TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Masters

Woods had gone 10 majors without a win. Same as the stretch between his first Masters win in 1997, and the PGA in 1999. That's when he was completley dominate outside the PGA against Bob May.

Now Tiger is halfway done in getting more majors than Nicklaus. In my opinion there can be no talk of Tiger being the best ever--one can say he is one of the best ever or he will become the best ever--until he breaks 18 majors. But then of course a lot of people who just started watching golf on various message boards and in real life are of the, "DUDE TIGER IS BEST EVER, NICKALUS AND BOBBY JONSE AREN'T HALFF AS GUD@!!!"

But yea, Tiger is great. When it is all said and done, I figure he probably will be the best ever.

We had a great discussion at work about this.

What if Jack had been in shape?

What if Bobby Jones didn't retire so young?

What if Ben Hogan had never been in a car wreck?

What if Byron Nelson had a chance to play in the majors that were affected by the Second World War?

What if Arnold Palmer had metal drivers and softer golf balls?

My take was that they were all irrelevant. It made for a great thought or two, but the fact is, that for now, it's a two man race for the best player ever between Tiger and Jack in my opinion. Jack holds the crown until Tiger hits 19. Maybe even Tiger takes the title if Tiger gets to say, 14 or 15 majors but eclipses Jack's total win count of 70.

And no, his US Amateur wins do not count, nor do Jack's. That's not to undermine how impressive it is, especially 36 straight matches won like Tiger did, but if they mattered in the long run, people who were ignorant to golf would know who Phil Mickelson was because of how impressive his amateur and college career was.