TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

Lockdown predictions

ratings do sound pretty high. but then again i didn't see the show. hopefully i'll DL it in a couple days. cuz it sounds decent.

If you're going to go into a show already set that its not going to be good, well its probably likely it wont be.

The opening match itself seemed to be better than expected given the fact that it has to be improvised somewhat because of the Candido injury and they made it not look so obvious they were doing so - I already said this. It, to me, was a little bit above average (which is ** 1/2) so I gave it ***, as I thought it accomplished alot in really getting Hoty over, be it intentional or not.

To me a **** match is something definately worth checking out again and again to me, as the flow of it was tremendous and had unique spots like the four way submission, some spots off the top rope and cage, and a decent finish that didnt hurt Sabin at all. I dont know what you are referring to, but never seen any TNA X division match do a ***** although some others like the last Ultimate X I think I had at **** 1/2, much like Styles/Abyss.

If Raven/Hardy was one of the dullest table matches you've seen, you must have not seen many before, as this was certainly not as good at most WWE TLC matches, for example, but most certainly above the radar of most table matches. Sure RR 00 was a great match too, probably about this same level to me, maybe going **** on that one.

For the main event, it just seemed like they both had their working shoes on to the max. Those two always work together and they used alot of creativity in the match itself, not even getting into the cage for 10 minutes. Those spots on the cage door with Styles taking those stiff shots were certainly memorable. Tons of intensity along with some gimmicks here and there that just plain worked to me. Had the feeling of a 'big match' and honestly, yeah I will remember it!

If you can't accept what I felt the matches were, thats fine - to each their own.

I guess it's all in how you relate the star ratings to the match.

Everyone is different. For example i think an average match is **. And i grade up and down from there. I rarely give anything above **** AJ vs Abyss sounds like it could be **** though.

Guest El Tuck II
If you're going to go into a show already set that its not going to be good, well its probably likely it wont be.

The opening match itself seemed to be better than expected given the fact that it has to be improvised somewhat because of the Candido injury and they made it not look so obvious they were doing so - I already said this. It, to me, was a little bit above average (which is ** 1/2) so I gave it ***, as I thought it accomplished alot in really getting Hoty over, be it intentional or not.

To me a **** match is something definately worth checking out again and again to me, as the flow of it was tremendous and had unique spots like the four way submission, some spots off the top rope and cage, and a decent finish that didnt hurt Sabin at all. I dont know what you are referring to, but never seen any TNA X division match do a ***** although some others like the last Ultimate X I think I had at **** 1/2, much like Styles/Abyss.

If Raven/Hardy was one of the dullest table matches you've seen, you must have not seen many before, as this was certainly not as good at most WWE TLC matches, for example, but most certainly above the radar of most table matches. Sure RR 00 was a great match too, probably about this same level to me, maybe going **** on that one.

For the main event, it just seemed like they both had their working shoes on to the max. Those two always work together and they used alot of creativity in the match itself, not even getting into the cage for 10 minutes. Those spots on the cage door with Styles taking those stiff shots were certainly memorable. Tons of intensity along with some gimmicks here and there that just plain worked to me. Had the feeling of a 'big match' and honestly, yeah I will remember it!

If you can't accept what I felt the matches were, thats fine - to each their own.

First oof, I didn't go into this show thinking it would be bad. I wasn't sure what it was going to be. I thought it was going to be good or bad. No in between. It was the latter. Second, I never said there were any 5 star matches in the X-Division becuase they're haven't been any in TNA. I was saying that that would probably be the rating you would give to the X-Division matches that were much better than this one because you gave it 4 stars. Third, the amount of tables I've seen are irrelevant. The match was dull, plain and simple. Finally, the main event was good. I don't argue that. But with the rating you've given it it would be amongst the greatest matches of this millenium.

So in my humble opinion. This was a crap PPV.

I guess it's all in how you relate the star ratings to the match.

Everyone is different. For example i think an average match is **. And i grade up and down from there. I rarely give anything above **** AJ vs Abyss sounds like it could be **** though.

Yeah I guess this is kind of my criteria

DUD - well duh, nothing match that never shouldnt have happened - EX: Brown v. Trytan

* - Match that doesnt have much value at all, goes too long without keeping attention, if maybe a nice spot or sonething at thats it. Most free TV matches probably fall between this and ** to me.

** - Slightly below average, still not worth checking the match out as a whole as in most cases a match at ** to me was one good in theory but not as well done in execution, but there is usually a few good moments from the match or at least the effort was there by someone.

*** - Solid match that deserves praise as keeping an undercard's momentum going, etc. Both guys working hard, but maybe limited by time constraints or a really easy to follow flow to take it up higher. Good examples of between this level and **** (usually at *** 1/2 or so) are always your typical Raw main events that goes around 15 minutes or Benoit v. Edge a few weeks ago on Raw was a good one too. Finish and match as a whole accomplishes something, although its not a "must see" match.

