TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Just how big time is the WWE/Wrestlemania

Don't ask why I'm wondering this, but despite all the overhype that the WWE does for its product and of course Wrestlemania, I wonder just how much the two are really considered the "big time" in terms of the industry as a whole

Well, I ask because so many times both get dumped on by wrestlers and other promotions (going back to WCW, ECW, ect) granted some of the shots come from people with grudges against Vince and/or someone with the Federation, or just hate their business practices but it does seem that the only "Yeah that is the big time" comes from people employed by the WWF/WWE at the time they are making the statements.

So is main eventing a WWE Wrestlemania actually considered a pinnacle spot in the industry? (Granted there have been many questionalble MEers in WM's history) or is it just the overhype machine of the WWE promoting its product

Put it this way (and yes I'm aware I'm comparing an on the level sport with a scripted one but go with me) The MVP of the Arena Bowl or the Grey Cup may keep that moment as a special one that no one can every take away, but he would trade all that just to play a down in the NFL's Super Bowl, and I'm wondering if an MEer on an Indy fed (or ROH/TNA, ect) would feel the same way Curtian Jerking at WrestleMania?

Steve

Better payday, for starters. I don't recall seeing a lot of indy guys making a fortune staying local. While on the other hand I'm sure you can make a decent living while working for WWE. I'd worry first about building up a nest egg, then the grudges would come later.

Better payday, for starters. I don't recall seeing a lot of indy guys making a fortune staying local. While on the other hand I'm sure you can make a decent living while working for WWE. I'd worry first about building up a nest egg, then the grudges would come later.

I heard Raven is making more money on the indies than he ever did in WWE, and if TNA is still considered an indy, DDP is making more there than he did in WWE, as well.

Obviously, it is, just because of the payday and the exposure. The only thing that really compares would be main eventing the Tokyo Dome in Japan (and that doesn't really get you anywhere outside of Japan... main event WM and you're over in US, Canada, UK, Australia at least).

It's not necessarily a great achievement because it's at the whim of Vince McMahon, but there's no comparable event. There's not been too many people who have main-evented Mania than aren't set financially for life.

I have a feeling that anybody on the independent circuit, no matter how much they've bad-mouthed Vince McMahon, if offered a spot at WrestleMania would jump at the chance. I have a feeling most people on the independent scene view WrestleMania as a big event, and probably still gather around and watch it as fans.

Yes and yes. Yes to the first because the WWE can offer more money and better exposure than any other fed in the country, plus is home to some of the best wrestlers in the world as coworkers; yes to the second because, well, I imagine most football players watch the Super Bowl, ya know?

I have a feeling that anybody on the independent circuit, no matter how much they've bad-mouthed Vince McMahon, if offered a spot at WrestleMania would jump at the chance. I have a feeling most people on the independent scene view WrestleMania as a big event, and probably still gather around and watch it as fans.

The force is strong in this one.