TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Orton vs. Undertaker at WrestleMania?

Guest The Decadent Slacker

I only ever thought one guy should end Taker's streak: Cactus Jack.

Course that was a few years ago.

If Undertaker feels that strongly about not wanting to lose to Orton, he won't.

I hope your right.

Well if management insists, he can always pull the old "physically threaten the guy who won't job"..... err, actually no he can't.

If they have any result but Undertaker winning, it'll be a crowd killer. Orton isn't ready to get this kind of win; he doesn't have the credibility for it. If Orton beats Undertaker, he'll have X-Pac Heat.

Out of curiousity, which WWE superstar would be most suited to the job of ending UT's Wrestlemania streak? Who could benefit the most from it without getting this 'X-pac heat'?

One wonders if this is the greatest possible rub WWE can give to a young star.

It's hard to say who is the most suited, because, right now, there isn't anyone who the casual fans, or even smart fans, would buy as being the one to end the streak. I think what they need to do is set WM XXII as the date for ending the streak, and keep an eye out for someone who they think can be a major breakout star, and probably around SummerSlam begin a very slow build to Undertaker v Wrestler X. At that point, Wrestler X needs to be protected by doing as few jobs as possible, and certainly no submission jobs. He cannot do any slapstick comedy, or anything lame and geeky. Most importantly of all, he cannot look weak in any way, shape or form. A little vulnerability is ok here and there, but he must never look weak or stupid, or like he got outsmarted. He has to be kept totally serious, because that is the only type of persona that anyone can buy as being the one to end the streak. Once we get into 2006, he does no jobs, period. He has to be kept strong enough to be believable as a threat to Undertaker, and that means no losses. Once we hit the Rumble, they can begin the proper build-up to Undertaker v Wrestler X, with it culmination at WM XXII, and the wrestler in question getting the big win, which should, in theory, herald his rocket ride to superstardom

Undertaker's streak has to end, for the good of the business. It's just that simple. It is the only real rub left to give, and it has to get given at some point, in order to make a new star.

Re: Hunter v Undertaker at WM X-7. Undertaker was always going to win. Shawn was meant to cost Hunter the match, to set up their singles match at Backlash. It was also very smart for Hunter to do a clean job to Undertaker, because he it was clean job at the biggest WM of all time at that point, and he did it to someone already at his level, so he didn't elevate anyone.

Guest Trivia247
Undertaker's streak has to end, for the good of the business. It's just that simple. It is the only real rub left to give, and it has to get given at some point, in order to make a new star.

Its the only rub left?

So beating HHH who had the title belt biochemically bonded to his shoulder isn't much of a rub compared?

it was already suggested that whomever does beat Taker, his Fabulous RUB that just grants him to be the Master of the Ring....would end swiftly Once HHH swoops in and destroys whomever defeated Taker.

lets not over dramatize the sitaution of Taker's streak. its the only thing he has that is sacred to his character. they ping pong the personality traits gone from Dead man to Human man to Ghostrider to Dead man again, he gone from Face to Heel to face to heel back and forth, he been world champion, tag team Hardcore, and majority of the time content just to be the Monster people fear but usually don't put titles up against. The Streak is the one thing that is constant of the Undertaker character. destroying it serves nothing but make the taker haters smile. beating him will do nothing since the WWE isn't the type of organization that really marks such occassions anymore. once the promotion of traditions and long Memory, its not a Company possessed with A.D.D. Those who do Defeat Taker in big Match situations aren't cemented a perminant protected Push program for the rest of his career.

Besides Beating the Taker at WM even when you want so desperately to put the 11 or 12 and 1 in his record The Taker would Reply to the Loss at the next PPV and Squash the person.

SCSA is the only character that could beat the Undertaker and not have the feud spill over a few more months.

This business needs alot of things, Proclaiming that the Good of the Company Needs the Undertaker to lose at mania is down right silly.

