TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Everybody is a suspect with steroids: Jeff Bagwell

Last year Jeff Bagwell and Jason Giambi were featured prominatly in an "The Incredible Shrinking BallPlayers" photo/article in Sports Illustrated

We all know what happened to Giambi, however on the Mike & The Mad Dog show on the radio here in NYC (660 AM WFAN) and simulcasted on the YES TV network Mike Francessa and Chris "Mad Dog" Russo came down on Bagwell for looking smaller.

Well off the air they got a phone call from Jeff's mother who apparantly watches the show regularly (not sure if she is in Houston or still in New England where Bagwell is from) and apparantly Bagwell just lost weight due to rehabing injuries (I think it was his arm last winter) and actually had long conversations with family members about possibly taking performance enhancing drugs, ultimatly deciding not to do it because of what it could cause long term.

Well apparantly no one else has gotten that message because Jeff Bagwell still ranks high on the "Players Most Suspected" lists by many in the media!

Steve

Someone wrote a month or two ago, jokingly, that we should just take our own copies of our reference books, take a marker, and denote asteriks wherever we please. I am taking that advice, and I have some groundshaking news. Joe Carter was on steroids when he hit his World Series winning home run in 1993. So with that in mind, I am proud to announce that the Phillies are now the 1993 World Champions!

Someone wrote a month or two ago, jokingly, that we should just take our own copies of our reference books, take a marker, and denote asteriks wherever we please. I am taking that advice, and I have some groundshaking news. Joe Carter was on steroids when he hit his World Series winning home run in 1993. So with that in mind, I am proud to announce that the Phillies are now the 1993 World Champions!

Not so fast my friend. You got a guy on that roster who pretty much bulked up after hitting a couple of homers in the 1986 postseason and started thinking "Hey this is something I can do!" Not saying anything, but the Man They Call Nails was definatly on something (though the NY media laughed it off for some reason in 1987, either that or Doc Gooden's problems took Lenny's bulking up off the spotlight)

By the way, Lenny is quoted in a book by Mike Lupica, granted the story is second hand from Wally Backman, but basically Dysktra told Backman that he had been taking "vitamins"

Okay, maybe Kruk didn't but don't tell me Daulton wasn't doing something =;)

And don't get me started on the greenie popping 1980 champs! =;)

Steve

I truly believe everyone on the 1969 Mets were taking steroids and to right this injustice, I would proudly like to announce the Baltimore Orioles have officially won the 1969 World Series.

Someone wrote a month or two ago, jokingly, that we should just take our own copies of our reference books, take a marker, and denote asteriks wherever we please.  I am taking that advice, and I have some groundshaking news.  Joe Carter was on steroids when he hit his World Series winning home run in 1993.  So with that in mind, I am proud to announce that the Phillies are now the 1993 World Champions!

I truly believe everyone on the 1969 Mets were taking steroids and to right this injustice, I would proudly like to announce the Baltimore Orioles have officially won the 1969 World Series.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Obviously it didn't help Bud Harrelson much!

Wait a minute, I'm calling Frank Robinson out! Dude was traded because he was an old 30! So how did he get better? STEROIDS! I'm declaring the Mets are STILL the 1969 World Champions of baseball!

Steve

I'm declaring the Cubs have won every World Series since 1909 because of illegal performance enhancing drugs. I don't care if they weren't invented, I have the word of a man with zero crediblity that every team in the majors EXCEPT the Cubs were inventing performance enhancing drugs AND using the ones they made!

This is a tremendous black eye to baseball and to right this wrong, the Chicago Cubs MUST be declared World Series champions for the last 105 years.

Someone wrote a month or two ago, jokingly, that we should just take our own copies of our reference books, take a marker, and denote asteriks wherever we please.  I am taking that advice, and I have some groundshaking news.  Joe Carter was on steroids when he hit his World Series winning home run in 1993.  So with that in mind, I am proud to announce that the Phillies are now the 1993 World Champions!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Obviously it didn't help Bud Harrelson much!

Wait a minute, I'm calling Frank Robinson out! Dude was traded because he was an old 30! So how did he get better? STEROIDS! I'm declaring the Mets are STILL the 1969 World Champions of baseball!

Steve

And I'm going to declare that, without the roids, the Mets don't catch the Cubs that summer.

Therefore, the REAL winners of the 1969 World Series, after 61 heart-breaking seasons, THE CHICAGO CUBS. What's that about a curse?

Guest LooneyTune

The Cleveland Spiders of 1899 were the only team that wasn't using steroids. THEY ARE THE... whateverthehelltrophytherewas champions of 1899!

