TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Vanilla Midget

World cup 2002

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

I shall be getting up at 7 to watch the England game and then watching the USA game at half twelve (BST). It's a bit co-incidental that the England and USA games both kick off at 7:30 am (local times), maybe a sign that those two are going through?

Guest franchise632

Im on the west coast and the match doesnt start til 4am, so im just staying up for it, luckily im and unemployed slacker at this time so it doesnt really matter, but damn 4 am for football. I wouldnt stay up til 4am to watch RAW.

Guest caboose

Well England are out.

Fair play to Brazil, they out 'England'd' England if you know what I mean.

Brazil defended and held the ball well and barely gave England a sniff after the Ronaldinho sending off.

Speaking of the RedCard, what a joke. That ref is shocking.

Anyways, heres to England on a good and exciting campaign.

COME ON SPAIN, NAIL THE KOREANS, DEFEAT THE GERMANS/AMERICANS AND NAIL BRAZIL IN THE FINAL FOR ME!

Guest The Vanilla Midget

brazil/spain final is all but a given now. england had absolutely no attack in that game, and while they did defend well, they got caught out badly on one breakaway and one piece of magic. the red card was a farce, but in the end who cares??? ronaldinho's absence will mean jack shit against senegal/turkey who brazil will steamroll as if they were an absolute jobber.

Guest Anorak

Its a real shame England turned in that poor second half performance after doing so well throughout the competition, I don't think we quite did ourselves justice today which is a shame. I do think England have made decent progress over the last couple of years, compared to the shambles of Euro 2000 our performances have come on ten fold.

We did fine in the first half today, the goal came at the worst time possible of course but we looked ok, the most dissapointing thing was how we looked lost trying to come from behind. There were no real chances created and we looked a bit clueless going forward, Belgium asked more questions of their defence than us but didn't have the quality to punish them, it was sadly the opposite situation for us which was frustrating. The midfield simply wasn't good enough today, we needed a Steven Gerrard on there driving us forward and hitting probing balls, Scholes had a very poor game. I don't think Brazil outclassed us or anything, the England defence coped quite well for most of the game but we couldn't get any momentum going in the middle of the park and we were starved of posession for too long. On another day England could have won as Brazil are beatable, we just paid the inevitable price for underperforming.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Oh well...

Scholes has gone seriously down hill in the past year, if he dosn't improve Sven should replace him with Joe Cole. Gerrard would have been a huge help.

We're still crying out for a left footed midfielder. At least three times Dyer could have crossed but had to turn and play the ball back, losing any momentum.

Still, the team is only young, and there's no reason why we can't win Euro 2004.

Guest The Vanilla Midget

england will be close to an unstoppable force by euro 2004, and should take out that and germany '06. of course they need stability in the management, and if they stick with sven and mould the team from now, england will be a true power once more.

Guest redbaron51

So long England

Two of the most hated countries are gone from the world cup, England and Italy. :D :lol:

Guest Anorak
So long England

Two of the most hated countries are gone from the world cup, England and Italy. :D :lol:

Are you a Scot?

I think Germany are more generally disliked than England could ever be, for a supposedly hated team England get decent support from a lot of neutrals. I think the hooliganism problem has made us unpopular with many over the years though that seems to be slowly improving. Maybe its British club sides who need to worry about that aspect more at the moment.

Guest franchise632

Well its go time for USA, if they can score first I give them a chance, if not there record shows they cant come back. Should be fun.

Guest redbaron51

Well USA lost, but I'll give credit to them for the way they played, just that Kahn came up big when they need it.

Oh I just don't like Italy and England because of the many people at our school, I go for Germany since its close to Hungary :)

Guest RobJohnstone

even though they lost, great game. Exciting throughout. I am surprised USA kept that fast pace the entire time.

--Rob

Guest The Vanilla Midget

im a neutral, but if germany play that fucking boring style against spain (face it, the korean fairy tale is OVER), they will get fucking slaughtered, raul will tear that backline to pieces. it was usa's inability to successfully complete a pass between 1/2 way and the edge of the box for much of the 2nd half which cost them the game. they only really made inroads in the last 10 minutes, and by then it was far too late. bad luck to sanneh, he had a few good opportunities, he had one unmarked header with kahn to beat that he missed, then the final one he should have scored. player of his level... oh well, so long usa and bring on the brazil-spain final!

Guest Kotzenjunge

I shouldn't be surprised, but considering how the US was playing for the whole second half until stoppage time, I thought for sure they'd get a goal and even it up.

Now I'm no longer torn with who to root for at least!

DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES!

Guest redbaron51

Okay I'll take this into further.

Germany did what Italy did played defencively, and got lucky because of Kahn. Teams should not play defensivly until after they scored their two goals or you scored within the dying moments of the game.

USA just couldn't beat Kahn, Kahn made key saves to keep Germany in or else it would have been a USA blow out.

USA should have gotten a penalty kick, the ball was not completly over the line, but it was a hand ball, and that should have been a penalty. The ref had to think quickly, and as a referee myself, with the clock still going, I think it was the right call.

:mellow:

Guest HBK16

Dammit! Brasil wasn't suppose to win!! Anybody know the chances of Spain winning? Do they have a chance?

Guest redbaron51
Dammit! Brasil wasn't suppose to win!! Anybody know the chances of Spain winning? Do they have a chance?