So as to not be percieved as Blind or a Taker Mark soo much as I am. I will suggest one way that it might go down..

The Undertaker turns Heel and becomes Champion, and I mean becomes the Most dominant Champion there is. Be it Raw or Smackdown, or both. he gives us one full year of what he can do as the top person as contender one after another goes up and down at each PPV. Then someone Pops up either a Ringer (alla a Brock lesnar after he mends the fences with the WWE, or someone else) Or even someone from another Brand (A popular choice these past two years) make the challenge. Like you said this person got to be Steel and Serious. At the Match both men Give us...Everything! No Squash from either side. and when the Undertaker goes down, he goes down because his body just can't rise before the three count. Then......in your moment where all Taker Haters Cream and go ding dong the Deadman is Dead. The Undertaker AS he has done in Summerslam 98, snatches the belt...and Like the man he Hands it over passing the belt the torch and the very essence of what made the Undertaker Undertaker to his opponent, Alla Hulk Hogan to Ultimate Warrior. No one looks weak, no one looks like shit afterwards, and just Pure Wrestling Respect.

That is an acceptable way of him going down.

then like I said next week HHH challenges him and wins the title with the Help of whatever knew Evolution version 2 lackeys he has around and the guy who beat the Undertaker to receive his rub returns to the Midcard, or becomes a backstage interviewer or something..

but again, this isn't a good for business issue, like Removing the world title from Bret Hart before he ups and leaves for WCW for more money.

So the necessity isn't there, the precious rub only Matters if the WWE themselves think it Matters and so far the only benefit of it is the Undertaker.

Beating Hunter means nothing, because the people have been conditioned to know that it doesn't matter. Hunter either gets his win back right away, or blows the whole thing off, letting people know not to take it seriously. The Undertaker's streak has to end at some point. It's just how it is. Streaks don't last forever, and, booked right, whoever ends Undertaker's streak could be made for life given how special the streak is made to seem every WM.

Guest Trivia247
Beating Hunter means nothing, because the people have been conditioned to know that it doesn't matter. Hunter either gets his win back right away, or blows the whole thing off, letting people know not to take it seriously. The Undertaker's streak has to end at some point. It's just how it is. Streaks don't last forever, and, booked right, whoever ends Undertaker's streak could be made for life given how special the streak is made to seem every WM.

So....what will you bet on when the Streak does end that the person who does beat him is NOT set for life as you say and after losing to HHH or whomever else returns to a dreary Midcard existance?

Guest Trivia247
Like I said, if booked right, the guy ending the streak could be made a superstar for life. Obviously it won't happen if the guys legs get cut off; that goes without saying.

Booked right he wins, Im talking afterwards..

Ultimate warrior defeated Hogan because the WWF thought Hogan was totally on his way out... and Warrior was going to take his place... But Ultimate Warrior came short in picking up the Hogan Mantle.

Hogan leaves for good in 93 and they pervert and twist lex luger into the All American Knock off...... to try and make him into the new Hogan until he Choked, and couldn't hack it.

The one who brought down a Legend or took up the Mantle of someone that has been booked now for Over the Decade for Greatness is a heavy burden.

And whats worse, this isn't the same age as in the past, now a days in this land ripe with personal Political deals with HHH and such, the Odds are that the person would be "Set for Life" Are not very good to Poor...

so you break a streak and it turns out you did it for nothing.

When I said booked right, I thought it was obvious I'm talking before, during and after. Yes, it's unlikely given Hunter's desire to cut the legs off anyone who threatens his spot that whoever ends Undertaker's streak will get more than a momentary boost, but if that can be avoided, and Vince really gets behind the guy in question, it should be a career making win.

Question: If you allow someone to break the streak but he then doesn't profit from it, how is that worse than having Taker retire with his streak intact in terms of business? I mean you COULD get a massive star out of the first scenario - a retired Taker, streak or no streak, is going to do jack shit for ratings.