**** - Definately worth going out of your way to see, match is given time to develop, hard working, good finish and context but there are flaws, but nothing that makes or break the match as a whole. Memorable spots that stick out for sure. Some stuff is still missing here though such as tremendous start to finish psychology for example.

***** - Clearly a "perfect" match which is few and far between. Michaels and Angle came closest in recent memory. I dont think I can say TNA ever had a ***** match but there's been at least a half dozen in the last 6 months around the **** to ***** 1/2 range.

First oof, I didn't go into this show thinking it would be bad. I wasn't sure what it was going to be. I thought it was going to be good or bad. No in between. It was the latter. Second, I never said there were any 5 star matches in the X-Division becuase they're haven't been any in TNA. I was saying that that would probably be the rating you would give to the X-Division matches that were much better than this one because you gave it 4 stars. Third, the amount of tables I've seen are irrelevant. The match was dull, plain and simple. Finally, the main event was good. I don't argue that. But with the rating you've given it it would be amongst the greatest matches of this millenium.

So in my humble opinion. This was a crap PPV.

Your criteria to rate matches is just different than mine, thats all

I agree with those. I tend to get harder on the matches as i approach the *** star area.

for example: Angle vs Michaels = ****

money in the bank = ***1/2

HBK vs Trips Hell in a Cell = ***

I don't think i've ever given anything more than 4.

In retrospect, maybe I was a lil high on the main event admittedly (I was pretty chemically influenced by that point), I'll have to check it out again but it was at least **** no doubt.

On a side note, I can't fathom how Wade Keller gave the Lethal Lockdown match a better star rating than anything else on the show. I thought that was the worst match of the show.

One thing I forgot to mention, from a production standpoint this was one of TNA's better looking ppvs in that sense. The opening video intro was very well done and the camera work to get the best shots inside the cage via the overhead cam or else by having those holes in the cage definately worked.

Here's Meltz's summary, from today's report:

for those of you who wait until after the show for feedback regarding buying replays, this wasn't the best TNA show, but it was better than 80% of the recent WWE PPV shows.

Just saw the show! I liked it, much improvement from Destination X.

First of all the main event was just excellent. The bumping, the selling, the big moves from AJ Styles were just amazing. The Styles Clash onto the thumbtacks was this month's "no he wouldn't...would he? OH GOD!" moment. Seriously AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the world anywhere. The guy is amazing, and this match just proved it to me. Against a bigger, less agile wrestler in a cage gimmick that probably hindered more then it helped, he still made it a dramatic "can't take your eyes off it" match. My rating would be ****1/4

Lethal Lockdown was OK. BG James as the mystery man was kind of a let down (then again its not like they were pushing it as a selling point or anything) and as a brawling type match it was good. Monty's double pounce was great. Don't get the finish though, and it's ashame Waltman screwed up what would have been a sweet Alpha Bomb into a rollup finish.

Daniels vs. Skipper was good but not great. It started off really well with the chain wrestling, and the quick moves and counter moves. Then it stalled in the middle, but picked up again by the end. Skipper's dive to Daniel's back was great, and the finish with the Angel's Wings, reversed and then hit was good too. Would give it ***

AMW vs. Team Canada do it again. 2nd best match of the night for me. It's like they find a way to keep having great matches, and keeping Harris locked on the outside added a new dynamic, added heat and gave Allister Ralphs something to do. The finish was sounds silly but they made it work with Petey getting his comeupance and DESTOYING~! Young, leading to the death sentence. Have no problem giving this one ****

Raven vs. Hardy was a good carwreck match that took advantage of the chaotic atmosphere. Hardy's swanton from the top through the table was a nuts spot on a night of them, but his legdrop it looks like once again didn't break all of the table that he wanted to and responded by kicking them again. Damn tables.

4 way Xscape was ok but nothing memorable. The finish was kind of silly but I guess that's because of the gimmick. Shocker flippity thing to eliminate Sonjay was sweet.

Dustin vs. Roode as expected was the sleeper match of the night...as in it nearly put me to sleep. But the fans were in to the gimmick at the end with the blindfolds, so whatever. Those Orlando crowds are great. They keep the show pumped full of energy. I just noticed that both Team Canada matches ended with them blinded and accidently attacking their Teamates. If that was intentional it was a nice bit of continuity.

The first match obviously was a little screwed up because of Candido's injury, but they made the best. Lance Hoyt is OVER with the crowd and it's about time they turned him face. I think he's ready for a push. His moonsault off the top and the flip german suplex he took were both spectacular, especially for a guy his size. He's more then just Nash Jr.

Overall this was a solid PPV from TNA. Definite thumbs up with only 1 bad match. A definite bounce back from Destination X and I think as an overall show this was better then Against All Odds too (although no one match could touch the Ironman from that show). The all cage gimmick worked, barely. They should never do it again and hopefully won't have another cage match for a year, but overall it was not a disaster and gave the show the unique feel they were going for, and importantly spiced up a lot of the matches allowing a new dynamic to perform big spots from.

Now get the title on Styles so people can stop using "Jarrett on top" as a reason not to watch TNA!