TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Top 50 Phillies

Ranked by career win shares, with the Phillies only.

1. Schmidt, Mike

2. Delahanty, Ed

3. Ashburn, Richie

4. Carlton, Steve

5. Magee, Sherry

6. Roberts, Robin

7. Alexander, Pete

8. Thomas, Roy

9. Ennis, Del

10. Allen, Dick

11. Callison, Johnny

12. Abreu, Bobby

13. Cravath, Gavy

14. Klein, Chuck

15. Luzinski, Greg

16. Titus, John

17. Williams, Cy

18. Thompson, Sam

19. Hamilton, Billy

20. Jones, Willie

21. Hayes, Von

22. Luderus, Fred

23. Daulton, Darren

24. Bowa, Larry

25. Maddox, Garry

26. Taylor, Tony

27. Gonzalez, Tony

28. Hamner, Granny

29. Short, Chris

30. Clements, Jack

31. Rolen, Scott

32. Paskert, Dode

33. Dykstra, Lenny

34. Doolan, Mickey

35. Schilling, Curt

36. Simmons, Curt

37. Orth, Al

38. Bunning, Jim

39. Whitney, Pinky

40. Boone, Bob

41. Samuel, Juan

42. Seminick, Andy

43. Kruk, John

44. Lieberthal, Mike

45. Lopata, Stan

46. Rixey, Eppa

47. Sparks, Tully

48. Knabe, Otto

49. Hallman, Bill

50. Taylor, Jack

Some odd names here. Del Ennis isn't usually mentioned in the realm of legendary Phillies, but he's a worthy player. A 20 win share season will push Abreu into the 9th spot on the list. Mike Schmidt leads all Phillies with 467 win shares. The second place Phillie, Ed Delahanty, is closer to Granny Hamner than he is to Schmidt. The All-Time Phillies Lineup....

C- Darren Daulton

1B- Fred Luderus

2B- Tony Taylor

SS- Larry Bowa

3B- Mike Schmidt

LF- Ed Delahanty

CF- Richie Ashburn

RF- Johnny Callison

SP- Steve Carlton

SP- Robin Roberts

SP- Pete Alexander

SP- Chris Short

SP- Curt Schilling/Curt Simmons (tie)

RP- Ron Reed

Not exactly world beaters, but the Phillies do have three Hall of Famers in their rotation.

Good list. Though I think ol' Mr. 5-4-1 is a bit high at #21.

If you're referring to double plays, Hayes never hit into more than 14 a season. Hayes' high placement is a little puzzling. He is in the top 25 for games played, at bats, runs, hits, etc. He is seventh on the Phillies' all time walk list, so that helps. I think its just a matter of Hayes being a good player for a long time.

If you're referring to double plays, Hayes never hit into more than 14 a season. Hayes' high placement is a little puzzling. He is in the top 25 for games played, at bats, runs, hits, etc. He is seventh on the Phillies' all time walk list, so that helps. I think its just a matter of Hayes being a good player for a long time.

You remember Pete Rose's old joke about Von Hayes?

"They ought to give him the number 541....get it?"

I'm referring to the infamous trade, 5 players for Hayes. Never mnd the fact that only one of them turned out to be anything decent(I'm thinking it was Ruben Sierra, but I could be wrong...)

You remember Pete Rose's old joke about Von Hayes?

"They ought to give him the number 541....get it?"

I'm referring to the infamous trade, 5 players for Hayes. Never mnd the fact that only one of them turned out to be anything decent(I'm thinking it was Ruben Sierra, but I could be wrong...)

I had never heard that before. Of course, it sure beats being called "Mr. Slugs a whopping .286 over a full season, yet we till won the NL Pennant." (Seriously, how did Rose play three more years after that dreadful performance?)

According to Retrosheet, Hayes was acquired for Julio Franco, George Vukovich, Jerry Willard, Jay Baller, and Manny Trillo. Hayes went on to earn 158 win shares for the Phillies. Franco earned 99 win shares for the Cleveland Indians. Vukovich earned 24 for the Cleveland Indians before retiring. Trillo earned six win shares for the Indians before they shipped him to Montreal. He earned 38 total the rest of his career. Jerry Willard earned 23 win shares his entire career, 16 with the Indians. Jay Baller earned five his entire career, none with the Indians. So the Phillies got 140 win shares from the trade, while the Indians got just 145. When you take into consideration that the non-Franco players were easily replaceable, its a push. Von Hayes was a player of at least equal quality to Franco.

The problem, of course, is that the Phillies then spent five years playing Steve Jeltz at shortstop. They could've replaced him, but they made a stupid pact with other owners not to sign free agents from 1985-87.

Does anyone know where you can find career Win Shares for MLB Players?

Nowhere online has them as far as I know. In print, you can find historical data in Win Shares and Total Baseball, and Win Shares for current players are available in the Bill James Handbook.

Just to sort this up a little, the 25 best Phillies, based on their five year peaks...

1. Alexander, Pete

2. Schmidt, Mike

3. Allen, Dick

4. Delahanty, Ed

5. Roberts, Robin

6. Abreu, Bobby

7. Cravath, Gavy

8. Ferguson, Charlie

9. Magee, Sherry

10. Klein, Chuck

11. Hamilton, Billy

12. Ashburn, Richie

13. Callison, Johnny

14. Thomas, Roy

15. Luzinski, Greg

16. Rolen, Scott

17. Titus, John

18. Ennis, Del

19. Thompson, Sam

20. Dykstra, Lenny

21. Carlton, Steve

22. Hayes, Von

23. Daulton, Darren

24. Bunning, Jim

25. Kruk, John

Carlton's low rating is odd. Abreu rates at number six, meaning only three Phillies position players have ever been better at their peaks.

I'll be honest, I don't understand win shares at all, but there is no way that only 3 Phillies position players have been better at their peaks.

I miss the days where you could just watch games and bitch about how bad Phils management was, now I feel like everything about baseball is computers and steroids.

I'll be honest, I don't understand win shares at all, but there is no way that only 3 Phillies position players have been better at their peaks.

You don't need win shares to see it, quite honestly. Abreu's .412 OBP rates 30th all time, and Abreu is 62nd all time in slugging percentage, and 39th all time in OPS. On top of that, he hits over .300, and steals around 30 bases a season. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find many Phillies to match that. And remember, this is not a franchise with a history of producing star hitters.