Question: If you allow someone to break the streak but he then doesn't profit from it, how is that worse than having Taker retire with his streak intact in terms of business?

At least with someone ending the streak an attempt has been made to shoot someone to the moon. And, with it being the streak ended, one would think that a lot of thought would be put into whoever that person is. I'm all for streaks and the like when they're good for business, but when you can't get anything more out of them, you end them.

Question: If you allow someone to break the streak but he then doesn't profit from it, how is that worse than having Taker retire with his streak intact in terms of business?

At least with someone ending the streak an attempt has been made to shoot someone to the moon. And, with it being the streak ended, one would think that a lot of thought would be put into whoever that person is. I'm all for streaks and the like when they're good for business, but when you can't get anything more out of them, you end them.

Yeah. Read my post. I'm agreeing with you.

To all those saying that HHH would kills the streak-enders heat, what makes you think that even retired, Taker wouldn't at least try to protect him. That's a big thing for him to do. I don't think he'd let it go down the drain. It'd make him look bad.

Yeah... especially if Taker did retire. Then HHH could use that in his favor. I was just saying that the Undertaker would at least try and protect the guy.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
To all those saying that HHH would kills the streak-enders heat, what makes you think that even retired, Taker wouldn't at least try to protect him. That's a big thing for him to do. I don't think he'd let it go down the drain. It'd make him look bad.

Yeah, that's a good point. But, you already posted it 90 minutes ago.

Yeah, that's a good point. But, you already posted it 90 minutes ago.

Bah... I was hoping no one noticed that. Someone called and disconnected me right after I clicked the "Add Reply" button. I didn't know it had went through since the paged didn't change at all.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

I think some people are overrating the magnitute of 'Taker's Mania streak. Sure, it's a rub, and, sure, it's a huge thing, but it's not by any means the only rub left. Beating a guy like Kurt Angle or Shawn Michaels clean or, dare I say it, beating Triple H clean is still a big boost for anybody in WWE. Besides, I really don't think 'Taker's Mania streak really is his thing at all. It's not like WWE wants Taker to be "the guy who's undefeated at Mania". I mean, Mania 17, Taker had to win, Mania 20, Taker had to win, Mania 13, 14, 15, Taker had to win. I don't think it's intentional, it's just worked out that way, as big as it is.

That said, if they are planning on using some big star to end Taker's streak, it shouldn't be Orton. As much as I like Orton, he's been a flop. Also, I think a random victory over Taker wouldn't mean a thing. It should have meaning, and at this point in time, if Orton vs. Taker really is planned, there's not enough time left to build a meaningful rivalry over it.

Basically, IMO, what it boils down to is- who is possibly worth risking Taker's Mania streak? The only ones I can think of are Brock Lesnar and Kurt pre-main event.

Beating Angle doesn't mean as much as it might do, primarily because he's been booked so badly for the past few years. Sure, it's a boost of a sort, but it's nothing star making. Beating Shawn clean is a boost for sure, and a big one, but beating Shawn clean isn't star making either. Beating Hunter ? Well, it's already been explained why that doesn't mean as much is it should; he either gets his win back in short order, or blows the result off like it means nothing, so the people don't think it meant anything either.

Why beating Undertaker clean at a WM, and ending the streak, can be star making is because there is a long and detailed story that can be built up leading to the match, and it's one that is already written for the most part. We're constantly told how Undertaker has been around for over 10 years, and if they play that up in the build up for Undertaker v Wrestler X, as well as Undertaker talking long and hard about how he has never been beaten at WM, it will make it seem very special, and it will mean something big when Undertaker finally loses at WM.

Remember that Angle, Hunter, Shawn and even Undertaker have all lost clean before anyway, but only Undertaker has never been beaten at a WM, and never having lost on the biggest stage of them all is special. Being the one to take that from Undertaker is the kind of rub that nobody else can give, because nobody else at his level has never lost at a WM.