TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Anaheim Angels

The Angels won 92 games and the AL West last season, taking two of three from the Athletics on the last weekend. They were quickly bounced from the playoffs, but they look to return.

Looking to improve their team, they made some questionable moves. They needed a center fielder. Instead of moving their superior defender (Darin Erstad) to center where he belongs, they kept him at first so Casey Kotchman could stay at AAA, and signed Steve Finley to a two year, $15 Million contract. Many point to Finley's great defense and 36 home runs at the age of 39. However, the previous three years Finley hit 14, 25 and 22 home runs. Only five players in baseball history hit 30 or more home runs at the age of 39. Of those, Hank Aaron hit 20 the next season, Willie Stargell hit 11, and Cy Williams hit 12. The other is Barry Bonds, who also looks to suffer a drop in home runs this season. Darrell Evans is the ONLY player in baseball history to hit more than 30 home runs after 40.

Now, with that information in mind, also noting that Finley is moving from a hitters' park to a neutral park, and that his home run rate fell to his established career level when he moved to Dodger Stadium, how likely is it that Steve Finley will repeat his 2004 season?

Next, the Angels ditched their established shortstop to sign Orlando Cabrera to a four year, $32 Million contract. Cabrera is a very nice defensive shortstop, but I don't see any level of defense makes a player with a .316 career OBP worth $8 Million a season. Especially since the Angels acquired Maicer Izturis over the offseason.

Not that the Angels did not make some good moves. They let Troy Glaus go in favor of Dallas McPherson, and they cut Jose Guillen for a cheaper, less-problematic player in Juan Rivera. The thing is, this team is not a great club, like many think. They finished just seventh in runs last year, and since Finley is replacing Jose Guillen in the lineup, they haven't upgraded significantly. Garret Anderson's days of great hitting are likely over.

The Angels' pitching is their biggest strength. Kelvim Escobar emerged as the team's best pitcher, and John Lackey is an underrated pitcher. Paul Byrd is a very good pitcher as long as he remains healthy. Bartolo Colon is a question mark, as he allowed 38 home runsin 208.3 IP. 26 of those came in the first half, and we'll see if Colon can right the ship.

On the bullpen, Francisco Rodriguez is one of the great relievers in the game today. Watch him pitch if you can. Scot Shields and Brendan Donnelly provide depth, and no team in baseball is more adept at finding quality relief pitchers out of nowhere.

The Angels are one of the top contenders in the AL West. I have an irrational love of the Athletics, and I think the A's are favorites. But the Angels are more than capable of taking the title.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame
Looking to improve their team, they made some questionable moves. They needed a center fielder. Instead of moving their superior defender (Darin Erstad) to center where he belongs, they kept him at first so Casey Kotchman could stay at AAA, and signed Steve Finley to a two year, $15 Million contract. Many point to Finley's great defense and 36 home runs at the age of 39. However, the previous three years Finley hit 14, 25 and 22 home runs. Only five players in baseball history hit 30 or more home runs at the age of 39. Of those, Hank Aaron hit 20 the next season, Willie Stargell hit 11, and Cy Williams hit 12. The other is Barry Bonds, who also looks to suffer a drop in home runs this season. Darrell Evans is the ONLY player in baseball history to hit more than 30 home runs after 40.

Erstad had to stay at 1st. He was injuring himself too much in CF and we need him to bat second in the lineup. That was the reason for him moving to 1st last year and that is why he is there this year. So we did need a Center Fielder, as Anderson is much better on the left. I'll agree we overpaid for Findlay BUT other than Beltran, who else could we have gone for within that budget? Once we knew Beltran was out of reach, we had to move quickly.

Next, the Angels ditched their established shortstop to sign Orlando Cabrera to a four year, $32 Million contract. Cabrera is a very nice defensive shortstop, but I don't see any level of defense makes a player with a .316 career OBP worth $8 Million a season. Especially since the Angels acquired Maicer Izturis over the offseason.

A lot of fans upset here, and the element of Stoneman being at the Expos when Cabrera was there means the move has the undertone of the 'old mates club'. It is an upgrade, but perhaps not one that justifys the price between the contracts. Perhaps more significantly Cabrera's defence will cover up more for McPherson's inabilities on defence. That is very important, since Erstad at 1st and Figgins at 2nd should be tidy.

