TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

Interview with Chriss Harris about Lockdown

A TNAWRESTLING.COM INTERVIEW WITH AMW'S "WILDCAT" CHRIS HARRIS ABOUT THE LOCKDOWN PAY-PER-VIEW

harris.jpg

Not only are America's Most Wanted the most celebrated tag team in TNA history, but they are also masters of the cage match. Having competed in more cage matches than anyone in TNA, "Wildcat" Chris Harris and "Cowboy" James Storm know what kind of brutality to expect at the Lockdown Pay-Per-View on April 24. In this exclusive TNAwrestling.com interview, Chris Harris talks about the upcoming epic event, AMW's cage match against Team Canada, the toll the steel structure takes on your mind and body and so much more!

Q: What is the top steel cage moment in your career thus far?

HARRIS: The first TNA cage match when we did the Death Sentence from the top. There have been great moments in TNA cage matches since that and we set a standard with the first one for people to try and top it. We were the first to do something crazy that everyone was talking about.

Q: How do you prepare differently going into a cage match?

HARRIS: First off, it is definitely more physical and brutal. When you go into a regular match it’s either going to be scientific or brawling. When you get in the cage you’re there for a reason, to brawl. You don’t like your opponents and you better cut them into pieces or they will try and cut you down.

Q: What type of toll does having a match like this play on your body & mind?

HARRIS: You may not be able to walk out even if you win. You’re bloody and cut up. The next day you will probably find cuts on you that you didn’t even know you had. I don’t think people realize what kind of damage is done in the cage. Now that it’s in six sides it’s much worse then four. With Six Sides of Steel the cage has less give to it so when you are rammed into it you feel it a lot more than in a square cage. It’s like hitting a brick wall. The toll on your body compared to a normal match is ten fold.

Q: You guys have had more cage matches than anyone else in TNA history and Team Canada has had none, what advantage does that give you at Lockdown

HARRIS: We are more prepared because we have been there. Having the experience in the cage give us the advantage. A major disadvantage for Team Canada is while they have beaten us before, they always seem to use the numbers game. This time around it will be two on two and they will not have anyone else able to help them out. In a match like this so much can happen. We have the experience of giving it all in that cage and we will do it again. They are not prepared to take the punishment me and Storm are going to dish out.

Q: When placed in such an imposing structure as Six Sides of Steel how does your strategy change? Are you looking to damage your opponent more?

HARRIS: Absolutely, I want to make them unrecognizable. You have free reign with a weapon and it’s all around you. In that match I’ll take any opportunity to hurt them, ram any part of their bodies into the steel.

Q: What type of role can Scott D’Amore play next Sunday?

HARRIS: He will be there and I’m sure he will try and get involved. But since the cage is up we expect a lot less involvement from him than usual. But knowing that D’Amore, I’m sure he has something up his sleeve.

Q: You guys have been involved in some of the bloodiest matches in TNA history, what does seeing your own blood in the ring do to your psyche?

HARRIS: That has changed with me over time, going into a match like this you expect to bleed. Sometimes you don’t even know it and you’ve been cut in a few different places. The first time you see your own blood, and I used to feel like this, you think how am I going to come back from this? How bad am I hurt? But now that I’ve been there a few times, I know I can come back from it because I have before so it doesn’t effect me. Now it fires me up, when I see my own blood, or as sick as it sounds taste it, it puts me in a rage. I become a crazy animal in there. We have bled and won and come back from it.

Q: What was it like at that first cage match when you were standing at the top of the cage and hit the Death Sentence (one of the top five cage moments fans can vote on through tnawrestling.com)?

HARRIS: I don’t remember that much of it. We had beat the hell out of each other so I was kind of out of it. We hit the Death Sentence from the top rope when Elix was outside and Daniels kicked out. We couldn’t believe it he kicked out of our finisher. What do we have to do to beat these guys. Storm gave me the signal to climb the cage and I climbed up. I don’t think that I was thinking. That cage is a LOT higher than anyone would expect. I just had to do no turning back at that point so I just jumped. I couldn’t even celebrate I was so hurt. I didn’t feel any of the pain. I mean we won so all the pain went out the window. I look at the tape now and think, I must have been crazy. I can still feel the effects of it from time to time.

Q: What can fans expect from next Sunday’s “Lockdown” as the first ever, all cage pay-per-view event will take place?

HARRIS: It will be an exciting night brutality from start to finish. Six Sides of Steel and AMW always equal excitement. But with the cage up the whole night you got guys who have never been in there before and they are out to prove something. The talent here in TNA is by far the best in the world, and everyone wants to prove how good they are. The fans will definitely get their money’s worth. It will be a night to remember

I hope he wastes away in the Tag Division 4 life.

I hope he wastes away in the Tag Division 4 life.

Why don't you like Harris or AMW? Their matches are formulated but they do the formula to perfection. They rarely have bad matches and often steal the show. They don't have the greatest personalities or promo skills but that's not always neccesarry especially for a babyface tag team...

They are solid no doubt. I would hire em if i were a promoter.

I just hate em. They seem very uninteresting to me as a fan. They are the pinnacle of lameness.

Randomness: I was going through my tape collection today and came across an old Chris Harris vs. James Storm match from back in 2000. To further accentuate the weirdness of the situation, it took place at an NWA show at the Nashville Fairgrounds (aka "Asylum"), and Tiny the Timekeeper was the referee.

Is the Death Sentence that powerbomb/neckbreaker dealy they do, or am I thinking of a different one of their moves?

That's the Powerplex, which was actually Triple X's finisher and I only recall AMW using it to beat XXX in ironic fashion at Turning Point.

The Death Sentence is the same move as the Midnight Express' Vegomatic.

The Death Sentence is the same move as the Midnight Express' Vegomatic.

Don't forget Al Snow and Blackmon doing it to that midget in the cheese costume. That was just mean.