Maybe it's just me, but I've thought for a while now that Bagwell looked like a juicer. The veins on his forearms and the size of his head made me suspicious, he shows the same superficial signs as confirmed users.

Maybe my biggest problem his Fatass Mike and Mad Dog, throwing around assumptions about a player, they have no actual proof used steroids. And in the largest market in the country to boot.

Guest Brian

Kruk was on something much worse than steroids. About two-hundred pounds worth of lasagna.

I guess Moron & Fat Ass didn't realize that the reason Jeff is smaller in the upper body is because due to the worsening condition of his shoulder he can't work out as strenuously as he used to.

My sister used to work for the Astros and I got to meet several of them. Some of them I got to know on a personal level, albeit not in the "hey wanna go hang out some time?" sorta way. Bagwell used to work out practically every spare minute he had. Now, with the degenerative condition of his right shoulder, he can hardly lift anything. Watch him play the field. He can barely throw from first to second nowadays.

I love how the witch hunt now allows anyone who wants to to make an uninformed accusation against anyone. Especially when it's two idiots who are looking to cash in on the scandal du jour.

I'm overruling that, since, by my records, Dykstra was also on steroids, and so was Mitch Williams. I have no idea where Williams got his from, due to the effects they had. :D

Guest LooneyTune

Kruk was on something much worse than steroids. About two-hundred pounds worth of lasagna.

That got a nice chuckle out of me... and is Kruk back with ESPN for more of his "intelligent discussion" like Curt Schilling should win the Cy Young because he has 1 more win over Johan Santana.

I guess Moron & Fat Ass didn't realize that the reason Jeff is smaller in the upper body is because due to the worsening condition of his shoulder he can't work out as strenuously as he used to.

My sister used to work for the Astros and I got to meet several of them. Some of them I got to know on a personal level, albeit not in the "hey wanna go hang out some time?" sorta way. Bagwell used to work out practically every spare minute he had. Now, with the degenerative condition of his right shoulder, he can hardly lift anything. Watch him play the field. He can barely throw from first to second nowadays.

I love how the witch hunt now allows anyone who wants to to make an uninformed accusation against anyone. Especially when it's two idiots who are looking to cash in on the scandal du jour.

Don't forget these guys are in New York, they aren't following the day-to-day injury reports of the Houston Astros. They saw his picture in SI and just said basically it did not look good.

They haven't said a peep since, and actually it was one of the very few times they ever make inneuendo about anyone

Now down the dial, Wally Mathews and Tom Keegan, of ESPN Radio (1050 AM) openly accuse who they think are on roids almost every day.

Case in point, recently when Greenwell came out demanding the 88 MVP be given to him, they went through every MVP vote since 1995 and gave it to the guy highest in the voting who they didn't suspect. Lance Berkman (only because Keegan has said he is very vocal anti-steroid guy) Vlad Guerrero, and Craig Biggio ended up with multiple awards

Mathews last year kept wanting to list guys he thought were on it and got off and was going to track their performance, for some reason they never got around to it but certainlty guys like Bagwell, Kent, Piazza, Klesko, ect would have been on that list

So you are picking on the wrong guys in that vein. Russo and Francessa are very good at not playing the inneuendo game and sinking to the level of throwing names out based soley on their suspicions. Although, Russo being a major Yankee-Hater would tweak Yankee fans after the Giambi signing when fans called about "How can you root for that juicer Bonds?" (Russo loves the Giants) would say "Don't think there aren't steroid users in that Yankee clubhouse, and I'm talking MVP caliber players" insinuating rumors about Giambi. But I think that is playing more towards "Don't assume that my guy is the only juicer in the game" rather than "outing" Jason Giambi

Steve

Maybe my biggest problem his Fatass Mike and Mad Dog, throwing around assumptions about a player, they have no actual proof used steroids. And in the largest market in the country to boot.

Again, they were commenting on what they saw in SI last year that Bagwell shrunk. Nothing more, they aren't the type that throw around gossip and such, and did mention Bagwell's mother correcting them.

Like I said, there are far worse here in this market (Wally Mathews and Tom Keegan) In fact it was a rareity for them to make a comment like that

Steve

Did anyone hear about the Todd Helton allegations? I gotta be honest, Helton and Bagwell are two guys I always considered as "smart" users, or at least to be on something. I was more surprised to hear Pudge and Palmeiro's names than theirs....

Guest Quik

No one should listen to Mike and the Mad Dog.

"Mike and the Mad Dog wadio pwogwam! Mikey, we gonna tawk about Jefff Bagweww. Uh, I think he's on the stewoids Mikey, ah what do you think?"

"Uh, Dog, uh... he's on the juice... it's obvious."

Fucking hacks. The only man with a serious speech impediment who's on radio. Goddamn.