Not that the Angels did not make some good moves. They let Troy Glaus go in favor of Dallas McPherson, and they cut Jose Guillen for a cheaper, less-problematic player in Juan Rivera. The thing is, this team is not a great club, like many think. They finished just seventh in runs last year, and since Finley is replacing Jose Guillen in the lineup, they haven't upgraded significantly. Garret Anderson's days of great hitting are likely over.

Glaus going was inevitable I think with McPherson coming through. Don't forget we also have Quinlan and DaVanon who played very well last year. And Morales, who is a wildcard, but comes highly recommended. So yes, 1 - 9 the lineup is not as potent, but as far as a squad goes, we are better - and those injuries last year did hurt us.

Anderson battled through back arthritis last year, but did well in the clutch in the stretch. We may not get 2002 and 2003 type numbers, but he'll be there or thereabouts.

The Angels' pitching is their biggest strength. Kelvim Escobar emerged as the team's best pitcher, and John Lackey is an underrated pitcher. Paul Byrd is a very good pitcher as long as he remains healthy. Bartolo Colon is a question mark, as he allowed 38 home runsin 208.3 IP. 26 of those came in the first half, and we'll see if Colon can right the ship.

Check out Colon's numbers post All-Star break. He got his stuff together and has looked great in pre-season. He is our no.1. We went after Clement and would likely have got him had it not been for the Red Sox. Ironically, had we got him, Cabrera would not have come. So on paper, Cabrera and Byrd or Clement. I'd think I would go with the former in this case.

Overall, I think we will win the division. Oakland is too much of a wildcard with their pitching. Seattle will put up some runs, as will Texas, but again, pitching will let them down. I can see the same 1 - 4 finish as last year, with the Angels, Athletics and Rangers winning less games and Seattle more.

Once we knew Beltran was out of reach, we had to move quickly.

Credit to the Angels for not getting sucked into Boras' game with Beltran, but didn't they sign Finley on like the first day of free agency? That's not exactly making a solid play for a superior outfielder. It's a quick fix, but how do you really know Beltran was out of reach at that point?

Guest Smues

Credit to the Angels for not getting sucked into Boras' game with Beltran, but didn't they sign Finley on like the first day of free agency? That's not exactly making a solid play for a superior outfielder. It's a quick fix, but how do you really know Beltran was out of reach at that point?

Scott Boras was his agent. I think that puts him out of reach by default.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Angels had two main needs going into the winter. They needed a new startiing pitcher, and a Center Fielder. In order to know what they had to play with for pitching, they needed to get the CF sorted quickly. Messing about with Clement and Beltran at the same time may have resulted in Findlay being snapped up elsewhere. Angels didn't gamble on this one.

Erstad had to stay at 1st. He was injuring himself too much in CF and we need him to bat second in the lineup. That was the reason for him moving to 1st last year and that is why he is there this year. So we did need a Center Fielder, as Anderson is much better on the left. I'll agree we overpaid for Findlay BUT other than Beltran, who else could we have gone for within that budget? Once we knew Beltran was out of reach, we had to move quickly.

Erstad still missed 37 games last year, so moving him to first base hardly cures all injuries. And I'm sorry, but when your first baseman is posting hitting numbers below the league average, he does not belong in the lineup. The Angels have two players on their team that can outproduce Erstad. The problem is that if he is not in center, he does not deserve to be in the lineup in the first place.

As for center field, there was not much out there, but that does not mean it is good to overpay for a player who is a 50/50 shot at being a liability in 2006. The Angels could have used Jeff Davanon or Chone Figgins if they needed.

Check out Colon's numbers post All-Star break. He got his stuff together and has looked great in pre-season. He is our no.1.

Absolutely. He pitched extremely well after the All-Star break. He was kind of the anti-Mulder in that regard. Still, I think Escobar had a better season, even after the All-Star break.

I think the Angels are clearly the best team in the west. No "ace" but 4 reliable starters, Scot Shields, K-Rod and a good pen, and a pretty complete lineup. Plus Vlad Guerrero is a major diference maker on offense, all he does is knock in runs.

Seattle is the only team I could see making a run, I think they could win 90, but only if the pitching comes together, which is a big if. They've definitely got the offense though.

Oakland is too young, this will be a learning year for them, they could start making noise in '06.