TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Hulk Hogan killed Harley Race?

I was reading wrestlecrap when I noticed this:

Following Duggan's quick win, we get a look back at the legendary Duggan-King Harley Race feud.

Thankfully, this is before Race died in the storyline at the hands of Hulk Hogan. Well, at least that's what I got out of it - I very vividly remember the WWF airing shots of Harley floating in the clouds. In fact, I can envision his epitath now:

Here lies good King Harley

Who generally was quite snarly

Can you blame him, really, though?

The King gimmick really did blow

R.I.P.

"King" Harley Race

1988-1988

WTF? Someone explain this to me, or is RD just rambling out of his ass?

Guest LooneyTune

Actually, he isn't. Let me explain the best I can....

During the SNME match in the spring of '88 betwen Race/Hogan, Race took a bump onto a table, injuring his internal organs, and forcing him into retirement. Throughout the summer, randomly, a picture of Race's face on a cloud would appear on screen, as if he was looking down from heaven. This all lead to his return in October, which then lead to him retiring for real (at least from WWF) a few weeks following the 1989 Royal Rumble.

During the SNME match in the spring of '88 betwen Race/Hogan, Race took a bump onto a table, injuring his internal organs, and forcing him into retirement. Throughout the summer, randomly, a picture of Race's face on a cloud would appear on screen, as if he was looking down from heaven. This all lead to his return in October, which then lead to him retiring for real (at least from WWF) a few weeks following the 1989 Royal Rumble.

Well...

Excellent.

This got me wondering...

Did Jerry Lawler ever have anything to say about Race being given the King gimmick in WWF when Lawler was using it?

Just a thought I had.

Guest LooneyTune

Now that I think of it, that is pretty damn silly, and the "Hogan killed Race" joke is the best thing out of it.

Throughout the summer, randomly, a picture of Race's face on a cloud would appear on screen, as if he was looking down from heaven.

That is some of the funniest shit I have read. Just fantastic.

One of the first times I can remember seeing it was when Gorilla mentioned Rick Martel's injury, Heenan said "you think I'm gonna concern myself with Rick Martel's condition? what about the King? he went through major surgery and had to abdicate the throne" and as soon as he mentioned Race the purple clouds would appear.

Edit: The moment of silence bit with the Heenan Family was good as well.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
This got me wondering...

Did Jerry Lawler ever have anything to say about Race being given the King gimmick in WWF when Lawler was using it?

Just a thought I had.

Lawler sued the WWF for promoting "The King" was wrestling in Memphis..... I think he says he won in his book.

Guest Sturm316

As accurate and silly as this is, it should be clarified that at no point did the WWF claim Harley was killed or had died (storyline or otherwise), just that his injuries forced him into retirement.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Quick note: RD Reynolds is getting worse and worse.... I predict a Scott Keith like backlash within a year.

I've heard about the Race thing repeatedly. I'm pretty sure I remember Hogan slamming him on the table.

My question is, does anyone actually have a picture of the "Harley Race in the clouds" shot? I've scoured the internet and have turned up with nothing. I really want to see it for myself.

I've heard about the Race thing repeatedly. I'm pretty sure I remember Hogan slamming him on the table.

If I remember right Harley put Hogan of the table and was going to jump of the ring apron on to Hogan. And the last second Hogan moved and Harley went thru the table.

Where's that picture of Kevin Nash when you need it? :lol:

Oh my god, that clip ruled the school. :headbang:

Mike McGuirk doing the ring announcing... Brooklyn Brawler before he was the Brawler and of course, Gorilla and the Brain...

Gorilla: The condition of Strike Force remains to be seen...

Brain: Who cares?

And they cap it off with Sean Mooney in the Events Center!