TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Opening Day Thread

what was he ejected for? throwing a fit? aruging?

Being Carlos. Basically celebrating getting out of a jam while informing the umpire he disagrees with his calling on certain pitches in the polite manner than Carlos is known for.

In his case, I thought the ump was squeezing Zambrano really badly during that inning.

The Cubs beating the crap out of Vazquez with small ball is fun and entertaining. Who needs Sosa and Alou?

Please don't say the Orioles and Giants.

and some people wonder why the yanks were so willing to give up on vazquez?

I think its more people keep wanting to get on the Yanks for giving up on a guy too soon.

When you think about it, as barren as the farm system has been, who in this era have the Yanks given up that has gone on to "bigger and better things"

There has been no Fred McGriffs, Willie McGees, Doug Drabeks, Jay Buhners, JT Snows, and Al Leiters in this run

Eric Milton and Willy Mo Pena I think are the only ones. Maybe Nick Johnson if he stays healthy. Not counting Alfonso Soriano obviously due to who the Yanks got in return

Heck, if the Yanks held on to Tino the way fans and media were clamming about at the time (as in "don't break up the team" since Brosius and O'Neill had retired why not keep a guy who can still play) Lord knows how everyone would be crying about the Yanks wasting a roster spot on a guy who should only be a soild defensive backup and guy off the bench (in other words, what Tino is now)

That really is where Cashman and Watson have to get credit for.

It was one loss. It's an extreme hitters' park, and Adam Dunn is one of the most fearsome power hitters in baseball. Come back from the ledge.

No, being a fatalistic Mets fan is more fun

Okay, maybe not bring back Armando, but it is funny that all winter/spring fans and media kept saying that the guys bridging the starters and Looper are the main concern, and who blows the game? LOOPER!

:throwup:

"Super way to start a super summer"

-Oz (Chris Klein) American Pie II

I think its more people keep wanting to get on the Yanks for giving up on a guy too soon.

When you think about it, as barren as the farm system has been, who in this era have the Yanks given up that has gone on to "bigger and better things"

There has been no Fred McGriffs, Willie McGees, Doug Drabeks, Jay Buhners, JT Snows, and Al Leiters in this run

Eric Milton and Willy Mo Pena I think are the only ones. Maybe Nick Johnson if he stays healthy. Not counting Alfonso Soriano obviously due to who the Yanks got in return

Besides Wily Mo Pena, Nick Johnson and Eric Milton, there was D'Angelo Jimenez, Christian Guzman, Mike Lowell, Zach Day, Jake Westbrook, Damaso Marte and Ted Lilly.

I'd say Lilly is a complete washout, considering how well Clemens did as a Yank.

Lilly had a 120 ERA+ last year. And he wasn't traded for Clemens (David Wells was). He was traded for some guy named Weaver. Think the Yanks won that trade?

Besides Wily Mo Pena, Nick Johnson and Eric Milton, there was D'Angelo Jimenez, Christian Guzman, Mike Lowell, Zach Day, Jake Westbrook, Damaso Marte and Ted Lilly.

Right, forgot about them.

But by the same token, the Yanks never did have the "room" for any of them. Not with Boggs/Hayes/Brosius at third (okay 2002-2003 they could have used a Mike Lowell, but come on, they weren't going to let him ride the pine untill Brosius retired) SS was solidified in 1996 and will still be for a while to come, 1B was always Giambi's since he first made rumblings about "always wanting to be a Yankee, 2B was solidified with Knoblauch and Soriano (untill the trade to get ARod)

You could make the case Day, Westbrook and Lilly fell into the Steinbrenner era trap of wanting veteran pitchers instead of guys from the farm to a lesser extent than the obvious Doug Drabeks and Al Leiters of the mid-late 80's I mean Pettitte was nearly traded every July 31st it seemed!

Steve

I'd say Lilly is a complete washout, considering how well Clemens did as a Yank.

