TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Strangest crowd reaction ever

ECW fans went apeshit over 911 and Johnny Grunge. What's so odd about them doing the same for Sid?

I remember Mick Foley talked about how the ECW fans acted like they hated the WWF in '95 and '96 for being a cartoon. But if the Undertaker ever showed up at ECW Arena, the fans would have marked out like it was the greatest day of their lives.

I'm not talking about sheep-like tendancies, (i.e. cheering for the Bushwackers) or certain cities acting "smarkish" (i.e. Philly in ECW's heyday) I mean just doing things that totally surprised you

Actually one that really had me shaking my head was Royal Rumble 2000, before Kurt Angle's match at MSG he ran down Patrick Ewing and the crowd lustly booed him.  That had me wondering how many of those fans actually KNEW anything about the Knicks and the Patrick Ewing era as Ewing was hated by the time he left for never winning a championship.  In other words, had the crowd been full of Knick fans, Angle would have been cheered for those comments!

Steve

Bob answered it already, but you do know how NBA fans (or sports in general) are, right?

For Example...

Karl Malone is still loved in Utah, despite leaving for the Lakers.

Reggie Miller sure as hell is still loved in Indiana despite retiring after this year without winning a championship.

Fans respect their teams history (usually), and for them to boo a legend who helped carry their team for years would be an insult.

Despite Miller, Ewing, and Malone playing on different teams around the country and different roles of the team, all share the same thing: respect from the fans, and sometimes that is more important than a championship (except for obsessed fans who want to WIN WIN WIN all the time).

On that note, Go Bobcats! Okafor for ROTY! (waves flag)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic, any time WWE goes to Toronto. Sometimes its a good thing, sometimes bad. See Wrestlemania X-8 (set up Rocks heel run; Hogans babyface run; HHH no reaction) or Summerslam 2004 (everything shat on except for a few over heels).

Problem is Ewing does NOT have that respect from New York fans and media. I don't know about Reggie, but Malone had a public perception of being a nice guy. Ewing was sullen, moody, and very tough to like.

So when it seemed that the Knicks could improve by moving the guy, especially when he wouldn't "change his game" to make the team better, fans and media applauded getting rid of him

I'm not talking about sheep-like tendancies, (i.e. cheering for the Bushwackers) or certain cities acting "smarkish" (i.e. Philly in ECW's heyday) I mean just doing things that totally surprised you

Actually one that really had me shaking my head was Royal Rumble 2000, before Kurt Angle's match at MSG he ran down Patrick Ewing and the crowd lustly booed him.  That had me wondering how many of those fans actually KNEW anything about the Knicks and the Patrick Ewing era as Ewing was hated by the time he left for never winning a championship.  In other words, had the crowd been full of Knick fans, Angle would have been cheered for those comments!

Steve

Ewing wasn't hated by the time he was left. I know a lot of people, myself included, were very pissed about the trade. It was just a smear campaign by the media and Knicks management- the fans still loved Patrick.

And Ewing was still on the Knicks in Jan 2000. He was traded in Sept 2000

Not to turn this into a Patrick Ewing debate, but Ewing DID have a hand in getting himself run out of town by being completly resistant to changing his game

And by the way, most fans at Knick games during the late Ewing years and today are corporate clients who wouldn't know George Mikan from George Gervin by the way! This is the same crowd that on Ewing's night gave Michael Jordan a standing O. MICHAEL JORDAN. Okay, so lets not go by the reaction at the Garden

The media and the fans calling up sports talk shows couldn't wait to "start over" of course they didn't think the Dolan mis-mangement would completely sink the franchise in the ensuing years, but the point is pretty much Kurt Angle was making a "shoot comment that wasn't meant to be a shoot comment" and anyone who was a Knick fan at the time would be saying "Hey he's right about something!"

Steve

Dude, no Knicks fan with an operating brain was happy about moving Patrick Ewing for GLENN RICE!!!! Are you fucking kidding me? That is one of the worst trades in the history of New York sports, NOTHING about it made sense. The Knicks didn't even NEED Rice, they already had Spree and Houston on the perimiter, and you could NOT, under any circumstances play the three of them at the same time.

People called WFAN and complained about Ewing because that's what people who call sports shows do, they bitch. Ewing was the en vogue target that summer. Then as soon as the trade went down...people called in bitching about it. That's just the way it goes.

Yeah, Ewing had a lot of pride and didn't want to take a lesser role, and he pushed himself out the door just as much as anyone. But don't confuse the issue. Knicks fan may have thought Ewing was on the decline, and they were right, some may have wanted to trade him (I didn't, but some did), and they had a legitimate argument, but nobody hated the guy because he couldn't win a championship. NOBODY could win a championship when Jordan was playing, and the game 7 loss to Houston in 94 is right on the heads of John Starks and Pat Riley, not Patrick Ewing. To suggest that Knicks fans should have cheered Angle dissing him is absurd, there was nothing strange about the way they reacted. He wasn't just dissing Ewing, he was dissing every player who suited up for the Knicks when Ewing was their center, and he got the reaction he was looking for.

