far more skilled than Mayorga, and fought one of the most disciplined fight of his career. To say Ricarardo should've beaten Cory is a beat ridiculous.

Zab could have some more success at 147, but he should stay far away from guys like DLH & Mosley, against either of whom a replay of the "Baby Giraffe Dance" would be the likely outcome.