They have a good chance of winning tomorrow against Korea, and hopefully they don't pull an Italy

Guest BobbyWhioux

Well, that's the way it goes. Sometimes the hand works for you (O'Brien against Mexico) sometimes it works against you.

I have yet to see the full game (my tape ran out of room just before halftime! ARRRGH!) but by all accounts, it seems to me that America -- a team riding the back of a hot goalie -- ran into a team in Germany whose goalie was a little hotter (and a more size on the attacking side of the ball).

They played well, but it just wasn't quite enough to win. Oh well, what can you do except start training for the next one?

Germany's a good team and the U.S. went above expectations to get this far. No shame in the U.S. effort; certainly gave Germany a much tougher match this time around than in the abysmal '98 cup.

I haven't really watched Spain closely, other than the Ireland game. Spain whipped Paraguay pretty bad, but they struggled against the Irish. Maybe it was playing all of overtime down a man due to injury, but Spain looked more than vulnerable to the Irish (who could be -- and maybe should be -- playing the Koreans if not for a couple fortuitous bounces). Korea, on the other hand, I have watched closely twice; against the U.S. and against The Azurri. The crowd is a weapon. They feed off the crowd like a 1980's babyface. They say the last 15 minuted "belong to them" and in the Korea matches I've seen, they do indeed. Spain has a VERY tough task, by what I've seen. Spain will probably need to put Korea away quickly with a bunch of early goals (like with paraguay) so that when the last 15 minutes role around, they can afford to concede the goal that S.Korea is likely to get.

But this has been the upside down cup; so you never know. Spain is finally playing up to the success level, at least in cup advancement, that they've been expected to and failed to do in cups past. Spain vs South Korea should be interesting.

Guest MaxPower27

Since I'm still new to this whole soccer thing, I have more ignorant American questions:

1) What's a cap? I saw it during Italy v. Mexico, and wondered about it.

2) How many substitutions are allowed per game? Why is there a limit?

3) What can a player get a yellow card for? A red card?

Thanks again you guys, you really seem to know what you're talking about.

Guest redbaron51

Cap? Dunno? Do you mean a salary cap?

3 substitutions. Its makes the game more of a strategy, seeing what players you need for the specific moment, like putting on a striker when you are down a goal. Also since the clock doesn't stop, it doesn't ruin the flow of the game

Yellow Card is when a person does something intentional, or has committed enough fouls with out being carded, or even faking an injury/diving.

Red Card is when you basically attempt to injure or do something totaly stupid, like pushing a ref. You automatically miss the next game if you get a red card.

If you get two yellows in one game it equals up to a red card.

If you get two yellow cards in two straight games, you get suspended for the next match

Guest alkeiper

I think cap is a term for international games played. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest BobbyWhioux

CAPS is, I believe, some sort of acronym for "games played for the national side [team] in international competition (i.e. world cup games, international "friendly" matches, the olympics, world cup qualifying, and continental tournaments like the Euro cup, FA cup, Copa America, etc.)

According to the commentators I've listened to during the world cup (I think I heard this from Tommy Smyth, the guy with the world's most Irish sounding Irish accent...those of you watching American TV coverage of the World Cup on ABC & the ESPNs know who I'm talking about) they literally used to give players caps of some sort after each international game played. Now I think they just give a guy a commemorative cap for playing in 50 international games (and probably another, fancier one for 100).

For bleedthesKY27:

There three substitutions allowed per game to each team (it used to be only two). I don't know why that is the limit, but it is. It does force the coach to use them more judiciously and strategically.

The difference between Red Cards and Yellow Cards (and simple fouls) is a matter of degree, basically, with Red being the most flagrant disregard for the rules and/or the physical health of others. Let me put it this way:

You go to tackle the ball away from a guy and you make contact with him and knock him down: Foul (unless you "got all ball" as they say in basketball) and a free kick.

You go for a tackle and you make contact solely with the opposing player and really weren't going for the ball at all: Foul + a Yellow card on you. Also, I believe deliberately hauling a guy down (a foul) in the penalty area [18 yard box] with the clear intent of preventing his getting a shot on goal is a yellow card. Yellow cars are now also given for "taking a dive" in order to stop players from taking overdramatic flops on the ground after minimal (or even a lack of) contact, especially in the 18-yard box, in an effort to draw a foul or penalty kick.

You go after the player recklessly and with absolutely no regard to the opponent's long term health & saftey, and/or you were gunning for him to "take him out": Foul and a Red Card. Hit the showers and your team now plays short handed [you CANNOT substitute a player who has been removed from the game via red card. You be stuck with only 10 players, foo, so behave yourself.] The red card is sort of the unholy union between basketball's technical foul and American Football's personal foul, with a little bit of hockey's game misconduct penalty thrown in for flavoring. You can also get a red card for a deliberate hand ball inside the penalty area (if you're a non-goalie) or if you are a goalie, deliberately playing the ball with your hands outside the 18 yard box. Or calling the referee one of the many colorful profane pejoratives from one of the many languages of the soccer-playing world would also probably get you a red card, too, especially if it came during the middle of your explaining to him that his recent foul call is "A bunch of crap!"

Two Yellows = A Red, and in international play, yellow cards carry over on your permanent record to the next game. And a red card, either direct or by accumulation of yellows, results in a one game suspension for that player IN ADDITION to the game he has been thrown out of.

Guest Renegade

ah feck! first England now Spain...

Korea played really well though.

Guest Renegade
¡¡¡NOOOOOOOOO!!! ¡I had my money on Spain!

same, 100 buckaroos too