Guest LooneyTune

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong: Patrick Ewing wanted a multi-year contract, while he was only offered a 1-season contract. That's really pushing himself out of the door. When New York wouldn't agree to those terms, they shipped him off to Seattle in a three-team deal.

I recall seeing a game on ESPN where NYK retired his number (I'm really trying to think here... was it against Orlando or Miami?) and the crowd absolutely loved him... in MSG. Now, either someone is B.S.ing, or is trying to prevent having to say they're wrong.

Also, people who call into those shows are just people who want to hear themselves bitch. Especially those obsessed NY fans who complain about EVERYTHING despite having good-great teams in every sport usually.

Wrong folder. Can we get back on topic?

"Maven Swallows" was not something I expected to ever hear as a chant. Anyone know what were they chanting at him at NYR?

My favorite was a couple of weeks after the HHH-necrophilia angle, HHH and Jericho were wrestling Booker and Kane. During a slow spot in the match, a group of fans suddenly started chanting: "Katie Vick! Katie Vick!" It had to be the oddest chant I've ever heard in wrestling.

Guest curry_man2002

The canned noise on smackdown (fans sitting on hands no mouths are open but some how the crowd is popping).

Not really a "crowd" reaction, but at a Smackdown before Coach turned heel, (you know, when he wasn't funny), Coach was in the ring talking about something or other, (this wasn't part of show and it didn't air), but two guys who hated Coach shouted this at him...

Guy#1: "Hey, Coach..."

*Coach looks over*

Guy#2: "...eat SHIT!"

The look on Coach's face was priceless.

Asshole, now everyone in the college library is staring at me.

It wasn't too surprising, but it was a bit strange to hear crowds calling Lita a slut during that pregnancy angle when she was suppose to be the the sympathetic babyface.

Didn't they do that with Stephanie McMahon when she was still a "pure girl next door" babyface when she was describing how HHH and D-X pretty much raped her after the "wedding"

I think the crowd also did that when Steph was describing how Undertaker treated her during the "Black Wedding" arc

Maybe THATS why she turned her character heel! No one thought she was pulling off the "sweet innocent girl next door" act

Steve

;)

Guest MikeSC
ECW fans went apeshit over 911 and Johnny Grunge. What's so odd about them doing the same for Sid?

I remember Mick Foley talked about how the ECW fans acted like they hated the WWF in '95 and '96 for being a cartoon. But if the Undertaker ever showed up at ECW Arena, the fans would have marked out like it was the greatest day of their lives.

They popped like mad for Sid. Let's not forget that.

ECW fans were not smarks. They were some of the biggest "marks" out there.

-=Mike

Guest Mindless_Aggression

ECW fans somehow managed to be dumber than any WWF or WCW fan could ever be. When Vince tried to force something on his crowds (say, babyface Rock) they had no problem shitting on it. If Paul Heyman was forcing something on his audience though...the guy was having his name chanted by weeks end regardless of how bad he may have been. Sid, Kronus, Public Enemy and so on and so forth are the best examples of this. I'd include New Jack, but I'm convinced New Jack could probably get himself over anywhere.

This isn't so much strange as it was funny...

I think it was late '96 or early '97, but my memory is hazy. It was an episode of RAW, and HBK and Bret Hart (IIRC) were having an argument over who should get the next shot at the title...I think Sid was champion. Anyway, Undertaker's music starts playing and the crowd goes nuts as Undertaker makes his way to the ring. Someone in the crowd audibly yells "YOU'RE GONNA GET IT NOW!" at the guys in the ring. I don't know why, but I thought that was awesome at the time.

Stephanie McMahon getting a huge pop saying she was posing for Playboy and then getting booed mercifully when she said it wasn't her. I talked to a guy that was there live and he couldn't believe the pop when she teased she was posing nude

Not really a "crowd" reaction, but at a Smackdown before Coach turned heel, (you know, when he wasn't funny), Coach was in the ring talking about something or other, (this wasn't part of show and it didn't air), but two guys who hated Coach shouted this at him...

Guy#1: "Hey, Coach..."

*Coach looks over*

Guy#2: "...eat SHIT!"

The look on Coach's face was priceless.

Asshole, now everyone in the college library is staring at me.

So you like Leia Organa. Check out THIS pic, supposedly from her liason with Prince Xizor...

Leia lookin' oh so nice...

Guest Fook
Stephanie McMahon getting a huge pop saying she was posing for Playboy and then getting booed mercifully when she said it wasn't her. I talked to a guy that was there live and he couldn't believe the pop when she teased she was posing nude

That's not really a strange reaction though. There are tonnes of people (me included) who would love a Steph playboy spread.

Stephanie McMahon getting a huge pop saying she was posing for Playboy and then getting booed mercifully when she said it wasn't her.  I talked to a guy that was there live and he couldn't believe the pop when she teased she was posing nude

That's not really a strange reaction though. There are tonnes of people (me included) who would love a Steph playboy spread.

oh yeah, Steph still looked good at that point, it's just that she got a bigger pop than Torrie.

99-early 2003 Steph is off the charts hot.