TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

When did WCW hit The Point Of No Return ?

Guest Trivia247

Don't forget Frequent Angle Abortions that could have triggered right to Life groups getting involved

Guest LooneyTune
Titles changing on an estimated every 2 weeks.

That's also one of the reason why the Invasion failed.

I meant the World Title, which changed hands around 15 times in 1999 alone. Add in the other titles, and a title change happend every 30 minutes probably. In, the title changed even more times.

More accurately, every 3 weeks, not 2, I goofed up a bit.

Yea true, Jeff Jarrett winning the world title 4 times in one month was scary.

The original plan was for Jarrett to get more world title reigns than Flair. Thank god that never happened.

I think one thing killed it, and The Death of WCW itself names it: When the network decided to drop wrestling. I don't think the quality of the product had anything to do with it. To execs, it was all the same thing...there was no such thing as quality...it's rasslin, after all.

The point of no return was reached after the coming of shadows known as a figurative sale sign being put up outside the equally figurative house. The signs and portents were there, such as their biggest supporter in the TW structure, Ted Turner, fading into the background.

WCW did so many fucking things wrong from 1998-2000 it's hard to point out to one thing.

1. The Fingerpoke of Doom

2. Cutting Goldbergs nuts off (not literally) at Starrcade 98

3. Pointless heel/face turns every week

4. Titles changing on an estimated every 2 weeks.

5. Jeff Jarrett; World Champion

6. nWo revival #496,988

The list goes on and on.

How the fuck could you forget the biggest travesty in WCW history?

Let me show you a photo:

therealdeathofwcw1tz.jpg

There is nothing worse than that.

Nothing.

Not even the fingerpoke of doom.

Guest LooneyTune
How the fuck could you forget the biggest travesty in WCW history?

Let me show you a photo:

therealdeathofwcw1tz.jpg

:throwup: I still see it when I close my eyes.

The fingerpoke was what started the downward spiral (some would say Starrcade 97, but WCW actually managed to survive that thanks to Goldberg), but it wasn't the point of no return. I also felt that they could have saved themselves as a company for awhile. They were going through a bad period, but they could rebound. What finally killed them was the departure of the Radicalz. WCW had just lost Bret Hart, who never would be able to return, and then to lose the top three wrestlers in the company and a good midcarder in Perry Saturn, one of which was the WCW Champion, meant there was no saving it. In the eyes of most people, the situation was so bad for WCW that possibly the most respected veteran in the industry passed on the World Title, which he had never come close to getting before, in order to jump to the competition. It also was the first week of the new managerial regime following Russo's firing. It absolutely killed WCW's credibility, and they never could recover. Losing Guerrero, Saturn & Malenko was bad enough, but they could never have afforded to lose Benoit. When they did besides the damage to WCW's reputation, it completely decimated the card of its wrestling talent. Jeff Jarrett was probably the best technical wrestler remaining on the roster after the splitup, and a high profile wrestling company cannot survive like that.

They did a lot of bad things to get them to that point, but that was where I felt the cancer had spread too much.

A few weeks after Spring Stampede 2000, when it was clear that te New Blood vs. Millionaires' Club angle had ALREADY been dropped. I liked SStampede 2000 and I watched WCW TV for a few weeks after that, but once New Blood guys fought each other and the MClub became less of a unified force, I lost interest because they were falling back into the same old crap angles.