Lilly had a 120 ERA+ last year. And he wasn't traded for Clemens (David Wells was). He was traded for some guy named Weaver. Think the Yanks won that trade?

Whoops.

But Lilly REALLY wasn't working in New York. They gave him chance after chance after chance, but he always had that 5th inning curse. When it came to getting past that inning, and getting a win, HE COULD NEVER DO IT.

Not to say Weaver did any better, but still.

Guest LooneyTune

Weaver isn't a New York pitcher, and neither was Vazquez. The preasure gets to people, and they were victims of the preasure.

Guest LooneyTune

He pitched good the first half? Then why is everyone complaining he was horrible (tears up "listen to other people" card)? I guess that last half of a season was really bad though.

Richie Sexson is off to a hot start, 2-3 with 2 hr and 5 rbi. I hope he can stay healthy because I would love to see the Mariners compete this year.

If he does.. then the M's look like geniuses.

If not. Then they look like morons.

I know it'll get shot dow eventually, but I'm actually feeling really optimistic about the O's right now. If Rodrigo Lopez can pitch like a real ace, and the rest of the staff can pitch like they did in the second half, they have the potential to make a serious run at the wildcard. I mean their lineup already matches up with anybody; maybe they can be like the Yankees last year and just win a bunch of games in spite of mediocre pitching.

If they were in the Central or the West, I'd feel like they had a really good shot. It's just depressing being in the AL East right now, because no matter how much your team does, you know it's going to be nigh to impossible to boot the Yankees or Red Sox out of a playoff spot.

In box scores, for pitchers, what does an "H" represent? Two of my Phils' pitchers got one today.

"Hold." It is a statistic for middle relievers who entered the game in a save situation (up by three or less after the sixth inning), and did not collect the save, but left the game without surrendering the league. Tim Worrell did not get one because the Phillies had increased the lead to four when he entered.

Odd, Madson was in with a more-than-3-runs lead.

Madson came in the game with Terrmel Sledge representing the tying run at home, bases loaded. When the potential tying run is at bat or on deck, it is a save situation, and hence in this case, a hold situation.

In box scores, for pitchers, what does an "H" represent?  Two of my Phils' pitchers got one today.

"Hold." It is a statistic for middle relievers who entered the game in a save situation (up by three or less after the sixth inning), and did not collect the save, but left the game without surrendering the league. Tim Worrell did not get one because the Phillies had increased the lead to four when he entered.

You forgot to mention it's one of the dumbest statistics of all time. Guy goes in with the bases loaded in the 7th, leading by 5, gives up a grand slam, and exits the game. He gets a hold.

I hate to thin slice a baseball game, especially after the Phillies win, but it is frustrating to see Abreu and Thome in the clutch fail again. Twice Bobby came up with a man on third and under 2 outs and he managed a strikeout and a week pop out. And Thome picked up where he left off last year with runners in scoring position. Your 3, 4 hitters just have to be able to get the job done.

But, overall, a nice way for the Phillies to start off the year. I hope that Pat the bat really did need just to have his head cleared to step it up again.

Okay I'll beat Al to the punch. Thome did suck in the so called "clutch" last year but Abreu with runners on hit .333/.457/.584, runners in scoring position .322/.432/.624, and with runners in scoring position & two outs (what is defined as so called "clutch") he hit an outstanding .396/.522/.792 last season.

Abreu is a "clutch" god!

But he's still no All-Star.

It's mostly statistical white noise. When players accumulate massive amounts of at bats in "clutch" situations, their clutch statistics tend to mirror their career statistics.

Although I'd be missing an opportunity if I didn't point out that with runners on base, Abreu is a career .330 hitter.

no longer opening day, but this may as well be an "opening week" thread.....

great game between the Yanks and Sox right now, 3-2 NY, Foulke has just come on in the bottom of the 8th to face Williams (just popped up), Tino (K), and now Womack.

Rivera's in the pen...

What a magnificent start to the world championship defense, guys. Edgar Rentaria is certainly earning that contract.